Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

certified 06 accord 2.4 using oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default certified 06 accord 2.4 using oil

Hello everybody. I just got a certified 06 accord EX 2.4 with 40k miles. I have put about 2k miles on it and the other day I checked the oil and it needed a little over a quart. I check the oil after I got it and it was full. Is this normal for this engine/model year. If not how much of a fight do you think it is going to be to get the dealer to fix it. I could really use some advice on this. Also when at highway speed it sounds like I've got a bunch of crickets living in the glove box. I'm really starting to worry about this purchase.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Default Re: certified 06 accord 2.4 using oil

Do you smell the oil burning or see blue smoke coming from the tail pipe? How is your coolant? If the coolant looks like a milkshake then your oil is getting into the coolant somehow.

Have you looked under the car to see the drain plug is tight (a few drops here and there will drain the oil in no time.)

I would assume your car is under warranty still and it is a Honda Certified, so take it in to the dealership you bought it from (or any Honda Dealer) and express your concerns. Honda is a reasonable company that seems to have good repair service so they should ether address your concerns and take care of your problem. Honda Certified means that Honda of America will take care of it should there be a internal flaw to it. You have made a good choice as buying Honda Certified is a safe bet.

Good luck and enjoy your car

Cheers

L
Old 03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to start documenting how much oil your car is using between fillups. It will be much easier to explain tot he dealership when you have written proof.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would keep your eye on it, sure, but it seems to be somewhat common. I just keep mine topped off......
Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM

The crickets in your glovebox may be from the loose clip-on. The part where the glovebox snaps in when you shut it. I hate mine because it doesn't shut all the way in. So at nigh time when I turn on the light I can see the glovebox's light on. Try some WD-40 on the clips/screws.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98BabiGs-T
The crickets in your glovebox may be from the loose clip-on. The part where the glovebox snaps in when you shut it. I hate mine because it doesn't shut all the way in. So at nigh time when I turn on the light I can see the glovebox's light on. Try some WD-40 on the clips/screws.
The light leak is common on the 7th gen Accords. Here is the fix.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohplezz
Hello everybody. I just got a certified 06 accord EX 2.4 with 40k miles. I have put about 2k miles on it and the other day I checked the oil and it needed a little over a quart. I check the oil after I got it and it was full. Is this normal for this engine/model year. If not how much of a fight do you think it is going to be to get the dealer to fix it. I could really use some advice on this. Also when at highway speed it sounds like I've got a bunch of crickets living in the glove box. I'm really starting to worry about this purchase.
honda its normal for a car to use 1qt every 1k miles. your extended warranty however says anything more than i believe 2qt every 1k miles is a problem. by the way i work for honda. i would bring it in to your honda dealer and have them do an oil consumption test. which means the will do an oil change and have you come back every 1k mile and check andor top off oil as needed to see how much oil is being used every oil change.good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE
...its normal for a car to use 1qt every 1k miles.
This is indeed the standard response from ALL dealerships in regards to oil consumption. And like HONDAPARTSMANMIKE said, you will have to bring it in for them to start an oil consumption test. Yes, it will waste your time going back 2, 3, or 4 more times.

However, as an owner of a car (99 Isuzu Rodeo) that burned oil constantly, it sucks and should not be acceptable!

BTW, my 06 Accord 2.4 does not burn any oil at all.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SiClone
However, as an owner of a car (99 Isuzu Rodeo) that burned oil constantly, it sucks and should not be acceptable!
I'd like to see you design a mass-production engine that will never use a single drop of oil in any of hundreds of thousands of units.

It can't be done. Impossible.

Most if not all engines do use oil over a change interval, whether it be a large or a very small amount. The thing is (and here's the kicker), most people just don't know about it because most people never bother to check their oil level.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drops are fine. It's the 1 quart or more per 1000 miles that is B-S. It's all the luck of the draw. If you are unlucky, you end up with the one that eats oil. Simple as that.

