Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Alarm went off and door jam switch question

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Alarm went off and door jam switch question

Hello,
I am driving a 2003 Accord V6 Sedan with 214,000 miles on it. Last week I had my alternator, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, etc replaced. I do not know if that caused this issue, but I figured it could be relevant. Now here is what happened/is happening.

Yesterday when I arrived at home and went in side, I locked my doors with the Key FOB to set the alarm as I do every day. A little while later the alarm went off. I went out side, disarmed the alarm with the key FOB. I was unable to lock the car with the key FOB. So I went around the car opening and closing all the doors, the trunk and the hood. I assumed that this was the issue. After I did this the car did allow me to relock and set the alarm.

Later that night my neighbors informed me that the alarm was going off AGAIN. (I assume they were not too happy). So I tried this again, it did work but it was only a 5 minute fix. So after a little web searching and such I saw some people discussing door jamb, hood and trunk switches. I assumed this was the problem.

I took the car for a drive, when the car was running and I opened the drivers door, the dash indicated that both the drivers side front and rear doors were open. I closed the door and the dash displayed all doors etc closed, I was perplexed. Then I shut the car off and opened and closed all the doors again, the dome light worked correctly and I reset my alarm. So I unlocked everything, I pulled the fuse to the horn and locked her up. A short while later the dome light came on and the alarm went off again (at least it was quiet this time).

This time when I closed the doors the dome light would not go off so I know one of my doors was indicating it was ajar. This will not allow you to set your alarm or lock the doors with the key FOB. So, I turned off my dome light and locked the doors with the driver side manual switch. This worked and I was at least able to sleep the rest of the night (3 hours).

This morning, when I drove to work I turned the dome light back to auto, started the car and everything seemed A-OK. When I parked and turned it off the dome light came on. I turned the key to ON so I could read the display. It indicated that the Driver side rear door was ajar. I went and wiggle the switch and it would intermittently work for a few moments, then that stopped. I assumed the switch was broken and I went to Honda and purchased a new switch. Unfortunately I do not have any tools here to change the switch out so I can not prove if this is truly the issue.

Here is where my confusion comes in. When coming back from the dealership I noticed that when the car is up and running the rear door switch appears to work normal. You push it in and the light on the dash goes off and so does the dome light, when you release it (door open) everything turns on. The only thing is, when you open the driver’s side front door, it indicates both doors open.

When you turn the car off the dome light goes on and the car indicates that the driver’s side rear door is open. All other door indicators work properly now too. Each indicator indicates there own door.

Has anyone ever had something similar to this happen? Why would the switch work when the car is running, but not when it is off?

I hope when I have a chance to replace the switch it resolves everything.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank You and Happy New Years,
Shawn