Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

 
Old 06-05-2017, 01:07 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

This is my mother-in-law's 2003 Accord LX 2.4L, AT, with 114k miles. They bought it new when my father-in-law was still alive, and I know the car still has the original compressor, etc.

Anyway, I ran through the clutch troubleshooting steps, and yep, the clutch coil is dead (I get nothing trying 3 different ways of getting battery power to it). So, because of the 114k miles, I'm thinking just go ahead and evac the system and replace the whole a/c compressor assembly & o-rings. I'm also expecting to replace the receiver/dryer unless someone can give me good argument to leave it alone. Part of me wants to leave the drier alone since this car eats a quart of oil every 300 to 400 miles (sad time for Honda, especially since she's had the oil changed every 5k at the dealership where she bought it).

Another option is for me to try to change the clutch while keeping the compressor's refrigerant lines connected. Has anyone been successful doing so? If so, how difficult is it? I've already ordered a Denso compressor/clutch assembly from Rockauto. Depending on you guys' responses, if I decide to attempt the clutch swap, I figure I could just rob the clutch from the new Denso compressor and keep the body to use it if something happens later on.

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions.

Last edited by mrau92me; 06-05-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Got in a hurry and forgot to say thanks.
mrau92me is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

I'd change the clutch coil. You'll need a good tool for removing the inner c-clip. Mine is not strong enough, but with enough time I eventually get it to snap on. I recommend investing in a good tool for this if you are going to attempt it.
Also, the reason I'm on the forum today is to figure out how to measure the clearance and getting the right shims installed. I read that this is important, but no one says how to measure it.
I think I had mine too wide allowing the clutch to slip and it burned out my new coil, but have not verified it yet. Just reading a little before I dig back into my issue
Carey Lynch is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 4,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Id replace the compressor. At around 100k Ive seen the compressor lose compression and the bearings go out on multiple lines of Honda vehicles. Only replacing the coil is a waste of time and money IMO.


The drier is the systems only line of defense against moisture,arguably the number 2 killer of AC compressors. Id definitely replace that as well because the desiccant bag has a finite amount of moisture it can absorb....
DCFIVER is offline  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
Id replace the compressor. At around 100k Ive seen the compressor lose compression and the bearings go out on multiple lines of Honda vehicles. Only replacing the coil is a waste of time and money IMO.


The drier is the systems only line of defense against moisture,arguably the number 2 killer of AC compressors. Id definitely replace that as well because the desiccant bag has a finite amount of moisture it can absorb....
I disagree. I've replace several coils in multiple cars over the years. Replaced the coil in my last Honda and got another 5 years out of the compressor. This Honda, the coil only lasted 14 months, but the compressor is still good and replaced the coil again I still have cold air and good readings on my gauges. For the typical home do it yourselfer, the coil is the better way to go and saves a lot of money. The cost of a good c-clip tool is worth the investment also. You'll never get a garage to agree to replace the clutch coil and most local parts houses don't stock them any more..
Carey Lynch is offline  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 4,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by Carey Lynch View Post
I disagree. I've replace several coils in multiple cars over the years..
Ive replaced a few hundred compressors in Hondas (and other makes) over the last 21 years for various failures that were NOT the coil.
Originally Posted by Carey Lynch View Post
I Replaced the coil in my last Honda and got another 5 years out of the compressor..
Thats cool. IMO your sample pool is too low, me thinks you need to look at a much larger pool of vehicles to get better statistical data. 1(or even several) vehicles doesn't quite cut it.....

Originally Posted by Carey Lynch View Post
This Honda, the coil only lasted 14 months, but the compressor is still good and replaced the coil again I still have cold air and good readings on my gauges. For the typical home do it yourselfer, the coil is the better way to go and saves a lot of money. The cost of a good c-clip tool is worth the investment also. You'll never get a garage to agree to replace the clutch coil and most local parts houses don't stock them any more..
Time is money for many people. Spending time(and actual money) replacing a coil on a compressor with over a 100k is not the better way to go. Its the cheapest route,but definitely not the best. There is a difference.

