Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Fragments of metal in oil change, Accord 2011 K24z2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fragments of metal in oil change, Accord 2011 K24z2 engine

Hello, first post here. I have a question about my 2011 Accord LX K24Z2 engine. I have 58,000 miles on the car and engine. I was changing my oil and I found these fragments in my drain pan. I have one of those drain pans with the integrated funnel in the top so I'm sure it was clean before I started. I started with a clean and empty drain pan and I found this stuff. I sieved the oil after I collected it and found more metal.

Here are some specifics 1) metal is magnetic. 2) some seems plated with a heavy coating of chrome. 3) thickness ranges from 10-14 mil. (0.010"-0.014"). 4) there seems to be a radius on the pieces suggesting they came off a ring from 2"-3" in diameter. 5) the metal is super strong and brittle showing tiny cracks where it was deformed. It is not a cheap stamping but rather a hard alloy.

My wild guess is it looks like an oil scraper ring...but, the diameter seems small. Also I was thinking if I lost a ring there would be chunks of piston in the oil which there is absolutely none. I was thinking and hoping the ring land would hold the broken pieces of ring in place if indeed it was a piston ring. But, I'm trying to think of where something like this would come from and all I can come up with is a piston ring. I'm being wishful that the diameter seems a bit small for a piston ring but I may be too hopeful.

Have any of you seen this on your K24 engines? I'm worried the car is unreliable now. I have experience rebuilding a handful of engines but only one Civic CVCC motor. I'm more of a Honda singles motorcycle guy and Mercedes Benz engine guy. This is the wife's car and I'm out of my element.

Any help you can give identifying the part or sharing experiences would help. I searched around and couldn't find much on this problem. Here are some photos. I'll check back. Thanks in advance.

This piece just seems to be heavy plating.

Another piece of plating.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Fragments of metal in oil change, Accord 2011 K24z2 engine

Geez. I haven't seen that on one of these engines yet. Definitely looks like pieces of a ring. Burning oil or,smoking excessively? Check the air filter and intake boot for oil.

Very few pieces of metal in the engine are magnetic anymore, so that definitely narrows down the possibilities. You can lose an oil ring and possibly not have any drivability for awhile(until the oil accumulation becomes excessive) so it may not be noticeable at first.

Keep us updated.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fragments of metal in oil change, Accord 2011 K24z2 engine

Thanks for the response. I just walked out and unfastened the intake at the throttlebody. Completely clean and dry. Not a trace of blowby residue. The tailpipe is super clean too. I polished up the inside of the chrome tip four years ago and it is still shining. Just a light dusting of dry carbon. No sticky oil.

I will monitor the oil closely. It hasn’t burnt much between oil changes. I may top off with a cup from change to change. We will see how it goes.

This is why i am confused. There are pieces of the puzzle missing. Like where are the fragments of piston material? Why does the diameter of this ring seem so much smaller than the k24’s bore of 3.3”? Why can’t I find any other part in the parts diagrams that is a 2”-3” ring in the engine?

I’m almost ready to buy a stock set of rings to smash up and see if they look the same. I have some Honda motorcycle oil scraper rings on my bench and they look narrower (as viewed from above). The heavy chrome plate is also odd.

Oh oh yeah and I forgot to mention in my original post, I cut my old oil filter apart to look for metal and it was clean. I don’t get it.

Or am I just being optimistic?

This thing may be screaming piston ring.