Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Help with 2004 accord motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2004 accord motor mounts

well this is my first post on this site although its not my first time visiting...I love the amount of knowledge that users on this forum have..and I've been on this site pretty much daily since i purchased a 2004 Honda accord to help me in resolving most of my issues.
So i've searched the site but could not find any detailed instructions/diagrams/pics on how to replace a broken front engine mount (I probably did not search well enough but I'm sure they exist). I've got the basic idea which is to loosen bolts on all mounts (I think a total of 4), raise the engine a bit to relieve pressure on bolts (using a pc of wood to spread spread the load on the pan), and installing the new mounts...My questions are: How many engine mounts do you need to loosen? and do they need to be loosend in a specific order.
If I replace the front mount, should I replace all the other mounts as well? obviously if broke then yes, but if not, I've heard that general wear and tear will make the mounts soft.
Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
BTW - Car is a 2004 Honda Accord LX, 4dr, 4 Cyl with 98,000 miles.
Thanks in advance.
mike.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Help with 2004 accord motor mounts

I don't think you have to loosen the bolts on other mounts. You just need to place a jack under the engine to support it, and to help line up the mount with the engine and car body. When you do the timing belt replacement, you have to remove the passenger side engine mount. So you have to place a jack under the engine oil pan, to support it while the mount is out. Assuming the engine is lower on that side, because the mount is broken, you should only have to raise the engine to the point where the mount would be holding it, if it wasn't broken.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Trial User

Thanks for replying..that definitely makes sense..I'll be picking up the new mount tomorrow and hopefully installing without any problems...thanks again for the feedback..
I love this forum!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Help with 2004 accord vibration

So here's the update: since my last post, I replaced the front engine mount (this one is the vacuum assisted type), and once I started the car, I noticed a vibration in the motor. After further inspection, it appeared that I need to replace the rear and the Passenger side mounts in addition to the top transmission mount. So while i was at I changed the lower ones too to ensure that I didn't miss any...So in total i replaced 6 mounts...Unfortunately, my vibration problem is still there. here's what observations on the vibration problem: it's pretty faint at in park, or neutral, but extremely noticeable in Drive or reverse, and get's even worst if the AC is turned on. I didn't have this vibration prior to changing my front motor mount. I'm wondering if I installed incorrectly (not sure if there's a sequence as to which bolts should be tightened first/torqued)....Or if this is a different issue that manifested after installed the mount; Has anyone had any issues with the Engine mount control solenoid? is this and IACV issue? I've also read on other posts that this may be caused by a bad CPU? Can anyone help me resolve this vibration issue? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Trial User

Hello ^ , i’m curious if you were able to fix your problem of vibrations after changing your motor mounts. I recently changed mine too and i’m getting the same amount of vibration you’re describing. I’m not sure if it’s the quality of motor mount or something else
Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you have more causing th vibration than the motor mounts. TO answer your questions about replacing them, you replace only the mounts that are torn or the mounts, that if vacuum assisted, have a failure in the vacuum portion of the mount. There is no sequence of loosening or tightening the bolts that hold them in but it is fairly important to use a torque wrench to tighten the hardware. You just loosen the mounting bolts (typically a 14mm bolt) pull the mount out, swap in the new one, install and tighten the mounting bolts to torque and your done. You could have a problem with the vacuum assisted front mount, the vacuum operation is designed to allow for a variable resistance or stiffness of the mount to create less vibration under certain driving conditions. This means that a mount with the vacuum portion of it failing isn't going to be quite as bad as a torn regular mount but it can mean it will be a bit loose and cause for some vibration when there shouldn't be. That would be the first thing I check and from there it would be diagnosing the engine for vibration causing problems. Things like a bad torque converter or misfires could be the culprit.