Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Buying new Accord or Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new Accord or Camry

Possibly a Lexus but it depends on how much I spend.

Thanks to someone running a red light and pulling out in front of my wife while she was driving I am in need of a new car. Once we get money back from insurance we are going to most likely get a Accord or Camry and just wanted to get some opinions about both cars and engine size.

I see a lot of both in 4 cyl but I think I would rather have a V6 Vtec or similar engine. We are looking in the range of 2003-2008 cars. Are the newer cars underpowered with a 4cyl or does it do the job well? Are there any big differences as far as gas mileage and reliability?

Also, does anyone happen to know of a tutorial site on how to inspect a car for quality, previous wrecks, damage ect.?

Thanks,

EDIT: NEW as in new to me, not straight from the factory new
Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying new Accord or Camry

carfax.com........and get an accord...you will not be disappointed
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Camry = Smooth ride, but boring as hell to drive.
Accord = Firm ride, but enjoyable to drive.
What's more important to you?
I have an 03 EX V6 Accord, and I couldn't go back to a 4 cylinder now. I'm spoiled.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I completely agree with BLKFLSH. I recently got a 2005 Accord EX coupe with a v6 manual transmission and couldn't be happier with its performance. The power is great, especially when you get to 3rd gear and give it some gas.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I picked out our 06 Accord I test drove both the 4cylinder and the 6 cylinder. While the 4 cylinder was decent power wise for a 4 cylinder the 6 cylinder was just soo much better. As the above poster said after having a 6 cylinder, I don't think I could go back to the 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinder has pretty decent power, pulls hard, is super quiet, you don't have to rev the snot out of it to pass someone, and from what I've seen it gets as good as gas mileage as the 4cylinder. I've read reports on here of peoples gas mileage with the 4cylinders and honestly I get better than most of what I've seen people post.

No way I'd even consider the 4cylinder after owning the 6. Only two downsides I see to the 6 cylinder is that from what I've told, I say told as I didn't look too closely at the 4cylinder, that maintenance is a little harder to do on the 6 cylinder. The other downside is the manual 6 speeds at least for 06 I know had an issue with 3rd gear. It would feel like it was in 3rd, but wouldn't fully be in gear then it would pop out. The solution was to just make sure the shifter was fully in third. It sometimes took a little more push than the other gears but was no big deal at all. They released a service bulletin for this which is to replace the 3rd gear set. We had this performed under warranty. If they hadn't fixed it for free I wouldn't have had it fixed as it's not at all a big deal even when it did do it. Just sometimes the shifter wasn't all the way in 3rd yet it felt like it was. You just had to give it that little extra push. This is fixed if it's had the service bulletin performed. I'm not sure what other years this affected.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Accord = Firm ride, but enjoyable to drive.
Yeah this thing to my handles more likes a sports car than a family sedan. It handles turns very well, steering is super tight, has plenty of power, and all around is just an amazing handling car. I'd kind of like to get something a little newer, but not because I don't enjoy this car. If I do end up getting something newer which I haven't decided on yet, I'm going to keep the 06 and maybe retire one of the other cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Something else to consider regarding Honda i-4 & V-6 cyl engines.

I-4 engines have a timing chain. V-6 engines have a timing belt. Timing belt failure results in you owing a very expensive boat anchor for either engine. i-4 chain rarely, if ever, needs changing. V-6 belt must be changed around 80K. Cost to replace timing belt runs somewhere between $.4K - $.8K. Cost to repair damage from broken timing belt runs somewhere between $2.5K - $3K.

Took our '08 CR-V on a trip last summer. 3 adults + luggage for 3 weeks. Had no problem keeping up with traffic on I-65 hills from Nashville to Louisville, & on I-71 hills from Louisville through Cincinnati. Averaged about 28 mpg for entire trip.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with the v6 honda u wont regret it ...........
Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forget both of these cars. They are so dull. Get a Subaru Legacy with either the WRX turbo engine or with the V6 instead. It is way more fun.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am really surprised no Accord fans have blasted me for my suggestion.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bsmith100
Forget both of these cars. They are so dull. Get a Subaru Legacy with either the WRX turbo engine or with the V6 instead. It is way more fun.
What the hell are you talking about? Subaru's break down every other day and suck in general compared to Honda's
Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by diversegsr
carfax.com........and get an accord...you will not be disappointed
The last car I bought came up squeky clean on carfax but ended up that it had been wrecked and repaired in several places that's why I would like to get a list of things I can inspect personally along with a carfax.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I checked, and the Legacy with the WRX turbo is called the Legacy GT, and is available with a 5-speed manual or auto gearbox. There is a Legacy GT Spec B version that adds a Torsen limited slip diff , 18 inch wheels, and Bilstein shocks. The Spec B version only is offered with a 6 speed. The standard Legacy GT and the Spec B both have that same WRX turbo engine with 243 horsepower.

There is also the Legacy 3.0R that has a 3 liter flat (boxer) 6 cylinder. It has 245 horsepower, and is only available with an automatic gearbox with paddle shifters. I think the auto version of the Legacy GT also has the paddle shifters. If it were me I would go for the turbo model.