Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Considering a used Accord Coupe but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a used Accord Coupe but...

Greetings all,

I'm looking to buy a used Accord Coupe(2009-2011) and was wondering if there is a specific model or production year I should avoid. Is there really a huge difference in performance between the V4 & V6 automatics? I would like navigation as well, but have no experience with Honda's navigation--is it worth it?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Considering a used Accord Coupe but...

As a rule of thumb for any car its good to avoid the first year of a model change because the bugs are still being worked out in design and production.

Honda V6 autos are known to have some problems. The 4 cyl autos tend to hold up better. I drove my dads 2012 EX-L V6 and 2013 Sport I4 and the V6 is definitely a lot quicker but he doesnt mind because its a commuting car for him.

The seats in those cars are terribly uncomfortable IMO. But you do feel like your planted in them.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go for an I4 with a manual transmission
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Dabolina
Honda V6 autos are known to have some problems.
That was with the old 2 shaft version of the AT. For the Gen 8 2008+, Honda used a revised 4 shaft version, so I would not rush out with that statement.

V6 or I4. The V6 is rather lethargic at all ranges except WOT. So it does feel like an I4. If you are not a guy that jumps on the gas, you won't miss the power. MPG on the V6 can be great or awful, depending on how you drive.

If you are thinking about a 6-6 coupe, that's a different animal. The engine seem to be tunned with more life in it.

Also, what are your plans for the car? Mods? If you are thinking of getting larger wheels, fog lights, spoiler, dual exhaust, and power, you might as well get a V6 because it's all there and therefore = done.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
V6 or I4. The V6 is rather lethargic at all ranges except WOT. So it does feel like an I4.
Um, maybe in the automatic, because of the automatic.

If you are thinking about a 6-6 coupe, that's a different animal. The engine seem to be tunned with more life in it.
The engine is the exact same V6, auto or stick, again, its the transmission. There are 6-6 Sedan's as well, but good luck finding one.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2008 Honda Accord V6 exl 6 Speed Coupe, in San Marino Red...

***See his post in the FS section on the top of this forum.***

Last edited by GoLowDrew; 03-12-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: FS reply.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
Um, maybe in the automatic, because of the automatic.

The engine is the exact same V6, auto or stick, again, its the transmission. There are 6-6 Sedan's as well, but good luck finding one.
It's not because it's an automatic trans. I'm also familar with Acura V6 cars, and you can feel the difference IMO between Honda and Acura cars, when they are the same.

As for the J35 V6, the Z2 has VCM for MPG and the Z3 does not. I have no way of knowing how the J35 will feel when it's running on 3 cylinders + 6 speed manual. I imagine not well. So yes, they are the same engine design for different purposes.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was with the old 2 shaft version of the AT. For the Gen 8 2008+, Honda used a revised 4 shaft version, so I would not rush out with that statement.

V6 or I4. The V6 is rather lethargic at all ranges except WOT. So it does feel like an I4. If you are not a guy that jumps on the gas, you won't miss the power. MPG on the V6 can be great or awful, depending on how you drive.

Also, what are your plans for the car? Mods? If you are thinking of getting larger wheels, fog lights, spoiler, dual exhaust, and power, you might as well get a V6 because it's all there and therefore = done.
I'm not an aggressive driver, but living in the DC metro area, I would like the car to respond when I get on the gas when dealing with the major highways around here. Can the V6 automatic give me a boost when trying to merge for example? I know once I do a test drive I can see for myself the responsiveness, I'm just curious if the V6 is even worth the difference in price.

As for the mods, yes, I would like to eventually spruce up the tire/wheel pkg. I'm not a stock setup kinda guy. Am I correct in assuming all Accord Coupe V6's come with spoilers, dual exhaust and fog lights?

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

Jeff
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know people who work at the Russels Point transmission plant. Ive heard stories of hammering on side covers that dont fit properly. Along with some iffy QC. I wouldnt be surprised.

My dad splits time between the Marysville Accord Assy Plant and the Anna Engine Assy plant. Ive been on a couple of running tours of the Marysville plant. Its nice to be a Honda guy in the middle of Ohio.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not because it's an automatic trans. I'm also familar with Acura V6 cars, and you can feel the difference IMO between Honda and Acura cars, when they are the same.

As for the J35 V6, the Z2 has VCM for MPG and the Z3 does not. I have no way of knowing how the J35 will feel when it's running on 3 cylinders + 6 speed manual. I imagine not well. So yes, they are the same engine design for different purposes.
Well I'd sure like to know what if any difference there is.

I'm not as familiar with the Z2 and Z3 differences in the J35. So maybe there is a difference, but I'd like to know what it is, instead of speculating.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Old Member

I've been to the (old) NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA 4 times (now it's a Tesla plant) and once for work. Watching the production line workers work, makes me wonder about the "Toyota Quality". I guess through design and standardization of manufacturing, even brain dead people can assembled a car.

I did own a NUMMI product. It did have a minor rattle, like a loose bolt fell in somewhere. But solid from day one and assembly and quality or work was excellent - other than the rattle.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been to the (old) NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA 4 times (now it's a Tesla plant) and once for work. Watching the production line workers work, makes me wonder about the "Toyota Quality". I guess through design and standardization of manufacturing, even brain dead people can assembled a car.

I did own a NUMMI product. It did have a minor rattle, like a loose bolt fell in somewhere. But solid from day one and assembly and quality or work was excellent - other than the rattle.
I work at a tier 1 supplier for GM and Ford. My job is to make it so even brain dead people can build cars. Im afraid to buy a car after seeing some of **** Ive seen. Hahaha.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that you can go for the latest 2013 Honda accord coupe V6 manual. It’s a midsize car and it comes in two doors and four doors. The engine of this car is 2.4 litre inline and it’s a very stylish car. The price of this car begins approximately $21,680.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the engine of the 2013 V6 is a 2.4liter and starts at 21k?
really?

I think you confused or were trying to say there are TWO versions of the accord(really three versions). the 2.4L inline 4, the 3.5 liter with VCM, and the 3.5 liter 6Speed with no VCM