Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

ABS computer failure?! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 ABS computer failure?! HELP

Hey all,

I have a serious problem that needs some assistance!! So I've had this whirring sound occuring for the past year or so. I know it's a long time, but I didn't think anything of it. It happens between 20 and 40 mph. When I'm accelerating. There's no change in the Rpm, but there is a marked difference in my acceleration! If I let off the gas a little it goes away and then I can continue driving without any issues. Well, a few months ago my passenger compartment got about 2 inches of water in it! So I brought it to the local shop who told me that my ABS computer is fried. They were going to look for the part and let me know how much, but to be warned that just to flash the computer would cost me $500 @ the dealer!

NOW- on top of all that, I have a rattling sound! when i turn the corner and accelerate. I don't know what to do with this car anymore! Can all of these things be a part of the same problem?? Could the rattling be my brakes??
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ABS computer failure?! HELP

Take the car up to 30mph and SLAM AS HARD AS YOU CAN on the brake pedal. If you hear a noise similar to a zipper from the car and the ABS light turns on and off, the ABS works. If the ABS light on the dash turns on then off and stays off when you insert the key and start the car, the "ABS computer" is OK. Shops can and do make **** up to make revenue; call around and ask what the book time is on that particular job. I've had shops quote me $500 for a ****ing tie rod and alignment. Jesus H Christ it isn't rocket science; the tie rod is 30 minutes of work max and the alignment another hour or two plus part cost.

Whirring sounds like the torque converter; check your trans fluid and make sure it isn't burnt. If it is burnt the trans is done and needs replaced, if it isn't burnt, crank down on the pedal to max out the acceleration; if at any point acceleration decreases significantly it's probably the torque converter. A Torque converter job usually requires pulling the engine or disassembling the car quite a ways in and most shops will tell you to change the trans anyway; if you're planning on keeping the car for a long while, it isn't a bad idea.