Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

First car!!! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 First car!!! Please Help!

Hi all,
This is my first post. I am looking for my first car and I'm thinking about a CPO 2008/09 Honda Accord Coupe with 30,000-40,000 miles. I'm really not sure which one (LX-s, EX, EX-L, or the EX-L V6). First of all how is the reliability of this particular mode and other Pros and Cons? Does the manual transmission feel cheap or make a difference(I've never driven stick before)? Does the V6 vs. 4-cyl make that much of a difference? On average how much can I negotiate with the Honda dealer on the price? Hopefully these questions aren't too general. Any input and advice would be extremely helpful in making my decision. Thank you for your time .
Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First car!!! Please Help!

So first off if you aren't looking to spend alot of money 30 - 40k miles is gonna cost you quite a bit. If you want some luxury go with an EX-L. The manual tras on these cars are good as long as you take care of the car. Auto trans are junk. V6 is fun to have and if you do alot of highway/freeway driving you'll get some decent gas milage too. I get around mid 30's MPG and i have a v6 6 speed. A manual car is not fun to drive if you go through alot of commuting traiffic such as stop and go, esspecially if you are just learning but the rewards of a manual is the fun factor on the back roads and if you get a v6 6 speed like i do drag racing unsuspecting cars at stoplights is alot of fun.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Minor one: Stay away from the LX if you are thinking of adding fogs as the factory wiring doesn't support them.

Not good to buy a stick if you haven't learned. You can't take one for a test drive, let alone drive it home. Get a friend to teach you first.

Price varies widely. Check out kbb.com and edmunds.com to get the range.

Just remember dealers negotiate for a living and you are an amateur. No matter what they are going to make money.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Trial User

I have two EX accords. One is a manual, the other is automatic. Both are 4 cylinder. Great cars, all of the EX accessories work great. Don't be afraid of something with a few more miles. When you need parts, get Honda parts. Aftermarket parts don't last.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Trial User

I'm on my 3rd EX and love these cars. I have had very few issues ( I do my own wrenching though) so high mileage cars don't scare me.

car detailing san luis obispo
san luis obispo auto detail
car detailing san luis obispo

auto detail san luis obispo

Last edited by ckfab; 01-30-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jakefrom
So first off if you aren't looking to spend alot of money 30 - 40k miles is gonna cost you quite a bit. If you want some luxury go with an EX-L. The manual tras on these cars are good as long as you take care of the car. Auto trans are junk. V6 is fun to have and if you do alot of highway/freeway driving you'll get some decent gas milage too. I get around mid 30's MPG and i have a v6 6 speed. A manual car is not fun to drive if you go through alot of commuting traiffic such as stop and go, esspecially if you are just learning but the rewards of a manual is the fun factor on the back roads and if you get a v6 6 speed like i do drag racing unsuspecting cars at stoplights is alot of fun.
CPO Manual trans in all the packages have been really hard to find. I don't think I can afford a V-6 at $21000, and IMO I don't need the extra power (First car). I will driving in stop and go traffic for the majority. Manuals just look like so much fun and fuel efficient. Do the 4-cyl feel cheap? Thanks for the input!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stuff
Minor one: Stay away from the LX if you are thinking of adding fogs as the factory wiring doesn't support them.

Not good to buy a stick if you haven't learned. You can't take one for a test drive, let alone drive it home. Get a friend to teach you first.

Price varies widely. Check out kbb.com and edmunds.com to get the range.

Just remember dealers negotiate for a living and you are an amateur. No matter what they are going to make money.
Yeah I don't know how to drive stick , but I was planning on test driving an auto and having my parents test drive the stick, but as of now since MT's are so scarce I'm leaning toward autos. Only the LX's don't support fog lights? (I would have never known and I would have been very disappointed if I got one. Thanks for this comment !) LX-S is out of the question! I've been comparing prices from dealers and KBB. Thank you so much !!!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by aznxdope
CPO Manual trans in all the packages have been really hard to find. I don't think I can afford a V-6 at $21000, and IMO I don't need the extra power (First car). I will driving in stop and go traffic for the majority. Manuals just look like so much fun and fuel efficient. Do the 4-cyl feel cheap? Thanks for the input!
Manuals are fun. But not in stop-and-go traffic, especially if you are new to them. You will be buying a clutch replacement in no time. You should get what you want, but I think you would be happier with an auto. If you were buying something other than an Accord, I might feel differently.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you will love an accord. i am a civic dude ATM but a 6 speed Accord, too much fun

just make sure someone teaches you how to drive a Standard properly!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a manual, you won't regret it no matter where/how you drive. I think theyre actually more fun in stop and go traffic and they help you always pay attention to driving. I find myself getting easily distracted when i drive an auto and I just feel so separated from the car. I have never met someone who said, man I wish I had an automatic. I know countless people who have said "when I first got into cars I didnt know much so I got an auto, now Im stuck with it" I had no idea how to drive stick when I bought my civic, I just got in it and taught myself how in like an hour. Now I never want to buy an automatic car again.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by taylormcj
I have two EX accords. One is a manual, the other is automatic. Both are 4 cylinder. Great cars, all of the EX accessories work great. Don't be afraid of something with a few more miles. When you need parts, get Honda parts. Aftermarket parts don't last.
We'll my parents have a C300 2011 rental ATM (CLS550 at shop) and its SO nice, considering I'm used to driving a suburban!!! Will the 4-cyl feel hella cheap then? I still cant find a MT.