Manufacturers use the 1 quart/1,000 mile like a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

honda its normal for a car to use 1qt every 1k miles. your extended warranty however says anything more than i believe 2qt every 1k miles is a problem. by the way i work for honda. i would bring it in to your honda dealer and have them do an oil consumption test. which means the will do an oil change and have you come back every 1k mile and check andor top off oil as needed to see how much oil is being used every oil change.good luck with getting it fixed.
2qt for every 1k miles? You're kidding, right? In all my 46 years, I've never had a car or truck engine that consumed/burned a quart of oil between changes. If I lost a quart of oil between changes (3000 miles), I would be upset!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
2qt for every 1k miles? You're kidding, right? In all my 46 years, I've never had a car or truck engine that consumed/burned a quart of oil between changes. If I lost a quart of oil between changes (3000 miles), I would be upset!

well like i said thats what they concider a problem i believe, extanded warrany that is. i know in bullsh*t. but they call the shots. i deal with this on a regular basis and it suck trying to get them to cover these type of issues. then they wanna always try to tale the cheapest way out to correct it. but we always get it covered for the customer.

any way def bring your car to the dealer to have an oil consumtion test started to see how bad it is.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom drives an 03 with the 2.4 and has the same problem. It uses about 2-3 quarts every 3,000 miles. The car was bought certified used, has the extended warranty and currently has approx 78,000 miles. The dealer has said what everyone else is saying while complaining several times. It is now going through the consumption test.

I want to know more about where this oil goes. Valve guide seals, seized oil or compression rings, clogged oil return holes for the oil rings, gasket leaks (external) and faulty PCV system are the things that come to mind here; BUT with no oil puddles, oil residue or any sign of burning oil and smoke coming out of the exhaust....Where Does It Go??

I can understand Honda wanting to set a minimum consumption to be considered excessive but I think their minimum is a bit "cheap". Where are they even calculating these oil losses that they consider normal?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

You should see Toyota's acceptable oil consumption level.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross 2.0
You should see Toyota's acceptable oil consumption level.
Gotta love that 1ZZ-FE . . .
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

You get a complimentary set of shocks and a case of oil to hold you over to the 1st oil change.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Red Bull thanks for the tip on the glove box. Is their any particular type of strip I should use or should I go to honda and get them to fix it Do you know if the certified warranty will cover some thing like this? It sucks to have to go to the dealer to get a consumption test. I live about an hours drive from my dealer and I work 70 hours+ per week. If they tell me that one qt per 1k miles is acceptable, this will be the last honda I ever buy. My 96 prelude 2.3 used 1 qt per 1k miles when it had 200k miles on it. I'm pissed. Man I'm Pissed
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM
It Wasn't Me!

well like i said thats what they concider a problem i believe, extanded warrany that is. i know in bullsh*t. but they call the shots. i deal with this on a regular basis and it suck trying to get them to cover these type of issues. then they wanna always try to tale the cheapest way out to correct it. but we always get it covered for the customer.

any way def bring your car to the dealer to have an oil consumtion test started to see how bad it is.
1 qt per thousand is Honda's threshold for acceptable levels of oil consumption. I've seen a couple of the K24s that are burning at that level but they were cars that had very poor maintenance history like an oil change every 8-10k miles.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by someone else
1 qt per thousand is Honda's threshold for acceptable levels of oil consumption. I've seen a couple of the K24s that are burning at that level but they were cars that had very poor maintenance history like an oil change every 8-10k miles.
Don't some cars go that far (8-10k miles) before the Maintenance Minder tells them to change the oil? I don't believe in the MM, and I would never wait that long, but you could hardly fault someone for following Honda's own MM. I wonder how my car (03 V6) can only go to 3,750 miles (severe interval), but an 07 with the same engine can go at least twice that far before an oil change is required by the MM system? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna get this thread going with more input on how the K24 burns oil, or loses oil. My mom notices that her's uses oil mainly on long trips on the highway. Where the engine is at full or higher than normal temp for prolonged periods. Could the engine be running hotter than it should without the water temp gauge indicating so? Is there some way with heat that the PCV system could be stealing oil? A faulty PCV system or design?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

well accord is a nice car as it is Honda certified.i will suggest you to go to work shop of accord and tell them about your problem.they will solve your problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have the 07 with 35500 on it and uses very little oil over the period between oil changes I think I added about a 1/4 quart.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coolworld
well accord is a nice car as it is Honda certified.i will suggest you to go to work shop of accord and tell them about your problem.they will solve your problem.
?? "Accord is a nice car because it is certified" "Work shop of accord" ??

Anyone want to chime in with K24 rebuilding experience, oil loss source discoveries? Some more technical talk, It's Honda-Tech...