Alpine couldn't fix their own radio?? '05 Accord help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine couldn't fix their own radio?? '05 Accord help please

I need some help please.
2005 Accord LX 4-door
The OEM radio went out over a year ago. Finally I took out the radio and sent it to Alpine along with the check in the amount they requested. 3 weeks later I received the check back voided out, a letter stating it was not repairable and the unit arrived shortly afterwards.
Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to go aftermarket, I want to keep the original face and controls (I've heard the aftermarket face has finish issues). So I'm looking on ebay and similar websites and all I can find is 6 disc cd players. Will I be able to make the 6 disc version work? And I saw an ad that said once installed it will have to go to the dealer for programming. Can someone please clarify this for me?
I'm very grateful for your time.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alpine couldn't fix their own radio?? '05 Accord help please

I dont know whats wrong with your radio but I had a place repair my lexus oem radio.

Rive automotive electronics
925 513 0021
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the most elegant solution, but they do sell these if you can live without the center pocket.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qsXrQOs...eiver-Kit.html

You could also try to get the dealer to send it in for repair. I doubt it would get sent back "unrepairable". What is wrong with it exactly? No power, no sound, dim display?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thomis
I need some help please.
2005 Accord LX 4-door
The OEM radio went out over a year ago. Finally I took out the radio and sent it to Alpine along with the check in the amount they requested. 3 weeks later I received the check back voided out, a letter stating it was not repairable and the unit arrived shortly afterwards.
Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to go aftermarket, I want to keep the original face and controls (I've heard the aftermarket face has finish issues). So I'm looking on ebay and similar websites and all I can find is 6 disc cd players. Will I be able to make the 6 disc version work? And I saw an ad that said once installed it will have to go to the dealer for programming. Can someone please clarify this for me?
I'm very grateful for your time.
My experience with Honda/Alpine for their lousy and unreliable electronics have been similar. They either can't fix it or take at least 4-6 weeks to repair. I would not replace the old unit with the 6 disc CD changer because your console controller may not be compatible and may be damaged if you hook it up. I would try to get a used unit from the local salvage yard that match what you have. That way you know that it should work. I don't think the dealer can do anything to reprogram your controller, they will likely have to replace it with the EX version to control the 6 CD changer. You may be able to get both the controller and the 6 CD changer from the salvage yard from an EX and replace them both.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried going through the dealership to try to get an out of warranty exchange unit? I do this a couple times a week with different makes of vehicles and haven't had any problems getting one fairly cheap(as opposed to a new OEM unit)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dealers are only there to rip you off and make things difficult. Everyone knows that.

The OP probably isn't even reading this.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see how it could be any easier.

Go to dealership, say you want your radio looked at and ask specifically about an out of warranty exchange unit, dealer writes an RO, tech concurrs that head unit is indeed bad, parts guys call and price an out of warranty unit and present it to the customer.

It could be as cheap as $250 all the way up to $500 or $600 depending on the model of the radio.

If the parts guys are nice enough you can even call them with your VIN and price one over the phone. Saves you that half hour diag charge.

Source: Me. I'm a parts manager at a Nissan dealership.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM replacement (don't gag at the price): http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...xcept-auto-a-c

Nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/ They're going for about $100-150
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The OP probably isn't even reading this.
Yes I am.
I still haven't gotten this resolved. I decided against the 6 cd changer and now just trying to get the single OEM radio. Now I'm being told after I spend $300+ on the radio I'll have to take it to a dealer and pay about $100 for it to be programmed. I can't believe how much hassle this has been. My last Honda indeed.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's going to be your last Honda because of an unreliable OEM stereo? You could easily pick up a used aftermarket one for under $100 and have a friend wire it up for free, or have a reputable audio shop do it for you.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reading, just not answering any questions that the people trying to help you are asking.

Originally Posted by thomis
Yes I am.
Now I'm being told after I spend $300+ on the radio I'll have to take it to a dealer and pay about $100 for it to be programmed.
Did their breath stink? I only ask because whoever told you that was talking straight out of their ***.

Are you really gonna hate Honda over a broken 8 year old radio that Honda didn't even build? Great attitude. Buy a Nissan....please.