Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

aftermarket stereo on accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket stereo on accord

planning to purcahse 03-07 accord coupe with dual climate control, however i noticed the oem stereo design is a lot different than my other cars...I am planning to get a Kenwood double din navigation unit..is it a pain in the butt to take off the original piece?? i have replaced the cd player on my corrola, MR2 and the other old Accord and all of them were pretty straight forward.... the reason i want a kenwood nav is because i also want the usb/aux feature..., however my concern is, what do i have to do in order to make my unit compatible with the steering wheel control buttons, any special adapter???? please let me know if this is doable...thank you
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket stereo on accord

If you don't get much replies here, I'll move it to the audio section. Or you can let me know now.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the newer cars seem to be getting harder to modify steros
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an 08 Accord and I just put a Kenwood double DIN Navi/Stereo in it last weekend. I can’t really speak to the 07 setup because I've never seen one but the 08 is definitely different from anything I had ever seen.

As far as the steering wheel controls (SWC) you have to buy an interface to translate the factory protocols for the aftermarket head unit. Not really a big deal.

I bought a Kenwood DNX6980, an Axxess SWC interface, Sirius add-on, & Garmin Eco-Drive, as well as a Polk Audio component speaker set for the front doors, Polk Audio woofers for the rear deck, and a Kenwood KSC-SW10 powered sub.

Weekend before last I put the speakers in. Not a big deal. A little challenging mounting the crossovers but all in all no big deal. Rear deck was interesting. Amazing how much better the stock stereo sounded with just the new speakers.

This past weekend I put the stereo head unit in and it was another story for sure. I bought everything but the sub from Crutchfield. My order came with an adapter made by Metra to go from the factory audio cable harness connector to the aftermarket stereo connector. I spent that Friday soldering the pigtail connections up between the Metra connector, the Axxess SWC interface connector, and the Kenwood connector. Not a bad adapter (the Metra) but all the pin locations were not populated, specifically the SCW signal and ground pins weren't there (I mean, what's the point of the adapter if you still have to hack up the harness for the SWC). The other thing (which Crutchfield charged extra for) that came with my order was a new dash piece or double DIN adapter made by Scosche. Basically you take the air conditioning controls out of the old assembly and mount them into the new one as well as the new stereo. That worked out pretty nice although no real instructions come from Scosche and the ones from Crutchfield were incomplete at best...I missed one trim piece at the bottom and had to take the center console back apart to put it on.

Running the 2 satellite antenna (GPS & Sirius) & Sub cables was the worst. I was also putting sound deadening material in along the way (the hell w/ dynamat - Peel & Seal from Lowes at $16 for 26' is just as good & way easier on the pocket book after shelling out $1700 for the whole shebang). I did the doors & the rear deck the weekend before with the speakers (rear deck sucked cuz of the side curtain airbags in the pillars). The GPS antenna cable turned out to be thicker & shorter than the Sirius, too fat to fit in the groove between the back window & the roof & too short to go from the trunk lid down under the doors to the front so I got to route it a second time under the back seat & carpet & under the center console up to the stereo. Note to self put the Sirius antenna in the back next time.

All things considered I enjoyed it, but it put a woopin' on me, it's Tuesday night & I’m still a little sore.

I have to say I'm lovin the Kenwood DNX6980. Just getting started on the tweaking but so far I am very impressed. Having trouble with the wife's Motorola Atrix 4G not downloading the address book to the stereo, I'm guessing it is because she has her contacts linked to facebook or some other such crap...oh well I'll figure it out.

Hope this wasn’t to long winded.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

was this on the 08 accord coupe?^ because idk if the audio is the same on the coupe / sedan models...lol didnt want to quote bc its tooo long
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This was on an 08 Accord Sedan non-dual climate control w/out navi 6 speaker
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok because i got a 09 accord coupe and my stock sub is rattling so ive been looking at better audio systems but the wiring is gunna be a problem
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got a '03 coupe 6 spd w/ dual cc. The stereo setup is lame. You have to buy a kit for like $200 that puts it in the cubby below...weak! And that screen that shows a/c and radio function just broke yesterday! Love the 6 speed trans and v-tec v6 though.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude g0 on ebay and buy the dash kit! http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-2004-2005-2...item53e68fc98b ur going to have to cut the dash kit too fit a double din! for these accords onli single dins were made but just buy the one in the link above and cut to fit. did it on mine. if u ina tri-state area i can just sell u mine! i sold my radio/music! so i got the kit just there!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everything is jusst plug and play on hard part is the moding for the double din
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Accord-200...item4cf52e9ff2