A "garage" wont sell a coil alone because experience has taught them that, that is a fools errand...
DCFIVER is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 AM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
Ive replaced a few hundred compressors in Hondas (and other makes) over the last 21 years for various failures that were NOT the coil.

Thats cool. IMO your sample pool is too low, me thinks you need to look at a much larger pool of vehicles to get better statistical data. 1(or even several) vehicles doesn't quite cut it.....


Time is money for many people. Spending time(and actual money) replacing a coil on a compressor with over a 100k is not the better way to go. Its the cheapest route,but definitely not the best. There is a difference.

A "garage" wont sell a coil alone because experience has taught them that, that is a fools errand...
A dealership garage won't sell a coil alone because with of the additional labor cost of replacing the coil at their high labor rates, not because it is foolish. They do what is easier and quicker for them regardless of the cost. Just like other things, remember the PGM-FI main relay issues on the older Accords which could be fixed but simply re-soldering one pin? No dealership garage would do that 10 minute fix, instead they sold the $50 part. The current 2013 generation Accords are plagued by starter problems which can be fixed by replacing the brushes using a $35 brush kit. No dealership will do that labor, instead they will sell you a new $900 starter.

There are many many examples of this type of repair that a DYI can do in a fraction of the cost. Because there are few DYI'ers percentage wise among car owners, these parts for the cheap fixes are sometimes hard to find. That doesn't mean they are a "fools errand".
zigner is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 4,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by zigner View Post
A dealership garage won't sell a coil alone because with of the additional labor cost of replacing the coil at their high labor rates, not because it is foolish. They do what is easier and quicker for them regardless of the cost. Just like other things, remember the PGM-FI main relay issues on the older Accords which could be fixed but simply re-soldering one pin? No dealership garage would do that 10 minute fix, instead they sold the $50 part. The current 2013 generation Accords are plagued by starter problems which can be fixed by replacing the brushes using a $35 brush kit. No dealership will do that labor, instead they will sell you a new $900 starter.
LoL and you are privy to this information how?
How many dealerships have you owned,managed or operated? Even been a shop foreman of?

You have no clue what youre talking about......
DCFIVER is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
LoL and you are privy to this information how?
How many dealerships have you owned,managed or operated? Even been a shop foreman of?

You have no clue what youre talking about......
Very telling that you somehow failed to refute any of my examples! ;-) Sure, you have a shop foreman to understand why dealerships replace parts with new factory ones, rather than repairing components of those parts! Sure! LOL!

Hey buddy, how about an $800 new starter for your car?
zigner is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 4,327
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...

Originally Posted by zigner View Post
Very telling that you somehow failed to refute any of my examples! ;-)
Could you guarantee that no other joints or connections will crack in that 15-25 year old relay after you repair the faulty joint? Can you make that gurantee 10s of 1000s of times over?


Originally Posted by zigner View Post
Sure, you have a shop foreman to understand why dealerships replace parts with new factory ones, rather than repairing components of those parts! Sure! LOL!
Yes genius, you do. You need to understand the dynamics of warranty,insurance, personnel, customer satisfaction and the financial structure of the business.All of these factors com into play when a repair facility makes a decision on how they do business. If youve ever owned,or even managed an automotive repair facility,you'd know and fully understand this. This is why no two facilities operate the same or charge the same rate.

Repairing a part vs replacing a parts pays much better in the short term, but could be very costly in the long term if that repair fails.


Im sure your internet mechanic wisdom is appreciated in other forums,but it is a waste here......
DCFIVER is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
condor22
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
9
01-01-2015 08:03 PM
thead
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
5
02-11-2014 05:45 AM
jeffge
Tech / Misc
1
08-15-2010 06:50 AM
03djmAccrd
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012)
20
07-25-2010 05:16 AM
TomSlick
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
2
10-11-2004 02:19 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad A/C clutch, what to do, what to do...


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: