Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Brake Fluid sediment question

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid sediment question

I was trying to replace the brake fluid using the turkey baster method on my 2013 Accord Touring V6 that has only 9k miles on it and noticed the fluid was darkish and there was some sediment on the bottom of the reservoir. Is this normal ? Or is this something of concern ?

The full story behind this - Braking out of the box was awesome. But from about 4k miles I experienced loss of braking power that gradually deteriorated. Since its under warranty got it checked out by the dealer which to my no surprise kept singing their theme song - Its titled "tech-drove-it-and-oh-its-normal". Brakes pads are at 90% - no excessive wear.
I was not convinced, so I came home and decided to check the fluid and thats when I found this. Please advise.

btw, how long can I use the brake fluid once the bottle is opened ? When I swapped it out the first time I still have about half left. Can I keep it for some time or should I toss it ?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Fluid sediment question

Take it to another dealer, and show them the sediment, and request a flush. Unless you have removed the sediment yourself already, then there is nothing to show them.

They say you should always use a new bottle, but if it has not been too long, and you are testing if the new fluid helps your braking, you could use what you have before taking it back and having them flush and bleed the whole system.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake fluid will turn dark, and get dirty, that's why it should be changed every 2 or 3 years. Was the fluid level low? Does the pedal sink while sitting at a red light? The turkey baster method is not nearly as effective as bleeding/flushing the lines IMO. I would imagine most of the sediment is in the lines, so I doubt it will stay clean looking very long. As long as the bottle is well sealed, it should last a year or so, but I would keep the bottle in a clean dry place.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I understand it turns dark and dirty, but on a brand new car ? in like 6-7 months ?
Fluid level is not low, pedal does not sink at stop light. I'd just describe it as gradual loss of braking power. and perhaps slightly softer or spongy feel to the pedal. Also I feel I have to push the pedal further but I am not sure if that is really because its really a "low pedal" or because of the loss of braking power I have to press further down.

Last edited by AnAccordIsForever; 06-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spongy feel would mean air in the lines, and all the more reason to bleed the brakes. The car is only 7 months old? Maybe you've had it 7 months, but the fluid could be a lot older, unless it's been flushed before.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after doing the reservoir fluid swap braking is noticeably better so its got to do something with the fluid. I could just have the whole system flushed out but here's what I am worried about more - How did the fluid get that bad in just 4k miles on a brand new car ? Is there some other underlying problem in the brake system that needs to be checked out ? especially since the car is under warranty I would rather have them take care of it, and that too now itself before it causes more damage later.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I don't think you're going to get them to flush the system under warranty, so if you want it done you'll have to do it yourself or pay. There could have been some contaminants in the braking system, when the car was built at the factory, but they are probably harmless.