$19,000 CPO 2009 EX 18,000 miles (Auto). Sounds good? How much can I negotiate?

$18,900 CPO 2008 EX-L 33,000 miles (Auto). Sounds good? How much can I negotiate?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aznxdope
We'll my parents have a C300 2011 rental ATM (CLS550 at shop) and its SO nice, considering I'm used to driving a suburban!!! Will the 4-cyl feel hella cheap then? I still cant find a MT.

$19,000 CPO 2009 EX 18,000 miles (Auto). Sounds good? How much can I negotiate?

$18,900 CPO 2008 EX-L 33,000 miles (Auto). Sounds good? How much can I negotiate?
good luck trying to negotiate on a CPO car. and please tell me YOU are buying the car, not mommy and daddy
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AztecEGhatch
get a manual, you won't regret it no matter where/how you drive. I think theyre actually more fun in stop and go traffic and they help you always pay attention to driving. I find myself getting easily distracted when i drive an auto and I just feel so separated from the car. I have never met someone who said, man I wish I had an automatic. I know countless people who have said "when I first got into cars I didnt know much so I got an auto, now Im stuck with it" I had no idea how to drive stick when I bought my civic, I just got in it and taught myself how in like an hour. Now I never want to buy an automatic car again.
Only time ive ever wished i had an auto was when i was driving through San Fran in stop and go on hills. Clutch overheated like crazy lol but i agree with you driving a manual does make you pay more attention and much more fun.

Originally Posted by GDean
good luck trying to negotiate on a CPO car. and please tell me YOU are buying the car, not mommy and daddy
Whats wrong with parents buying a car for you? Mine bought me my car after graduation. I'd rather have my parents buy me a car then be stuck driving my parents cars all the time. Got my car for $12k and paying my parents back half of it. If you can actually drive what you have i see no problem with parents buying you a car if they can. I think the problem most people have with parents buying kids a car is that they wish their own parents could afford to do that. I've worked hard in my education and still am working hard, so why shouldn't i be rewarded if possible?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jakefrom
Only time ive ever wished i had an auto was when i was driving through San Fran in stop and go on hills. Clutch overheated like crazy lol but i agree with you driving a manual does make you pay more attention and much more fun.

Whats wrong with parents buying a car for you? Mine bought me my car after graduation. I'd rather have my parents buy me a car then be stuck driving my parents cars all the time. Got my car for $12k and paying my parents back half of it. If you can actually drive what you have i see no problem with parents buying you a car if they can. I think the problem most people have with parents buying kids a car is that they wish their own parents could afford to do that. I've worked hard in my education and still am working hard, so why shouldn't i be rewarded if possible?
my parents "bought" me my first car, in otherwords, they paid the initial money and I paid them back everydime throughout high school. granted, i did not call it MY car until it was paid in full, by me.

I just have this sense of, work hard, play hard. Where I live, Sammamish, Washington, kids are self entitled and parents buy them everything, and nobody up here works for what they have, kids drive 45k mercedes and BMW's.

Don't get me wrong OP, its great the rents' are helpin you get a car, it should be one of those things most parents do, but PLEASE, for the sake of not having people call you a "spoiled little ***** who's parents buy him everything" remain cool about it.

Also, after reading this thread, I went to the local honda stealership, they have a 08 coupe sportpackage 6-6 black on black, it is CPO'd but they want 21500 for it with about 10k miles. When sitting down with the salesman, he asked what I was looking for, I told him that car exactly, he said it was 24 o.t.d, I noticed a few small dings and dents, and the fact that the car had been smoked in and it was apparent, little things here and there, I told him that I would fix it all by myself for 20k O.T.D, he said with CPO cars, there is NO room for negotiating and trying to get the price down. IMO, your best bet, would be to scour craigslist and smaller lots, sure it may have some more miles and might not have a FULL warranty, but you sure as hell can get them ALOT cheaper!

Good luck with the search bro!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1. My parents are have given me a budget (Very generous IMO compared to my other friends), and I plan on adding on top of that to get a car. What they don't know is that I plan to pay them back in full. My uncle knows somebody at Albertsons and I'm looking to soon get a job there.

Side note: I do study really hard to get the grades that I am getting.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much did you buy them for?