Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

get my car barred!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get my car barred!! HELP!

Does anyone know what do I need here in california to have my car barred? And also what are the consecuenses if I just to try and i dont get it barred would my car be on a black list or something? I also wanted to see if anyone where is the VIN located in a J32A3 engine??
please help im new to this!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: get my car barred!! HELP!

Never had to get a car through the country of CA's inspection laws so I'm not much help.

Have you talked with a "ref" about your plans? And just what are your plans?

The VIN belongs to the car, are you looking for the emmisions codes or the engine code?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an 03 accord coupe with a J32A3 engine on it when i bought it i was privided with the smog check but now its time to do the smog check again and if i dont get barred i would not pass the smog, i just wanted to know the steps and also if i dont pass the inspection is my car going to black listed until i fix it? And i wanted to make sure the engine wasnt stolen how can i check that
thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, not good with the laws in the country of CA.

So ALL of what I think is up in the air. Prove the engine has been in the car since purchase. I passed inspenction when you purchased the car and have done nothing to is since......there should be records of the original inspection.

I from a different state and I really can't help much with CA laws.....sorry.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is possible to get your car barred in CA. There is a laundry list of things that has to be exact for the setup to pass. If you are diligent about having all your "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted go for it. Talk with your local ref. station about all the requirements.

A few things to consider:

The engine has to be newer or the same year as the car. Also, the engine must be from a similar platform (ie; passenger car). The ECU, Vacuum setup, and exhaust have to be in factory working order. It also must pass smog at the time of inspection (obviously).

I just finished a 98+ Type R swap in a EG and it went through the BARR process here in CA. The inspector wanted to fail it, but didn't, because he couldn't find anything out of line with the swap or emissions.

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its important to note that if the car itself is not equipped with the VTEC solenoid, and added later it could be an issue.

All motor swaps in CA must have all emission controls in tact and not modified.

The difficult part for the op is proving that the swap was legal in the first place. Bill of sale will not work since it was already in the car. Maybe contacting the last owner to see if they have proof of purchase for the swap and go from there.

If it fails bar process, the avenue will be going to original spec or purchase an engine with proof of sale. Good luck.