Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

changing timing belt help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing timing belt help please!

I'm about to hit 110k miles in my 05 Accord 6sd....

part list so far

TIMING BELT (oem # 14400-RCA-A01)
WATER PUMP (oem #19200-RDM-A02)
ALT/A/C COMPRESSOR BELT (oem # 38920-RCA-A03)
CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL x2 (oem # 91213-R70-A02)
CRANK OIL SEAL (oem # 91212-R70-A02)

they also recommended me getting the following

hydraulic tensioner (oem#14520-RCA-A01)
timing belt idler (oem#14550-RCA-A01)
timing belt auto tensioner (oem#14510-RCA-A01)
and spark plugs

im told the part list i have so far is pretty much required but what about the recommended parts? help please and feedback is appreciated thanks!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changing timing belt help please!

I would do the plugs, as they are 105k maintenance as well. I wouldn't think an idler would be necessary, but for the tensioners, I'd like some imput on those also. The old H22A1 I had, this was the weak point, the auto tensioner.

Any feedback on that part on the J30A motors?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a ton of these services over the years...

my 2 cents...

the crank seal and cam seals are not needed. I have yet to see a J series with leaky seals- unlike the 4 cyl Honda engines...Leave them be.

The idler and tensioner bearings aren't a BAD idea to replace, but I wouldn't say it's needed. If you have the money, cool.

Hydraulic tensioner should be replaced, yes.
Otherwise, get yourself some Honda coolant and do the plugs, as stated above, as well as the air filters and ATF, as it's a good time to take care of it all.

I sell Aisin timing belt kits- comes with Aisin pump/tensioner, Koyo idler/tensioner bearings, and mitsuboshi timing belt. These are all Honda OE parts(sans timing belt, but Mitsuboshi makes every other belt for Hondas).

Find yourself a local supplier of Aisin and you will save a LOT by buying that kit.

I use those black spring clips to keep the belt on the cam gears while lining everything up...i'm sure you have some in your office.

good luck!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a killer deal...

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Aisin-TKH002...Kit-/81198926#
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Im going to do the plugs was told the other stuff can wait...
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evs-One
Very good deal! About exactly how much I spent on my kit.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was getting a rattling noise from my j30, from one or two of the timing belt parts. I thought the tensioner was leaking and getting loose, but not the case. The only thing I found that was suspect was a lack of grease inside the idler and adjuster pulley bearings. After the timing belt change, the noise is gone. I would definitely change the idler and adjuster pulleys, and the tensioner just to be safe. I didn't change the cam or crank seals, and didn't see any leaking. I changed the belt, idler pulley, adjuster pulley, tensioner, water pump, and the coolant. The spark plugs were changed previously. I would also suggest a valve adjustment at 100k miles. The exhaust valves tighten over time, and the intake valves loosen. The engine is so much quieter now. Yes, I did all this myself, in the driveway.

http://outboundlink.me/ib.php?DR_id=...uttime=1000717

This is a great deal, and exactly the parts I would change, plus coolant.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
I was getting a rattling noise from my j30, from one or two of the timing belt parts. I thought the tensioner was leaking and getting loose, but not the case. The only thing I found that was suspect was a lack of grease inside the idler and adjuster pulley bearings. After the timing belt change, the noise is gone. I would definitely change the idler and adjuster pulleys, and the tensioner just to be safe. I didn't change the cam or crank seals, and didn't see any leaking. I changed the belt, idler pulley, adjuster pulley, tensioner, water pump, and the coolant. The spark plugs were changed previously. I would also suggest a valve adjustment at 100k miles. The exhaust valves tighten over time, and the intake valves loosen. The engine is so much quieter now. Yes, I did all this myself, in the driveway.

thanks for the tips! i'll definitely pay attention to the above mention when getting this work done
Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH

Without straying too far off topic, do you have a service manual you followed, and where can I get one?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the Helms. Even though its a bit spendy ($100) I think its worth it over the copies out there for cheap. Had one for my 94 Prelude, and it was invaluable.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my Helm manual from HandAaccessories.com. You have to buy the regular manual, plus the V6 supplement. I think it added up to about $114. I think you could probably get a pdf version on-line for a lot less, or a used one from fleabay. I had changed a timing chain on a Chevy 4 cylinder before, using a Haynes manual, but the Honda V6 is more complicated, so I would suggest the Helm.

Last edited by BLKFLSH; 04-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's who has it for $100.80 for the manual AND the supplement, at least that's what the web page says. Will be ordering soon.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
Yeah, that's who has it for $100.80 for the manual AND the supplement, at least that's what the web page says. Will be ordering soon.
I bought mine in 03, when it was just coming out, so I paid full price.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Helms' is definitely a valuable resource but my new favorite is Mitchell Diy (by Mitchell on demand that I've used in shops for years, but a heck of a lot cheaper). They are sold as weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. memberships per vehicle but for the average guy wrenching on 2 or 3 cars you'll come out pretty cheap.

Best of all, setup an old laptop you don't mind grease prints on and a wireless router in the garage, and everything you need is at your finger tips... of course do the read-thrus before every job and make a mental note of what not to break/what to buy/yada yada.

If you have the ink to spare, print out the directions for whatever job you're tackling and you can make side notes. For the 03-07 gen Accords the manual is almost a direct copy from the Honda service manual btw.