Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

a/c low pressure switch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 a/c low pressure switch replacement?

Just a quick question. Can anybody tell me for sure if the a/c low pressure switch on a 2006 Honda Accord EX can be replaced without discharging the system first.

On my other vehicle which is a Chevy, I've replaced this part easily without draining the system first. There is a schrader valve where the switch screws into that prevents refrigerant from coming out when replacing the switch. Not sure if Honda's have schrader valve's at this part or not. Been searching online for days and cannot find much information on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: a/c low pressure switch replacement?

I can't be 100% for sure on this but my experience tells me that no. There is no schrader valve for the switch.

My next question is, what testing have you done to know the switch is what needs to be replaced?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: a/c low pressure switch replacement?

Gotta say, I'm really hoping you're wrong.

As far as why I'm wanting to replace the switch is because everything else seems to be fine so far. I've checked all fuses and relays and they seem to be fine. Swapped the fan and clutch relays and the fans still come on but not the clutch. I connected the compressor directly to the battery to test that and it came on right away and I instantly got very cold air coming out of the ducts. Tested the low side pressure with one of the cheap gauges that come with the store bought recharge kits and the pressure seems fine. The low/high pressure switch is the next logical thing to me. Couldn't find a sure fire way to jump the switch though, it's a 4 prong switch and nothing I tried worked. So to be honest I'm not 100% sure, but it's cheap and usually pretty easy so long as that Schrader valve is there.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ac pressure switch is only two pins.....

On the pressure switch, if the pressures are correct in the ac system there will be continuity across the pins on the switch.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Trial User

I suppose it's possible I'm looking at the wrong switch. Very disappointed at the amount of information both online and in my shop manual for this. But both point to the switch being to the left of the condenser (if looking at it from the front of the vehicle). Mine, has 4 pins. My understanding is that for these vehicles it will either be 2 pins for the 4 cylinder engine or 4 pins for the v6. And I guess it's actually both a low pressure and high pressure switch in one.

I may very well be wrong here, if so please direct me to the correct switch location.

Thanks.

Last edited by manquesa; 08-10-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: correct information given
Old 08-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I assumed four.....yes the v6 has four pins. SHould have asked not assumed

This is from the wire side so you will need to translate the pins/numbers to the switch.

Pin 1 (BLU/RED) should have ~5 volts when the ac is one....is passes - along as there is continuity on the switch - to pin 4 and back to the PCM. This lets the PCM know there is enough pressure in the system to let the ac run.

If that tests out, there are a few other things that need to be tested.....evap temp circuit, ect.

The other pins on the ac pressure switch control the cond/rad fan speeds.
Attached Images