Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   2008 Honda Accord V6 Piston Ring Job? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/2008-honda-accord-v6-piston-ring-job-3328222/)

Jeff Johnson 10-01-2018 01:42 PM

2008 Honda Accord V6 Piston Ring Job?

Good afternoon. New member here.
I've owned 3 Hondas/Acuras in the past but this is my first in 15 years. I purchased a 2008 Honda Accord from a neighbor that I know very well. It is immaculate and the service history is perfect. When I purchase it, it had 79,000 miles. I have owned it for 6 months and had added another 10,000 or so.
I've never had even the slightest issue. I changed the oil at about 8,500 miles and have about 1,500 miles on the new oil. It has not burned oil or at least not enough to notice. It doesn't smoke at all.
Friday morning on the way to work, I got a flashing check engine light. I finished the drive to work without issue. The car was running a bit rough. At lunch, I took it to a gas station and put in 12 gallons of high octane gas, hoping that I had just gotten bad gas. In the 2 miles round trip, it ran rough and the TCS light came on in addition to the check engine and low tire pressure light. I parked the car at work over the weekend and made an appointment at the nearest Honda dealer which was about 5 miles away. The lights remained on during the trip but the car ran perfectly.
I received a call from the service department a couple of hours later and was told that it needed a ring job that would cost about $3200. This includes a timing belt replacement, which I know is due. He told me that this was a known issue with this car and Honda had extended the warranty to cover the car up to 8 years or 125,000 miles. I'm 2 years past this point.
I did some research and the issue is real but the diagnosis has a smell of BS, at least to me. There were no symptoms or issues. The car has been babied by the 80 year old prior owner and I've continued the same treatment.
I'm thinking that I may have the plugs changed as I spoke the prior owner and he never had it done. If that doesn't fix it, I'll go to a different Honda dealer and get another opinion.
Sorry for such a long-winded first post but I wanted to know what the experts here think.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

DCFIVER 10-02-2018 10:16 AM

Re: 2008 Honda Accord V6 Piston Ring Job?

Go with your gut. I'd get a second opinion.

The ring issue is usually accompanied by high oil consumption. Additionally the spark plugs will be excessively oil fouled.It is a real issue on this engine,but if you are unsure,get a second opinion.

Heymodi 07-08-2020 08:28 PM

Re: 2008 Honda Accord V6 Piston Ring Job?

Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson (Post 51743069)
Good afternoon. New member here.
I've owned 3 Hondas/Acuras in the past but this is my first in 15 years. I purchased a 2008 Honda Accord from a neighbor that I know very well. It is immaculate and the service history is perfect. When I purchase it, it had 79,000 miles. I have owned it for 6 months and had added another 10,000 or so.
I've never had even the slightest issue. I changed the oil at about 8,500 miles and have about 1,500 miles on the new oil. It has not burned oil or at least not enough to notice. It doesn't smoke at all.
Friday morning on the way to work, I got a flashing check engine light. I finished the drive to work without issue. The car was running a bit rough. At lunch, I took it to a gas station and put in 12 gallons of high octane gas, hoping that I had just gotten bad gas. In the 2 miles round trip, it ran rough and the TCS light came on in addition to the check engine and low tire pressure light. I parked the car at work over the weekend and made an appointment at the nearest Honda dealer which was about 5 miles away. The lights remained on during the trip but the car ran perfectly.
I received a call from the service department a couple of hours later and was told that it needed a ring job that would cost about $3200. This includes a timing belt replacement, which I know is due. He told me that this was a known issue with this car and Honda had extended the warranty to cover the car up to 8 years or 125,000 miles. I'm 2 years past this point.
I did some research and the issue is real but the diagnosis has a smell of BS, at least to me. There were no symptoms or issues. The car has been babied by the 80 year old prior owner and I've continued the same treatment.
I'm thinking that I may have the plugs changed as I spoke the prior owner and he never had it done. If that doesn't fix it, I'll go to a different Honda dealer and get another opinion.
Sorry for such a long-winded first post but I wanted to know what the experts here think.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

So what ended up happening? Were you able to get it covered?