Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2012 Accord Vibration at High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Accord Vibration at High Speed

I recently purchased a 2012 Accord and have been experiencing a vehicle vibration (not just steering wheel) at 120km/h (75mph) and above.

I have had numerous wheel alignments and static wheel balancing done and have had the tires rotated. At one point my tires were diagnosed with flat spots and the dealer replaced the tires with el cheapo ones. None of this solved the problem.

Another wheel and tire shop said that the new tires were "hopping". I purchased a new set of quality Goodyear tires. The problem persisted.

I have had the shocks checked, no problems there.

Some bent wheel rims were then diagnosed and I had 3 of the 4 wheels straightened. Not sure if it was my imagination or not but it seemed to get better but the problem is still there.

I took the car to a Honda dealership twice. They failed to find any obvious suspension or wheel-related problems and basically have not even acknowledged the problem, even after a test drive.

Is it possible that wheel rims may be the culprit and that the repairs I have had done were inadequate to completely rectify the problem? Is it worth purchasing a new set of after market wheels?

I was advised to also do a high speed/road force balance, but other "experts" are of the opinion that a normal (static) balance would generally be sufficient and any residual vibration after that is unrelated to a balancing issue?

I have been advised to have the CV joints checked out, but the vibration occurs with and without any power/torque being applied.

The vibration is similar to driving on a "cobblestone" type dirt road but less severe. It is very noticeable and annoying on smooth road surfaces.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2012 Accord Vibration at High Speed

I think it's probably your imagination... overly critical, and looking for demons.

how is it you feel cobblestone vibrations and no one else can feel it?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Trial User

It is only distinguishable from road roughness on smoother road surfaces, which the initial Honda tech didn't drive it on. The second admitted to never taking it past 80km/h (50mph), where the problem never existed.

I took a drive with a guy from the wheel & tire shop and he could feel the vibration from the passenger seat.

Trust me, I want it to be in my head but there is a definite and noticeable problem. Just did a longer 300 mile trip and on the smoother freeway sections wanted to pull my hair out.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, my 92 integra does the same thing. New engine mounts, new struts, new poly bushings. New moog inner and outer tie rods. OEM alloy rims, new tires. I did check last night, and jacked up, if I grab the tire and move it a bit left to right, there is a dead spot on the steering. My 91 would vibrate under acceleration. I think it's the steering rack. I also think the rear compensator bushings are another culprit. They are the only ones I haven't replaced yet because the bolts rusted to the sleeves. Have to cut them out. I shake right around 68-72 and the steering wheel will shake visibly around 80