Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

AHHHH...spilled coffee on cloth driver's seat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHHH...spilled coffee on cloth driver's seat.

So I was getting out my car at my job's parking lot. As I was getting out, I trapped my computer bag and it snagged on to my coffee thermal that was in my cup holder. Coffee spilled into my driver seat. I had nothing to clean it up and I had to get to work. On my way home, I purchased turtle wax Upholstery cleaner, and some micro cloths. I was able to clean some of it up.

Any tips on how to get the coffee that got soaked in?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: AHHHH...spilled coffee on cloth driver's seat.

Get a can of chlorinated brake parts cleaner (same ingredient used to dryclean) and liberally spray the seat and scrub with a rag while spraying very wet. It will dry quickly enough and repeat as needed. High pressure air will also help alot.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure that Id want to be using brake cleaner on a cloth seat. Ive seen what that stuff does if you get it on your skin, so Im not sure Id want to be sitting in the chemical residue of it every day.
My advice would be to go to any auto parts store and buy whatever carpet cleaner they have. I believe Turtle Wax has a nice kit for doing that. We used it on our Ford Escape a few years ago when the cargo area got all nasty from hauling potted plants and it worked like a charm.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what car and what color?

I am curious because if you are inclined, I always see OEM seat covers for sale on ebay. easily replaced.

if it's an 08-11 and tan, I have a set I can sell you
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to guess the stain has already set in, because it's coffee.

I would use spot shot. Get the spray can. It's stronger than the pump.

It is strong stuff. If it works, it works like magic. If it does not, I would call it SOL and not do anything else.

You don't want the chemicals from all those cleaner to damage the seat and cause it to wear prematurely.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
Im not sure that Id want to be using brake cleaner on a cloth seat. Ive seen what that stuff does if you get it on your skin, so Im not sure Id want to be sitting in the chemical residue of it every day.
My advice would be to go to any auto parts store and buy whatever carpet cleaner they have. I believe Turtle Wax has a nice kit for doing that. We used it on our Ford Escape a few years ago when the cargo area got all nasty from hauling potted plants and it worked like a charm.
I used Turtle was and it worked great. No stains! However, I'm thinking about inside the seat.

Originally Posted by MSchu
what car and what color?

I am curious because if you are inclined, I always see OEM seat covers for sale on ebay. easily replaced.

if it's an 08-11 and tan, I have a set I can sell you
2012 Honda Accord with ivory interior. Can I asked what is OEM?

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I'm going to guess the stain has already set in, because it's coffee.

I would use spot shot. Get the spray can. It's stronger than the pump.

It is strong stuff. If it works, it works like magic. If it does not, I would call it SOL and not do anything else.

You don't want the chemicals from all those cleaner to damage the seat and cause it to wear prematurely.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
Get a can of chlorinated brake parts cleaner (same ingredient used to dryclean) and liberally spray the seat and scrub with a rag while spraying very wet. It will dry quickly enough and repeat as needed. High pressure air will also help alot.
Originally Posted by Bakemono36
I've used straight up brake cleaner to remove smudges I made on the headliner from that nasty grease GM uses on it's frames. Spray some on a rag or paper towel and it pretty much wipes right off.

Originally Posted by cdero
Can I asked what is OEM?
Original Equipment Manufacturer- In this case it means genuine Honda parts.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM... Original Equipment Manufacturer.

I think I have a set of Ivory Covers here. what happens a lot of the time is people buy these cars and then want an interior change... they want leather so they remove the original seat covers and sell them.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a carpet steam cleaner, with an upholstery wand I have to use it on my work truck often. Of course you have to re-scotchgard afterwards.