Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

fans operating abnormally

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fans operating abnormally

Hi. I hope someone can shed some light on this problem I have. I have a 2010 Honda Accord LX coupe 2.4L in which the fans don't operate properly. The radiator fan doesn't come on periodically as it should. The only time that it activates is if the A/C is turned on. At that point, it spins at high speed. The condenser fan however does not run at all. I applied battery power to both and the fan motors are good. Fuse 16 under the dash is good and I also changed the relay circuit board. Any idea what can be done? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: fans operating abnormally

Originally Posted by speed81
Hi. I hope someone can shed some light on this problem I have. I have a 2010 Honda Accord LX coupe 2.4L in which the fans don't operate properly. The radiator fan doesn't come on periodically as it should. The only time that it activates is if the A/C is turned on. At that point, it spins at high speed. The condenser fan however does not run at all. I applied battery power to both and the fan motors are good. Fuse 16 under the dash is good and I also changed the relay circuit board. Any idea what can be done? Any help is much appreciated.
Is the vehicle overheating?
Old 05-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Trial User

Hi. Yes it is overheating. After about 30 minutes, the temp starts to rise above normal levels and at no time, the fan kicks in to cool the radiator down.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi. Yes it is overheating. After about 30 minutes, the temp starts to rise above normal levels and at no time, the fan kicks in to cool the radiator down.
Check the coolant level.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Trial User

Coolant level is fine. Pretty much narrowed it down to the fans. Just don't know why they are not engaging when it should. Thermostat is fine too as I changed that as well.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coolant level is fine. Pretty much narrowed it down to the fans. Just don't know why they are not engaging when it should. Thermostat is fine too as I changed that as well.
Pressure test the cooling system and bleed the system.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Trial User

I've done that too. Flushed the system because I thought circulation was poor. No luck unfortunately.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tested the PGM subrelay?

Also I'll assume #21 7.5 amp fuse tested ok.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done that too. Flushed the system because I thought circulation was poor. No luck unfortunately.
Do both fans come on(even if separately) at some point by themselves?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the help. As it turns out, the fuse called FI Sub was responsible. Downloaded and followed the troubleshooting section in the service manual for the car and that fuse was never mentioned so I never would of known. Both fans are functioning now. Thanks again to all.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: fans operating abnormally

2006 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 L 4 cylinder engine (7th generation) with 174,000 miles. My son was driving in stop and go traffic last weekend, 85 degrees F with probably 95 degrees F on the highway surface, with air conditioning on, and he noticed the temperature gauge starting to go high, as high as the "H" when he called me. I told him to shut air conditioning OFF and to pull over as soon as he could. Shortly after shutting air conditioning off, he called to say the temperature gauge starting dropping, and 10 minutes later when he finally got to a spot he could pull off, the temperature gauge was back to normal. Long story short, he made it home the remaining distance, used air conditioning, and never had the temperature gauge move above normal range again. He never saw or smelled smoke/burning engine smell, he never saw any leaks under the car, and the coolant reservoir was at or near the MAX mark. At home, I've done some troubleshooting and found the following cooling fan issue. Passenger side fan is the A/C Condenser Fan, it comes on with air conditioning on. It goes off when air conditioning off. After 15-20 minutes of idle time after starting engine, the A/C Condenser Fan came on (with A/C OFF) and then cycled off again after 1 minute or so. The Driver side Radiator Cooling Fan never came on. This whole time, I was idling in the driveway, 85 degrees F outside, and the temperature gauge never went above normal range (roughly 45% or so, slightly below center point). I haven't checked to see if Radiator Cooling Fan motor is bad yet, but I have checked both fuses 9 and 11 and both look OK (not broken). Both fuses that have "FI-ECU" on them look OK as well...I checked those after reading last post on this thread. I am waiting to check if fan motor is bad or not. If it's a bad motor, I'll just replace. If the motor spins when I apply power directly to it, what else could it be? Am I missing something else as to why the car started to overheat in slow traffic on a hot day. If not the fan then what else? No leaks, water pump seems to be working, thermostat seems to be working because the other fan turns on and off. Never had any problems with cooling system before this. Appreciate the help.