Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Fixed the airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fixed the airbag light

For a while now, whenever I would start my car the airbag light would go out, then come right back on. I could prevent this by buckling the seatbelt before turning the key on. This became a pain, because I was buckling the seatbelt with my keys still in my hand, and I had to wait until I had the seatbelt on, before I could get the A/C blowing (big deal in 100 degree heat). Very easy to do, if you have a star driver bit small enough to fit the two tiny screws in the buckle cover. Remove the two screws, take the one side of the cover off, and pull the little metal spring tab out a little. It's a small metal tab, that pushes on the switch button. Try it out before putting the buckle cover back on.

I know many have said the dealership will fix this, free of charge, under the lifetime seatbelt warranty. I just didn't want to drive 15 miles to the dealership, deal with the service people, then sit around waiting for them to change the buckle, then deciding whether they wanted to charge me.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Fixed the airbag light

There is no "deciding whether they want to charge you." Unless your car has a salvage or rebuilt title, any Honda dealership will fix the seat belt buckle switch free of charge, period. They have to.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess is, they don't fix the buckle like I did, and just replace it. So what happens if they don't have any in stock? You have to come back another day. The service department at the local dealership is not open late, and never on weekends. I would really have to rush to get there after work. Not saying they would do this, but they could blame the problem on a loose wire, and charge me anyway. My last Accord was there two times, for body work and a computer problem, and you would not believe the problems I had getting them off their A55es. I avoid the place, if at all possible. I go there to buy maintenance items, or to look at the new models, and that's it. I know I fixed the problem faster, doing it myself, than if I had taken it to them.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from many years of experience in the automotive safety industry, just fix it correctly, for your sake. if you want to do the work yourself fine but order an entirely new part, theirs a reason that the light comes on, it means something is broken,.

if driving fifteen miles is to much of a inconvenience to fix a potentially defective seat belt then you have a very different set of priorities than myself.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is fixed correctly. Works just like it did before. There was nothing actually broken, it just needed an adjustment. The light goes off, just like it should, so the aibags will deploy just like they should. I see no safety issue.