Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

HELP! 2003 Accord - ECM / PCM Failure - Diagnosis Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2003 Accord - ECM / PCM Failure - Diagnosis Help Please!

Hi all,

My sister has a 2003 Honda Accord (USDM) with the 2.4L and auto tranny.

I was changing her O2 sensor yesterday, and like a dummy, was doing it with the key set to on (for the radio) - but not being a big honda guy I guess it was on Engine II ( right before the starter engagement point - fuel pump on, etc)

So I was trying to get the O2 out (rust-welded to the post-cat) and my hammer drill grabbed the o2 cable and in one move wrapped it around the o@ socket and snapped the wires.

I didn't think much of it, as I didnt' care if the old one was ruined. However I could not get the old o@ out (rust-welded in forever, I think!)

So, my problem came when I started it back up, telling my sister to take it to a shop with a torch...

Problem: When we started it up, ALL the dash lights were on! We took it for a drive and the tach died, then the speedo, then fuel and coolant temp.. Then eventually the car died!

A jump got it running again, but with all the dash lights on again... So I think the ECM is toast based on what I saw, plus it makes sense that it worked after a jump (at least ran, I mean...) as the ECMwasnt telling the alternator to charge the battery, so it was just running on the battery and died...

I pulled the ECM today and plan to get a replacement from teh local Honda wreckers tomorrow...

Any other suggestions on what it could be? It feels to me like, in my boneheaded mistake, that I probably grounded out the ECU by snapping the O2 sensor wires with the car in full-power engaged.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: HELP! 2003 Accord - ECM / PCM Failure - Diagnosis Help Please!

Originally Posted by DukeYYC
Hi all,

My sister has a 2003 Honda Accord (USDM) with the 2.4L and auto tranny.

I was changing her O2 sensor yesterday, and like a dummy, was doing it with the key set to on (for the radio) - but not being a big honda guy I guess it was on Engine II ( right before the starter engagement point - fuel pump on, etc)

So I was trying to get the O2 out (rust-welded to the post-cat) and my hammer drill grabbed the o2 cable and in one move wrapped it around the o@ socket and snapped the wires.

I didn't think much of it, as I didnt' care if the old one was ruined. However I could not get the old o@ out (rust-welded in forever, I think!)

So, my problem came when I started it back up, telling my sister to take it to a shop with a torch...

Problem: When we started it up, ALL the dash lights were on! We took it for a drive and the tach died, then the speedo, then fuel and coolant temp.. Then eventually the car died!

A jump got it running again, but with all the dash lights on again... So I think the ECM is toast based on what I saw, plus it makes sense that it worked after a jump (at least ran, I mean...) as the ECMwasnt telling the alternator to charge the battery, so it was just running on the battery and died...

I pulled the ECM today and plan to get a replacement from teh local Honda wreckers tomorrow...

Any other suggestions on what it could be? It feels to me like, in my boneheaded mistake, that I probably grounded out the ECU by snapping the O2 sensor wires with the car in full-power engaged.
Check your fuses....
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Check your fuses....
Would fuses cause the car to run and act like I described? I thought with a fuse it would either be on or off, not crazy behaviour?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure none of the screwed up wires are touching each other, then check all the fuses.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And be sure the battery is ok....you could have drained it while running the radio and a low battery and or battery connections are going to cause all kinds of strange things.