Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Crank pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Crank pulley bolt

Okay, so now that I'm done doing my little victory dance since I managed to get the crank pulley bolt off (changing my timing belt), I've realized I may have a problem...
1) I tried using the honda tool to hold the crank while I used extensions to pry the bolt loose but was having no luck. I eventually tried the "blip" method where you barely start the car with a breaker bar in place and you let the car do the work... Success. My problem is what happens when I need to put the bolt back on with the right amount of torque? Will I have try to use the tool again or can I just manually tighten it?
2) do I need to worry about the pulley spinning while the belt is still on? My impression is that, as long as the belt is on, the cams spin with the crank and everything should be fine but if the belt is off and it spins you can have major problems. Can anyone confirm?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Crank pulley bolt

You will need the holding tool to torque the pulley bolt. You have to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 47 lbft, then turn the bolt another 60 degrees, from what I remember. You can't do that without something holding the crank. You also need to apply engine oil to portions of the pulley bolt, while keeping other parts clean. The service manual has the specifics.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I was afraid of... Just how hard is 47 ft lbs?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

47 isn't that much. Best thing to do is rent, borrow or buy a torque wrench (harbor freight ?) and do it right.

If you are doing the belt, water pump and tensioners and that.....the torque wrench will help with getting everything else correct as well.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Honda does the 47 ftlbs, plus 60 degrees so you don't need a large torque wrench to install the bolt. You can use a torque wrench to get you to the 47 ftlbs, then switch to a breaker-bar, to turn the additional 60 degrees. The pulley holding tool should handle that easily. You will need two breaker-bars, one for the pulley holding tool, and one to turn the bolt.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take out the spark plug from cylinder 1, use a rope that is smaller than the hole for the spark plug and start pushing it into the cylinder. Once the cylinder is packed with rope, you can turn the crank bolt and the piston will rise in cylinder one while the rope holds the piston in place. That will keep the crank from turning while you tighten the crank bolt. When you are finished, just turn the crank pulley counter clockwise a little and pull the rope out of the cylinder. Works every time for me and its so much easier.

Btw ALWAYS use a torque wrench when you can. They have engineers specifying torque specs for a reason. Guessing the tightness of a bolt will only mean your car will be that much more unreliable.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Saw this trick online... After I had already started... Haha, hoping ill never have to deal with that again honestly, though, it was worth all the stress for the sense of accomplishment it gave.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snookums
take out the spark plug from cylinder 1, use a rope that is smaller than the hole for the spark plug and start pushing it into the cylinder. Once the cylinder is packed with rope, you can turn the crank bolt and the piston will rise in cylinder one while the rope holds the piston in place. That will keep the crank from turning while you tighten the crank bolt. When you are finished, just turn the crank pulley counter clockwise a little and pull the rope out of the cylinder. Works every time for me and its so much easier.
I'm not really a fan of putting anything besides air and gas in my cylinders, but good luck. There is a proper tool for doing it, and you can rent it FREE at most auto parts stores.