Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Fuel Filter Replacement Accord 2005 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Replacement Accord 2005 Coupe

Normally these(fuel filter) would be replaced at 30 or 60,000 miles.
Honda Accord 2005 4 cyl coupe.
But my service booklets that came with the car dont indicate that the fuel filter needs changing and those service recommendations go up to 180,000 miles. Additionally my Haynes manual makes no service or replacement recommendations for this up to and through 120,000 miles. At best I find guys giving their advice to replace at 60,000 or sometimes less on the internet....but that seems uninformed and not based on the actual car or fuel filter specs or changing engineering realities.

Obviously my take is that these fuel filters are now engineered for longer duty, but I can't find any material discussing the matter.

????
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter Replacement Accord 2005 Coupe

Your car does not have a fuel filter. There is a screen (sock) on the fuel pump pick-up, in the tank, but that's it. Unless you have some really dirty gas, the screen should never get clogged up. I assume Honda has decided that anything small enough to go through the screen, can be burned, along with the fuel with no adverse affects.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Your car does not have a fuel filter.
a filter is a filter is a filter and it is filtering the fuel!
What else should we call it?
Its definetley a fuel filter and and Haynes describes a fuel filter housing and gasket and recommends the filter be replaced if fuel pressure drops.

I get your implied point though, its not a self contained, in-line cannister like they used to be. But its still the fuel filter, no less than the filter I use for ground coffee.

I did find in my haynes manual just now:
'The fuel fitler, which is located in the fuel tank, is an integral part of the fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit assembly. There is no scheduled maintenance interval for the filter. But you should change the filter if fuel pressure ever drops below the operating pressure listed in....assuming that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are okay.'

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB2
a filter is a filter is a filter and it is filtering the fuel!
What else should we call it?
Its definetley a fuel filter and and Haynes describes a fuel filter housing and gasket and recommends the filter be replaced if fuel pressure drops.

I get your implied point though, its not a self contained, in-line cannister like they used to be. But its still the fuel filter, no less than the filter I use for ground coffee.

I did find in my haynes manual just now:
'The fuel fitler, which is located in the fuel tank, is an integral part of the fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit assembly. There is no scheduled maintenance interval for the filter. But you should change the filter if fuel pressure ever drops below the operating pressure listed in....assuming that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are okay.'

Thank you.
What else should we call it? How about a strainer, which is much more accurate. A filter IMO is designed to stop much smaller particles, than a screen/strainer does. Regardless, you should never have to change it, that's why it's not mentioned in the maintenance section.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be called a non servicable filter. Because if the sock, strainer, filter fuel pickup sack, whatever you want to call it is clogged to the point of lowered fuel pressure then there are bigger issues than what a gas skrainer can permanently fix. At that point you could assume contaminated fuel system in whole. While fuel injectors have "filters" they are not thought to be that serviceable because of difficulty/ necessity. This is the same thought of the fuel "filter" in Honda Accords 1998 to present.