Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Dealer diagnosed and found a slew of problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer diagnosed and found a slew of problems.

Hey guys,

I took my 03 Honda Accord today to the dealer for its 60k mile checkup. They found a slew of problems and estimated roughly ~$2300 to fix all of them

I got this car used for only about 11k used, so anything even close $2300 is something that I'm pretty hesitant to pay.

I was wondering if the following problems the dealer found can be fixed relatively easily on my own. My personal experience repairing cars is low but I've done other mechanic work on intricate systems and am willing to learn how to DIY.

*Timing Belt Tensioner starting to leak: The dealer said that the leak is very small but visible. I'm not sure exactly what the role of the tensioner plays or the timing belt itself. The dealer says that if it ruptures while I drive it can mess up the pistons(?). I was wondering what the risk of such a rupture is, whether or not the leak can be fixed, or how difficult and costly it would be to try to replace the tensioner. They estimate this would cost me around $900

*3 of my compliance bushings are shot: I honestly don't know how badly this will affect performance of my vehicle as I've been driving this vehicle with little problems for the past couple of months (other than the battery terminal corroding to the point in which it broke). I saw that buying the bushings themselves are cheap but how easy is it to install them? They estimate replacing these would cost $500.

*Flush brake fluid. I'm pretty sure I can replace the brake fluid myself?? They estimate this would cost me $130

*My radio's LEDs went bust. Apparently this was a problem for all Honda Accord 03's but I'm past 7 years so they won't fix it for me for free or even goodwill. They estimate this will cost me ~$450. Is there any way to buy just the replacement/updated circuit board for the unit? Or is it cheaper to buy some sort of replacement chassis to install in lieu of the faulty radio unit and then install a third-party radio/mp3 unit?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dealer diagnosed and found a slew of problems.

buy yourself a manual on your car and do it yourself. if you're half smart about working on cars then you shouldnt have a problem considering you have all the tools. if you're hesitant about working on it. pay to have it done.

900 is quite a lot for that timing belt tensioner. maybe im wrong but that seems crazy. i bet the parts alone barely cost 150 bucks. rest of it will be labor.

the bushings should be easy to replace. as well as the fluid. you can buy a used radio on ebay for cheap.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Donnie-
buy yourself a manual on your car and do it yourself. if you're half smart about working on cars then you shouldnt have a problem considering you have all the tools. if you're hesitant about working on it. pay to have it done.

900 is quite a lot for that timing belt tensioner. maybe im wrong but that seems crazy. i bet the parts alone barely cost 150 bucks. rest of it will be labor.

the bushings should be easy to replace. as well as the fluid. you can buy a used radio on ebay for cheap.
Thanks for the info.

What's the immediate risk of timing belt tensioner rupturing and the compliance bushings causing a fatal failure? I'm driving 200 miles back to Austin from Dallas tonight.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what your mechanical work on "intricate systems" is, tools you already have, comfort level with working on cars, you may or may not want to attempt the timing belt and the changing of the bushings. The brake fluid change and bleed and radio are pretty okay for a many beginner DIYers. You may want to seek out an independent shop for some of the work to save some money.

1. Timing belt tensioner: The timing belt tensioner is filled with oil to dampen oscillation. If the tensioner oil leaks and enough oil is lost, the timing belt loosens.

If it is a small leak starting, you probably will be okay for now; but, probably should get it taken care of in the near future. Since your car has a timing belt, this would be the V6.

2. Compliance bushings. Dealer probably referring to lower control arm compliance bushings on both sides. Not sure about the third one yet.

If they are cracking, the repair can wait a while. If they have cracked all the way through, get the repair performed when you can. The worn bushing will cause uneven tire wear. They can cause knocking or creaking sounds. They can also cause a type of "pull" when the brakes are applied.

3. Brake fluid flush is straight forward like most other cars.

4. You can try buy the circuit board even from aftermarket electronic parts dealers. In this link, some people replaced a resistor on the board. I do not recommend just adding a wire or solder to jump or bridge the circuit, as that can cause more damage. In the link, see the TSB for the circuit board number applicable to your car, then google search the part number for distributors. You should be able to order the circuit board from the dealer too.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9540
Attached Images  

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-30-2010 at 04:03 PM.