Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2009 Accord TPMS ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Accord TPMS ISSUE

I have been having a issue with the TPMS light in my 09 Accord for the last 3 months and 6 trips and $1K at the dealer. The TPMS light came on and I took it to the dealer, they replaced all 4 sensors, drove about 25 miles and the light came back on, returned to dealer , this time they replaced the control module. Drove about 25 miles and the light came back on , upon return I was told they didn't program one sensor into the new module. Drove 20 or so miles and light came back on, they reset and said it lost the programing for one sensor again. During all of this I noticed that the light was only coming on at Highway speeds if I drove around town the light would go off and not illuminate until I had traveled 20 - 25 miles at 65 plus mph. When driving at city speeds it never would come on no matter how far I drove the car. Now the dealer is telling me it is because I have a aftermarket radio in the car (Clarion NX501 DVD/NAV with HD radio) I informed them the radio was in the car for 3 years and almost 90,000 miles (mostly highway) before this problem started occuring. Has anyone heard of this before? Are there any other components to this system besides the sensors and the module?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2009 Accord TPMS ISSUE

I get this all the time at my dealership. Usually just a faulty sensor but there were a couple instances where there was interference from a radio and or other accessories (ie cell phone charger, gps-units, tinted windows) causing the problem.

The reason it won't set during city driving is, the sensors only start to transmit when the vehicle reaches 28mph and it must be at that speed cumulatively for 20+ min. So if you're in the city, with a lot of stop and go traffic, you're probably making it to where you want before it has enough info to set the DTC.

Have them clear the code and if you have any aftermarket accessories unplug them and drive the car. If you unplug everything and it returns, there is a problem with the system. If you drive it and nothing comes back, plug in one accessory and drive the car again to see if the DTC comes back. Keep doing that, until you plug in everything that you would normally have running while driving, and when the DTC comes back you know what's causing your issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Almighty-Si
I get this all the time at my dealership. Usually just a faulty sensor but there were a couple instances where there was interference from a radio and or other accessories (ie cell phone charger, gps-units, tinted windows) causing the problem.

The reason it won't set during city driving is, the sensors only start to transmit when the vehicle reaches 28mph and it must be at that speed cumulatively for 20+ min. So if you're in the city, with a lot of stop and go traffic, you're probably making it to where you want before it has enough info to set the DTC.

Have them clear the code and if you have any aftermarket accessories unplug them and drive the car. If you unplug everything and it returns, there is a problem with the system. If you drive it and nothing comes back, plug in one accessory and drive the car again to see if the DTC comes back. Keep doing that, until you plug in everything that you would normally have running while driving, and when the DTC comes back you know what's causing your issue.
That was my plan but the my concern is that the radio has been in the car since March 2009 roughly for 150,000 of the 173,000 miles on the car, the Valentine 1 Radar detector has been in the car since the day I brought it home in Oct of 2008, the only other accessory is my iphone charger so I can't see what could be causing the issue and the windows are not tinted. You are probably right about the mileage though and the length of time and speed as that would coincide with the 20 - 25 miles on the highway when the light comes on.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM

I work at a dealership, I know in our case we have had a lot of problems re-learning the tpms systems in certain cars. The system we use to learn the sensors needed an update several months ago and since then we have to go through the process several times to get some vehicles right. I'm not saying this is the case in your instance, but it may be the case.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Andyxs
I work at a dealership, I know in our case we have had a lot of problems re-learning the tpms systems in certain cars. The system we use to learn the sensors needed an update several months ago and since then we have to go through the process several times to get some vehicles right. I'm not saying this is the case in your instance, but it may be the case.
Thanks for the info, I spoke at length to the tech today. They still won't drive the car 20 plus miles straight on the interstate but he claims after he pulled the fuses for the radio, my rada and unpluged the iphone charger from the console 12 volt supply the light would not come on after he drove 10 miles on the interate and back 10 miles. I am going to pick it up tomorrow am and leave everything unplugged and see what it does when I hit the 21 mile mark on my drive to work in the afternoon.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it looks like the Iphone 5 charger was the issue, since I have had it unplugged no problems. Odd since I had it in the car a month before the light came on for the first time. Guess I never needed the new module or the 4 new sensors in the first place.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a tech For Honda and aftermarket accessories do all sorts of weird things with the new cars these days. Rfi interference, voltage back feed, there's so many computers, modules and gadgets crammed in these cars it's ridiculous. Just be glad your iPhone didn't tell your on board computer that you wanted full throttle.... Cable less throttle systems gotta love it!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EG_fan_59
I'm a tech For Honda and aftermarket accessories do all sorts of weird things with the new cars these days. Rfi interference, voltage back feed, there's so many computers, modules and gadgets crammed in these cars it's ridiculous.
Fo Sho^