Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Help a Girl out.. 06 Accord almost killed me

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Girl out.. 06 Accord almost killed me

Sooo... here is my little story. Hoping this forum can help me out. A little vacation in the Berkshires of Mass and I go to start my car this morning and can't. Seemed as if the battery was dead. I could get a little juice then nada...

I have AAA come out and jump me... Starts right up... he tells me to leave it running for a while to charge up and he leaves... The car dies 4 minutes after he leaves. He comes back and he jumps again; this time, he will follow me to the Texaco to get a battery... 50 feet down the road, shuts off in the middle of a busy intersection.. Almost have a truck crash into me...

So now the car is towed to a Local Mechanic in Lee and Im home in CT with no vehicle...
Any ideas on what this may be. Ignition Switch, relay of some sort. What should I say to the shop tomorrow morning.. I just don't want to get screwed (the bad way)

Thanks everyone,

Jessica
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help a Girl out.. 06 Accord almost killed me

dont know if this helps..but maybe depending on what he tells you...
take your car back out and tow it to a more reputable shop...then compare both of their conclusions about the cars problem...
Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alternator... the alternator is failing and not recharging the battery after the battery is jumped. your car can't just run on the battery without the alternator. as the engine spins, the belt on the alternator turns from the crankshaft turning and the alternator recharges the battery...

could be something else but not very likely, still have your warranty on your car? have the dealership exchange it out, if not, alternators only run about 100-150 from autozone, and labor shouldn't be too expensive at a local shop as long as that's the only issue. because you're a girl, take a guy with you that knows a little about cars just so they dont think they can screw you over.

good luck
Old 06-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks 4Gen... I really appreciate the intel... The shop is reputable and have been told by everyone in Lee, that the mechanics there are amazing... The labor rate is 62.50 an hour... just curious what kind of tests do they run to determine that it is the Alternator?

Also, I bought the vehicle from an auto wholesaler.. had it inspected and checked by a mechanice before buying and I am past the 30 day warranty they had.. Does honda have a standard warranty even if I didn't buy it from them?

Thanks in advance..

-Jessica
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think an easy way to check to see if the alternator is working good is by using a multi meter. Set it to VDC and hook it up to the battery. It should be reading somewhere in the 14v range, meaning it's charging the battery and it's working properly.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- Check the battery with a volt meter. It should be 12V and 14V with the engine running. If 14V running, your alt is good.

- Check again after you let the car sit for a while. Does the battery still hold 12V?

- Do not always count on the battery eye. It could be green, but the battery is still bad (see next)

- CCA - Cold Crank Amp is just as important. Most volt meter we have at home can't read that. A nornal battery will need about 530. I think you need about 400 to turn a 4 cylinder engine. In the 330 range, you'll be really pushing your luck from being stuck somewhere.

Cliff: I'm going to guess it's a dead battery only. My 06 Accord battery only lasted 2.5 years. Honda cost cutting FTL. Your car is still new enough that I'm going to doubt that it's the alt. Caution: Don't let the mech trying to rip off a girl. Ask to see their test number with the meter on both the engine running and not running.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the Alternator for sure! Just tell the shop guys to replace it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Foreign Symbols

Originally Posted by Riding_Young
Its the Alternator for sure! Just tell the shop guys to replace it.
There are more than a few things that can cause this same symptom, even thought the alternator is most likely, it's not a slam dunk. Usually an alternator will throw a light as well. Also, a battery can short bad enough to cause this as well.

Just leave it to the pros, pay them, and if you continue to have problems, then go from there.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
-

Cliff: I'm going to guess it's a dead battery only. My 06 Accord battery only lasted 2.5 years. Honda cost cutting FTL. Your car is still new enough that I'm going to doubt that it's the alt. Caution: Don't let the mech trying to rip off a girl. Ask to see their test number with the meter on both the engine running and not running.

You were correct... It was only the battery... Now the car runs even smoother.. if that is even possible... Interstate battery for 98 dollars with a 30 dollar labor and diagnostic fee... I feel good about it.. they could have said alternator and I would have believed them and shelled out the money...

Thanks everyone..

-Jessica
Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PVD24
You were correct... It was only the battery... Now the car runs even smoother.. if that is even possible... Interstate battery for 98 dollars with a 30 dollar labor and diagnostic fee... I feel good about it.. they could have said alternator and I would have believed them and shelled out the money...

Thanks everyone..

-Jessica
Thats just what I was about to post. Many people with bad batteries have this exact problem. Many people jump to conclusions and think of the worst, like the alternator. Like every one always says, start with the simple things first. Like in your case the battery.

Glad you got it resolved.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct battery probably had a bad cell and wouldnt hold a charge.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alternator or belt for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,also check the fuse box under the HOOD,,,next to the fuses should be two separate cables,,one is for the alternator and one for the battery,,,,make sure they are tight correctly,,,,
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...

Hm. I was gonna post and say "alternator" like everyone else. I got the impression from the first post that a new battery had already been tried (because the driver was following you to a Texaco for a battery).

Anyway, that's good news that it was just the battery. But it definitely did sound like a bad alternator! I had an alternator problem with one of my old cars and tried to jump it 10 miles down the expressway with my friends...same story: first jump lasts a while, second jump lasts a little less, third jump lasts even less, and then nothing.