Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Accord Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accord Engine Swap

So I've owned my 04 6cyl accord for some time, and since the first day had always dreamed about more power. Talk of turbos, exhaust systems, and more broke out with my friends multiple times, and one day i thought about an LS1 swap. Before getting too into it I was wondering if anybody has done one, or knows somebody that has done one, and what kind of problems they came across.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord Engine Swap

for starters its rwd so it would suck to do. but i would be curious how a tl type-s motor would fit
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YOur Talking about a 6th gen teg motor? LS1? If so your nuts, the displacement is much less and be like a mini rocket pack on a whale. With the V6 it's harder to work around but if you pull that thing out overbore it, bump the compression and add more aggressive cam profile with good timing crossover and Tune. The V6 would be quite impressive
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by bsivoljr
YOur Talking about a 6th gen teg motor? LS1? If so your nuts, the displacement is much less and be like a mini rocket pack on a whale. With the V6 it's harder to work around but if you pull that thing out overbore it, bump the compression and add more aggressive cam profile with good timing crossover and Tune. The V6 would be quite impressive
Are you saying the displacement of the LS1 is less than the 6cyl?
LS1 is a 5.7L small block v8, my 6cyl is a 3.0. I may just be confused at what your trying to say though.
But I do agree, the 6cyl can be very impressive if done right, but that also requires quite a bit of money, and I can pick up an LS1 for a little more than a grand.
I will say though, the thought of a TL typeS engine hadn't crossed my mind.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to research what you'd have to do to get the TL-S six speed computer to work in your car, and then purchase the complete swap including the transmission.

I'm assuming you already have a six speed Accord, right?

It's easy to get 300 HP out of the J motors, and I think that this would be a reasonable limit to set for an Accord.

The brakes of the G7 and G7A Accords are questionable for much over 300 HP, IMHO.

Your V8 project will require research into spring rates and vehicle dynamics. If you insist on V8 power, then your mind should go to the current generation Impala SS, which has a transverse mounted V8.

But my sincere counsel would be to preserve the character of your Accord by looking at J motor combinations first.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to research what you'd have to do to get the TL-S six speed computer to work in your car, and then purchase the complete swap including the transmission.

I'm assuming you already have a six speed Accord, right?

It's easy to get 300 HP out of the J motors, and I think that this would be a reasonable limit to set for an Accord.

The brakes of the G7 and G7A Accords are questionable for much over 300 HP, IMHO.

Your V8 project will require research into spring rates and vehicle dynamics. If you insist on V8 power, then your mind should go to the current generation Impala SS, which has a transverse mounted V8.

But my sincere counsel would be to preserve the character of your Accord by looking at J motor combinations first.
I actually dont have a six speed sadly, I'm rocking a 5 speed auto, and trust me I've gotten enough crap from my friends for it. It just didnt work out at the time of purchase, which is why this will be a more extensive project because I'm hoping to put in a six speed manual transmission, but I might be getting myself in over my head with that one.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mmccall72
Are you saying the displacement of the LS1 is less than the 6cyl?
LS1 is a 5.7L small block v8, my 6cyl is a 3.0. I may just be confused at what your trying to say though.
But I do agree, the 6cyl can be very impressive if done right, but that also requires quite a bit of money, and I can pick up an LS1 for a little more than a grand.
I will say though, the thought of a TL typeS engine hadn't crossed my mind.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that engine it lives in many Camaros. OOps nevermind me
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While you can get the LS motor a bit over $1K, how much would it be to mod the enging and the car to make it work? Your'e looking at a different transmission, modding the engine bay, plus converting the accord from fwd to rwd. Don't forget the LS1 is heavier than the V6 so weight distribution from front to rear will be different.

If you make this happen....I would really like to see pictures of this amazine project.

G/L

Keep the dream alive, if someone can do this.....

you can swap the 6 for the 8.

and yes, it runs......youtube it. It's absoutely crazy!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and I can pick up an LS1 for a little more than a grand.
I would Like to see where ya can get a complete ls1 swap for a little over a grand. My friend just got one for his Chevy project and spent around $2500 for engine trans and harness. And he still had to get the ECU. Then your looking at anywhere from 15-20 grand in more parts and labor to convert the car to RWD. I am not in any way trying to knock your idea. I think it would be hella cool. But you make it seem like its gonna be a walk in the park.

Last edited by cimo463; 07-21-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You would have to change so many things, that make the Accord what it is, that you might as well start with a car that's compatible with that engine. The Accord would cease to be an Accord, IMO, so it would defeat the purpose.