Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Accord 6 Speed TSB

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Accord 6 Speed TSB

I have Stickyed the TSB for the Accord/Civic 6 speed third gear.
Attached Images    
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Now, we shouldn't have to listen to any "you just don't know how to drive your car, ricer. I'm the best driver in the world, never happens to me yo" drivel. But something tells me we still will.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has always had this "tightness"... even when I was test driving my accord with 9 miles on it, I ground a gear going into third.

To date it's been intermittent at best, and I am very familiar with the tranny characteristics that are typical Honda so I don't even bat an eyebrow at very occasional minor grind. Certainly I never try and force a gear, and over the last few months the transmission has been loosing up and been more user friendly than ever. I think a bad or aggressive driver can absolutely exacerbate this condition

I haven't even bothered to see if my car falls in this VIN range.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by MSchu
Mine has always had this "tightness"... even when I was test driving my accord with 9 miles on it, I ground a gear going into third.

To date it's been intermittent at best, and I am very familiar with the tranny characteristics that are typical Honda so I don't even bat an eyebrow at very occasional minor grind. Certainly I never try and force a gear, and over the last few months the transmission has been loosing up and been more user friendly than ever. I think a bad or aggressive driver can absolutely exacerbate this condition

I haven't even bothered to see if my car falls in this VIN range.
Yeah my Av6-6 has this problem, but since it's been very cold, it hasn't happened. Others have said it happens more when it's hot out, so who knows, maybe it has something to do with the viscosity of the trans oil. I specifically looked for this before I bought the car in May, because I was privy to the TSB. I test drove the car twice, totaling over 20 miles, and could never notice any notchiness or resistance to shifting to 3rd at all. Shortly after I bought it and brought it home it started I've owned six 5-speed Hondas, and none have had any problems other than the obligatory synchro problems in the older cars that have been abused.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh, lately, i haven't had the 3rd gear grinding problem. but it still does occur once in a while, only when in vtec at 5.5-6.8rpm's. it just got cold around here and i think it's still the same as in hot weather. it did get better after i used the new and improved Honda M/T fluid. at first didn't get that much difference. but i feel as months passed by, the fluid started to break down the wear and has been doing its thing. i think after one more transmission fluid swap, it should be very good, bc i'm sure some of the old fluid is still in there, not fully flushed
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm..thats funny because that happends to my L4 08 accord also. i just talked to my buddy who is a service writer and said it only affects the 6spd trans only. but hell with it its under warranty..haha

ill keep you informed with the 4cyl trans issue as i go..
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by K20DC2R
hmm..thats funny because that happends to my L4 08 accord also. i just talked to my buddy who is a service writer and said it only affects the 6spd trans only. but hell with it its under warranty..haha

ill keep you informed with the 4cyl trans issue as i go..
Yeah, keep us posted. Are you talking about the grinding, notchiness or popping out of 3rd gear? Good luck getting the dealership to do anything about it. There was an investigation done by a San Diego news station because Honda technicians kept on saying they were not able to recreate the problems, when you know damn well they're told to say that.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would it be an idea to change out the transmission fluid for something synthetic?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 PM

k info
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx?zo=1564978
Old 12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ the honda trans dont need anything else other than stock honda MT fluid. yeah id rather change the fluid under warranty rather than have a tech gut my trans/syncros out( room for even more issues) but if worst comes to worst id get a new trans....

I used to work at that honda as a mechanic for 5 years and still tight with everyone. im sure they can help a brtoher out with warranty.....maybe......hopfully....lol...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh, go with stock oem honda new and improved MT fluid. i recommend dat everyy 6 speed change it
Old 12-25-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Accord 6 Speed TSB

My friend had this problem. Honda was really great about getting it fixed quickly and for free. They even gave him a rental to drive around while he didn't have his car for free that's why I love this company.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i'm very shocked that they treated you so well. Honda is usually very difficult by giving you hard times. Very shocked they also gave u a courtesy car for free. Their usual excuse is "we're all out." thats why i hate this company, i just like their engines
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, son of a bitch that's alot of parts. Good to see Honda is finally doing something about it. Now just have to wait for them to roll in.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:05 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ch0baca
wow i'm very shocked that they treated you so well. Honda is usually very difficult by giving you hard times. Very shocked they also gave u a courtesy car for free. Their usual excuse is "we're all out." thats why i hate this company, i just like their engines
You're going to the wrong dealerships.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Targa250R
You're going to the wrong dealerships.
He's probably pretty young. There was a news investigation done by a San Diego news station into the lies and BS from local Honda dealerships about the new Civic Si trans TSB, which is the same exact thing. Basically, they kept telling people they could not recreate the symptoms, and telling them they're SOL and wouldn't touch anything. I can't blame a dealership for not wanting to do a warranty repair, but for God's sake, it affects EVERY SINGLE car made with the six speed transmission, and they're still lying to people to avoid doing it. This is one of the many arrogant things I have observed about the company. They have the "if you aren't happy with our **** poor customer service/relations, we'll find somebody else to bend over, because we're Honda." They have a hell of a lot of TSBs that simply affect every single car made in a certain year or range of years, yet won't recall the part because that might not screw over the guys that are just out of warranty when it fails.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 AM

sigh new honda's and their third gear..
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM

I have a 2009, V6, 6 speed with about 4K miles on it now. I notice what I think is a gear whine around 50 mph in fifth or sixth gear. Dunno if this is normal or not but I am about to make an appt. to have the oil/filter changed and will bring it up then with the dealer. Comments appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting. the rsx's had the EXACT same problem lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so it's been winter for a couple of months now, and i have noticed NOOO gear grindage anymore with the new honda tranny fluid. i really think this stuff cured my 3rd gear grind, i'm not sure if it's the cold weather thats helping it or not, but i could say i've done vtec from 2nd gear to 3rd gear many times this winter and it has not grinded once. i'm so happy!! but the true test is if it reoccurs in the hot weather...i guess this fluid takes a couple thousand miles to break in and really work
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Manual trans fluid does take a while to wear in before it smooths out the shift feel, in my experience.

If you're not getting grinds when cold, you'll be fine. They usually tend to crunch into gear when the fluid is cold, and smooth out as it warms up. Honda apparently switched to a lower viscosity oil when they reformulated their MTF a few years back, in order to improve cold weather shift feel.

Just remember to change it every 30,000 miles at the maximum. A lot of folks neglect to change it at all ever, and then wonder why their transmission shifts like crap and develops bearing noises . . .
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM

funny, i had this problem too. I know its gonna grind when I go into third, so when I shift I leave my hand on the **** pressuring it to stay there so it doesnt pop back out... iono if thats gonna be any good for my tranny...
Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

A Honda representative told me a couple of days ago that this programme has been extended to a variety of vehicles, and that dealers are more open about it, even to the point of appearing to be proactive.

If you have this issue and it is bothering you, you should check with a Honda dealer service manager. :-)