Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Help with remote start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with remote start

Hey,
I'm new here and hoping someone can give me some good news concerning the remote starter for my newly purchased 2010 Accord. Like a dummy, I didn't research the factory remote starter system and bought it when I purchased the car. Unfortunately, it is working as it is designed to: it starts the car with no problem but if you unlock the car the engine stops. I understand Honda's safety reasoning for this (understand but don't agree) but as configured this will be absolutely no use to me. I live in the South and want to be able to cool off the car while loading stuff into the trunk, for example groceries or golf clubs. Is there any way to configure the remote so that the car can be unlocked and the trunk opened without the engine cutting off?
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Help with remote start

I am not sure about the factory remote starter but after market can control it separately. There may be a cut-off switch or another relay to it. I would personally contact dealer to get an idea as well but I am pretty sure it is not doable with factory install (I could be wrong).

Best of luck.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been told there is no way of overriding this safety feature or changing settings to the factory settings. However, I have installed the Honda access remote start on a 2010 Accord and the control unit does have an accesible switch panel. I was told that changing these switch positions couldn't change the operation of the system. The switches are labeled as such
SW:1 RR Junction unit -----------------------> OFF
SW:2 Trunk or Tailgate ----------------------> OFF
SW:3 Smart Entry -----------------------------> OFF
SW:4 Horn or Buzzer Answerback ------> OFF
SW:5 Trunk Main SW -------------------------> OFF
SW:6 Reserve ----------------------------------> ON

Also, in the installation instructions there is a note that if any of the switch positions are changed the unit would have to be unplugged and plugged back in for the changes to take effect. So, I have wondered if these switches would change the operation, but Honda will not set it up this way for legal reasons and also advise against. However these functions may very well be available, but with no possible legal ties to Honda. I am not suggesting anyone change their own or anyone elses switch positions. These are just notes out loud.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
New User

Thanks for the reply. I asked the dealer about this and they wouldn't change the settings because of the liability concerns. I may give this a try.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am interested.