Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Better MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better MPG??

Hello all,

I have a ’04 Accord EX-L sedan 4cyl. It has 83,000 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get more MPG out of it? Currently I get about 25.5. This is a mix of 70% highway and 30% city. I have heard about the K&N filter, getting better MPG, but I don’t know much about it. Does anyone have this filter on their Honda? What else can I do?

Thanks.

P.S. Gas in my area now $3.65 a gallon.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Better MPG?? (elad68)

Buy a tire pressure gauge and use it. Keep up with all the normal maintenance items. Modify your driving style (think grandpa at least some of the time).

I am not a fan of aftermarket "performance" air filters. To get more air through the same filter surface area, filtration has to be sacrificed. There are a lot of less risky ways to maximize fuel economy.Go the filter route if you wish, but I doubt you would see any measurable difference in fuel economy.

BTW, the prices are only going to get worse. I filled up today at $3.98/gal for premium, so don't feel too bad.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Better MPG?? (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy a tire pressure gauge and use it. Keep up with all the normal maintenance items. Modify your driving style (think grandpa at least some of the time).

I am not a fan of aftermarket "performance" air filters. To get more air through the same filter surface area, filtration has to be sacrificed. There are a lot of less risky ways to maximize fuel economy.Go the filter route if you wish, but I doubt you would see any measurable difference in fuel economy.

BTW, the prices are only going to get worse. I filled up today at $3.98/gal for premium, so don't feel too bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The biggest problem with K&N filters is keeping up with regular cleanings and oiling. They provide good filtration when used properly but most people just clean them out then don't re-oil them or use enough oil and so they filter very little small particulates.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Trial User

Hello I am new here but I just had to jump in. I have a 2004 4 cylinder coupe w/ auto & air conditioning and I can coax 31mpg out of it in mixed city and freeway driving.

The advice about thinking or driving "old" is spot on. Trusting that your car is properly maintained and tire pressures are up to snuff, your right foot and brain are your two best tools for improving mileage: try to time stoplights so you don't have to stop. Do your acceleration on downhill runs. On the highway drive a little slower than you normally would.

However be smart about all this and don't sacrifice safety for trying to improve mileage.

The K&N filter can bring headaches. As mentioned it must be cleaned and re-oiled. Well many flks do this and use too much oil which leeches through and fouls the MAF.

Keep in mind Colin Chapman's thoughts on the weight of cars he designed; "Horsepower makes you fast on the straight, light weight makes you fast everywhere."

Well, light weight can also work for improving mileage. With gasoline prices poised to go even higher I am looking for ideas to lighten ship. I've already gone through and cleaned out the trunk and the various pockets. I'm not looking to compromise safety (or remove the AC) and changes must be reversible. Thoughts any one?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Better MPG?? (keving58)

k&n air filter is a great way to go, lighter oil and full synthetic is another thing you can do. New spark plugs will also help. If you so wish you can change your muffler to one to is more free flowing this can help also.

P.S. k&n filters have a higher filtering rate then stock and flow higher also, second the only way you will over oil the filter is if you oil it and don't let it set for 15-20mins so the extra oil dips off. If you read the directions and follow them you wont have a problem.

I'm sorry but the statement says k&n filters bring headaches is so full of sh*t its not funny if you can use something so easy as that how do you change your oil or do any maintenance on your car? Have put them in all the car i have owed have have seen 1-3 mpg improvement also you only need to clean them every 15-20k miles which is what more then a year of driving.

AMS oil has a 0-30 oil that will provide more then enough protection for the engine and give you better mileage. 1-2 mpg. tranny fluid is something to look at also which can give you 1-2 mpg better also. over all most cars can gets 5mpg avg better then stock; everything is also covered under you factory warranty, check for oil weight in your users manual or ask your dealership. 5-30 is not sure if 0-30 is cover in there.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Better MPG?? (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (think grandpa at least some of the time).</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY !!!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

Do a tune up, Change the spark plugs, and since you car is getting close to 100K, you might want to think of changing the tires soon, or getting them balanced or rotated. Yeah, taking un-necessary things out helps too. When accelerating, don't slam it to the floor, and when going on the roads that people usually slam it, don't do it.

HA HA slamming it to the floor, what i do.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Better MPG?? (honda862)

I put a K&N drop in filter in our V6 only because I got it for around the price of the stock filter and I can keep cleaning this instead of replacing it. I didn't notice a difference in my gas mileage though. I keep hearing about people getting low mileage numbers like this with the 4cylinders which makes me really glad I don't have one. It's not uncommon for me to see 34-35mpg mixed driving with the V6. Thats if you drive it normal. You can get it down in the 20's if you just run it extremely hard the whole tank. I run Royal Purple oil and have the K&N filter and those the only mods I have. I got the same mileage before the K&N too.