Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

door locks only working with engine running

Old 06-28-2018, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door locks only working with engine running

Hello all. This is my first post. I believe I have done a thorough internet search looking for a solution to this question, but have been unable to find one as of yet.

I have a 2005 accord coupe v6. Yesterday I installed a kenwood double din receiver and I also installed a cheapo module to retain the factory steering wheel functions.

Everything installed smoothly other than now door remotes do not work, door unlock switches only work when the engine is running. (remotes do not work at all) This leads me to believe its not a fuse problem. I've read that on some older civics, the module was in the factory stereo and wondering if I might have a similar situation going on?

I did install a Metra 99-7803G dash kit, which replaces the factory climate control ***** as well.
PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface is the module installed.

I cant find a good wiring diagram of the vehicle stereo harness to see if there are any wires that used to hook up to the receiver that are no longer make a connection to the aftermarket harness. (like the steering wheel control used pin 3 and 20 wires which I cut and spliced prior to entering the factory supply connector)

Any help is much appreciated!!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 AM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: door locks only working with engine running

What you describe probably is a fuse. First check under-dash Fuse No. 8 (20A). It is not like some older Civics.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply. The under dash fuse is not blown.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**update**. After rechecking all my connections, reinstalling my radio, testing every fuse in the vehicle, checking wiring diagrams.....I believe my issue is my fuse box/multiplex. my new question is if I replace it, am I going to have to take it to the dealer to program the keys? In other words, will the car start with a new multiplex without programming my ignition key?

(truth be told, i think I might have shorted a wire when I was cutting away some electrical tape on the factory harness. No broken wire found, and no blown fuses, but I did find one wire that I had nicked)

Thank you for any assistance
Old 11-23-2021, 07:39 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by rvbuckeye
**update**. After rechecking all my connections, reinstalling my radio, testing every fuse in the vehicle, checking wiring diagrams.....I believe my issue is my fuse box/multiplex. my new question is if I replace it, am I going to have to take it to the dealer to program the keys? In other words, will the car start with a new multiplex without programming my ignition key?

(truth be told, i think I might have shorted a wire when I was cutting away some electrical tape on the factory harness. No broken wire found, and no blown fuses, but I did find one wire that I had nicked)

Thank you for any assistance
HONDA ACCORD 2011 2.0L WAGON

i did the exact same thing can’t find any fuses that correlate

issues that have since the short presented themselves…

-central locking only works when car is in ACC
-keyless start + remote unlock never works
-temperature on dash for outside does not work
-km/l resets every time it’s turned off
- AC works but AC display does not
-Window lock works but led feedback to switch is dead

obviously some of these issues could be unrelated but happened at the same time from what I can understand

im thinking it has to be the 12v constant supply but can’t seem to find a fuse for it

pls help

Old 11-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jh325
HONDA ACCORD 2011 2.0L WAGON

i did the exact same thing can’t find any fuses that correlate

issues that have since the short presented themselves…

-central locking only works when car is in ACC
-keyless start + remote unlock never works
-temperature on dash for outside does not work
-km/l resets every time it’s turned off
- AC works but AC display does not
-Window lock works but led feedback to switch is dead

obviously some of these issues could be unrelated but happened at the same time from what I can understand

im thinking it has to be the 12v constant supply but can’t seem to find a fuse for it

pls help
Hello. As this was several years ago I will try to remember.... I ordered a used, driver side multiplex on ebay first that was not for a v6 coupe, which was what I was dealing with, hoping it would work. It did solve all my electrical problems as far as getting the remotes to work, and the car started still. However, I do remember it did give me another light on the dash. But at least it told me that I was on the right track. Ended up having to purchase the correct one from the dealership. All my problems were solved and had no other issues with the vehicle after that.
Obviously, I can't tell you if this will solve your problems, but after looking at the wiring schematic before purchasing, I was amazed about how many components were ran by that little box. Good luck to you. When searching for the used one, I saw there were many available for every model other than my v6 coupe, so hopefully you can find one without spending the extra money on a new one.
Lastly, and this is where it starts getting foggy. I did have to take my car to reprogram the ignition keys after that, but I don't remember if that was directly related to replacing the multiplex. I bought the vehicle used and it only came with the valet key so I had purchased some extra fobs that needed programming anyway. Luckily a local locksmith was able to program them for around $20.
Anyway, a whole lot of trouble for my stupid mistake of not disconnecting the battery when I replaced the factory stereo. I know better. Ugh. Hope this helps.!