Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Accord....Car Shake when Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord....Car Shake when Brake

When I am driving on the freeway (60mph) or any milage 40mph+ and hit the brakes, the car and steering shakes. I had this problem before when driving downhill, but that shake was very minor. Right now, this problem is worse while I hit the brake.

Is it the rotors????

Earlier this year, I had my left/right rear brake pads replaced. Before I had them replace, a car technician deeply inspected my brakes and other parts. That was when he suggested I needed the pads to be replace.

Would it be possible that they found out the rotors (or the problem causing this shake) was already something wrong at the time?

Any info will help!!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Accord....Car Shake when Brake

maybe it's rear bad brake
i have same problem
Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like it would be the rotors that are causing this. You need to go to a shop and have them test drive your car so they can determine if its the front or rear rotors that needs replacing or need to be resurfaced.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rahjahdat
Sounds like it would be the rotors that are causing this. You need to go to a shop and have them test drive your car so they can determine if its the front or rear rotors that needs replacing or need to be resurfaced.
+1 , same thing was happening to the wifes car, change the rotors and pads no more shaking...
Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Trial User

When I had the left/right rear pads change earlier, the tech also did an inspection on the rotors. There was a grinding sound while driving and it was the pads that need to be replace.

What does this mean? On the left/right rear rotors, he wrote down some numbers on there. On the l/right front rotors, there was no numbers and it was OK.

Does this mean the back rotors need to be replace or there is something wrong already, but not necessarily need to be change???
Old 10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Trial User

the front Rotors warp if still thick can resurface/machin then replace new brake pads as well if too thin then replace new Rotors. it's happen to my car when go 60 mph applied on brake the steering whell shake.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have warped rotors, if the steering shakes when you brake then is the front, if it doesn't but you still feel vibration then is the back. If you have drums in the back then is the front.
Turn the rotors and replace pads and it will go away.
Advice--->> If you like a lot of people race from light to light and hit the brakes hard, let them cool down before parking the car. The diferetial of heat between the pads and the rotors and the rest of the rotors is warping them because the pad keeps them hotter than the rest of the surface.

Evem with race rotors and pads you still have a cool down lap to bring everything back to temperature, we just don't park the car.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Trial User

The steeling wheel do shake and I can feel it is coming from the front. When I had the rear pads replaced, and before....the noise came from the back seat.

When I had the car inspection, the front rotors turns out to be OK. This was 6+ months ago. But, the rear...he wrote down .3###, but OK next to the number (meaning no need to replace)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the steering vibrates when you brake it is the front. You can't check for warp rotors just looking at them. Noise is a complete different problem. Actually I wouldn't call it a problem since noise has a lot to do with what type of pads are on the car. Some pads are just noisy.

Not trying to put down anybody but the majority of places hire "techs" that don't have any idea of what they are doing and most of the time you leave the place couple of hundreds less and still with your original problem.

Take your car if you haven't done it to a reputable place where they know what they are doing. It is not hard to warp the rotors. One good down hill riding the brakes and parking the car will warp them. Again, you can't just check visually for warp rotors.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Trial User

Should I take it back to the same or a different place?

I planned to take it back to the same place where I had the pads replaced months ago. But, when I look at the inspection list, I am still trying to figure out why and how come they never notice anything wrong with the rotors during the inspection. Just 10/32 on the front pads and OK on the rotors. I did joke that probably the guy did not notice anything or did notice something and making me come back again to get the $100/hr all over again.

I am planning to take it to a different place. But, still looking at which place that I can trust.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like I said , a visual inspection will not tell them that the rotors are warp. You can only tell when you cut them or if you can not cut them then replace them. They are not that expensive.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by markave
Should I take it back to the same or a different place?

I planned to take it back to the same place where I had the pads replaced months ago. But, when I look at the inspection list, I am still trying to figure out why and how come they never notice anything wrong with the rotors during the inspection. Just 10/32 on the front pads and OK on the rotors. I did joke that probably the guy did not notice anything or did notice something and making me come back again to get the $100/hr all over again.

I am planning to take it to a different place. But, still looking at which place that I can trust.
Taking your car to diffrent places is a bad idea. One garage will be pointing the finger at the other and one will say one thing while one will say another and it becomes a fiasco where you car is fixed half *** and you can't tell who ****ed up what cause so many people have touched it. Bring it to the same shop.

That first place didn't robb you or anything, you didn't need rotors at the time otherwise they would've told you, its the law its a saftey issue.
Most likely the vibration is from heavy stop and go traffic without cooling down correctly as said earlier.

Lol its not a big conspiracy not every shop is trying to robb you. If you really worryed about it had them diagnose it then bring it to another shop and have them diagnose it too, and compare. If any differences go back to the original shop and confront them with it.
Getting a third diagnosis would be even better
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Trial User

Thanks for all the comments.

The first place I went to has tons of customers each day with very friendly service. Even before closing time, there are still 5 cars left at the shop ready for repairing or inspection the next morning. I previously had an oil change at the shop a few times and their service was very good. That is why I went there for brake inspection
(free) and pads replace earlier this year.

Like I said before, when I drive fast on the freeway, I feel the vibration. When I am driving on the residential streets, I don't feel it. Never knew anything about the heat and cooling until I read the comments. But, I kind of knew it was the car rotors cause the vibration feels like it is the rotors/something heavy. Also, the heavy sound of the vibration.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by markave
Thanks for all the comments.

The first place I went to has tons of customers each day with very friendly service. Even before closing time, there are still 5 cars left at the shop ready for repairing or inspection the next morning. I previously had an oil change at the shop a few times and their service was very good. That is why I went there for brake inspection
(free) and pads replace earlier this year.

Like I said before, when I drive fast on the freeway, I feel the vibration. When I am driving on the residential streets, I don't feel it. Never knew anything about the heat and cooling until I read the comments. But, I kind of knew it was the car rotors cause the vibration feels like it is the rotors/something heavy. Also, the heavy sound of the vibration.
And its only vibrating when you brake?