Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda Accord 2004 Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord 2004 Wont Start

First off, i have been around this site for some time checking threads and couldnt find anything so I have registered to be part of Honda-Tech.com so big hello to all.

I own a honda accord 2004 and the key broke inside the ignition which was the original key. I have the spare as well, no way i could take it out. Ordered the whole ignition switch along with the immobilizer etc. Tell you guys the truth those 2 bolts that hold the antilock steering wheel was not easy to take out but i did after watching some videos on youtube.

After installing the new ignition and all the parts, I tried to start the car and it would not start. After doing some research, the electronic circle piece apparently has the chip and the immobilizer that is registered to the ECU, i used the "spare" part so I guess its not registered with the computer.
I used all the old parts on the switch on the new one taking out the electronic parts. Also i took out the plastic part/original key to the "new" key to see if this will get the vehicle started.
My question is... it wont start. I used all original factory electronics just the metal key piece is different. Please help i'm frustrated I cant drive my car.

As i said i have the original key (plastic part), spare key, is there something i'm missing?

Cheers
Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord 2004 Wont Start

Sounds like an immobilizer issue. Kind of hard to follow what parts were replaced, Call and get the e-brake override code for the immobilizer and enter it and see if the car starts.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda Accord 2004 Wont Start

Here we go. I have fixed the issue with the immobilizer and ignition.
Those that have problems with their key not turning into the I II start then here is a quick fix guide.

The crap side about this job is, you need to take 2 bolts out of the steering, which can take up to 2+ hours. Unless if you've got the right tools. I just used flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

First disconnect the whole battery +/- and wait about 10+ minutes to it released charge just to be safe. (Airbag)
Start taking the back part of the dash for your steering, where you will see wires all over the place. There are few hidden screws when you take it out, make sure you start taking those 2 screws out, because you will need to put your car into N and put your Hand brake up. After you take out those 2 bolts, take out the ignition switch carefully. Do not damage or open any of the plastic electronics. The front face you will need to be careful thats where your immobilizer chip is located.
Btw you need the original key, so if you dont have it, make sure you get the actual keys+ignition. The ignition system, come with the immobilizer and if you dont have the original key then you will have to visit the honda dealer to get it programmed. But if you do have the key, you have to change all the parts you took out from old ignition to the new one. There are 3 of them (plastic boxing) with wires.
Then plug the battery back, wait about 2 minutes, then start your car and it should work. But remember to put your OLD chip from ur bad key to your new key. The key has to changed for the car to start.

Your car wont be starting but there is a solution for that. You can contact the honda dealer and ask for Emergency Brake Start/Code. You gotta prove you're the owner of the vehicle, usually fax or email them ur drivers license and VIN. You cant find this codes online due to the VIN specific code for each car. Unless some honda-tech members are actually working for honda dealer lol
Then the car will start, you can take it to the dealer without paying an arm and a leg to towing company. Get the key programmed and you're good to go.

Ofcourse put everything back together. You need to buy new 2 screws to secure the ignition switch. All this cost me 45 bux plus the part i got online for 87 bux. Dealer quoted me 875 bux for part and 250 dollars for labor..
Cheers hope this helps