Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

ger-gull.....

Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ger-gull.....

Ya you know that ger-gull noise the valves will make when your pulling a small hill or something like that....give it a little more gas and it stops or let off the gas and the noise fades. Well I only have 75k on the car. Could it need a valve job already? I just switched to 87 octane gas this last fill. Hope that will help..
Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ger-gull..... (Capt Earl)

That's detonation(not preignition) and it's NOT a good thing... The flame front is moving across the piston face unevenly and setting up a harmonic that causes the pinging along the piston skirt... DO NOT, keep the car operating in this condition...either roll off the gas or gas it harder(whichever gets rid of the pinging more effectively, usually rolling off the throttle), Sounds like you got some bad gas(eg CHEAP)... check you owners manual and run HIGHER octane if need be... that will rid you of that condition
Old 11-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Default Re: ger-gull..... (MSchu)

Man your everywhere...Thank goodness for people like you....Car repair was never my strong suit. Dont think its the gas. I could try getting it from a different place for a while.
See I just got this car in April. God knows my wife will have a fit it I have to start sinking money into it already! Hell, I thought the service dept at my Honda dealership was just a place to grab a quick smoke. With Honda's rep I didn't think they ever had cars in there!
If the gas thing wont fix it, any other advice...The book calls for 86 or higher.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 PM
My Name is Nobody

Yeap... definitely run 89+... I know it is more expensive, but its cheaper than a new engine. new gas will take a tank or two to show gains... you may also want to do a quick tank full of injector cleaner with a higher octane fill up, just read the instructions on the injector cleaner, and get one that safe for O2 sensors(most are these days)
Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

87? Holy Christ, they sell gas below 87 octane, assuming you mean you upgraded to 87?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:19 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt Earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya you know that ger-gull noise the valves will make when your pulling a small hill or something like that....give it a little more gas and it stops or let off the gas and the noise fades. Well I only have 75k on the car. Could it need a valve job already? I just switched to 87 octane gas this last fill. Hope that will help.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't panic. In the first place, if you've gone to 87 octane from 93 octane and it's a J motor from the past few years, it'll take the computer a couple of days to zero in on what the correct mixture and timing should be. Its first reaction is to detect pre-ignition and fall back to the default programme, but that might not be enough if you've been driving on high octane for a couple of years.

In the second place, the injectors on our cars make noises under some circumstances that can be startlingly similar to pre-ignition noises! To the uninitiated, non-mechanically inclined drivers it's pretty hard to tell a valve rattle from a pre-ignition ping from an injector rattle.

The injector rattle's pretty harmless. But if it's <u>just</u> started doing it after switching octanes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have somebody else listen to it or check it out.

It is not unusual for a big Honda to need a valve <u>adjustment</u> (not a valve "job") when you get up around 80,000 miles.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Re: ger-gull..... (George Knighton)

One time I was at a gas station and they had 86 octane then 87 was the upgraded price. Watch those sneeky stations!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 AM

Default Re: ger-gull..... (Accord1234)

Well, I'll tell ya. I got this car in April, though a Honda dealership. What I'm thinking is the guy who had it before me used the higher octane, where I, from the go, started to put 86 in her. Well the book calls for 86 or higher. You think this may be the case, and if I just revert back to the higher octane that this "noise" whatever it may be will correct?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 AM

Default Re: ger-gull..... (Accord1234)

One more thing. Only really her this when I pull, say a hill. Sitting still either in drive, reverse, or Neutral, I cant reproduce the noise. Only while I'm actually driving. And ya it has about 76k. The guy who had it before me also put a k/n cool air induction kit on it.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 AM
My Name is Nobody

Detonation... not pre ignition... in order for pre ignition to be present you need a piece of your combustion chamber to remain red hot... allowing the gas charge to pre ignite. I highly doubt that is what you have going on. While it is true that the Accord ECU will learn... like I said, try a higher octane rating or try a different gas

Modified by MSchu at 5:01 AM 11/4/2008
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Re: ger-gull..... (MSchu)

will do...I think the highest is 93....although the book says 86 or higher, putting 93 don't bother me price wise, I just want to make sure it wont hurt the car. Always heard that a two high of octane will hurt your car.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt Earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will do...I think the highest is 93....although the book says 86 or higher, putting 93 don't bother me price wise, I just want to make sure it wont hurt the car. Always heard that a two high of octane will hurt your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Our computers will actually advance timing and give you an extra 10 bhp if you use 91+ octane. This is for the 6 cylinder model. I'm not sure which engine the OP has, because it is never stated. I'm about 99.9% positive 93 octane won't cause any adverse effects on a normal gasoline engine. Some cars require premium, but there is no such thing as a car that requires 87.