Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2008 Accord LX sitting for 2 + years - Can't get out of Park???

Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 2008 Accord LX sitting for 2 + years - Can't get out of Park???

Hello:

My wife's mother had an elderly friend pass away with a 2008 Accord LX with 30K miles in USA. We are working on getting a replacement title from the owner's son. We had a key made by the locksmith. I had charged up the battery but it will have to be replaced. The car started up like a champ. The owner had changed the oil before he died.

The tires are knew and I put air in them. The locksmith made a key that does not have the buttons on it for $160. The one with Buttons/FOB was $220. I asked the locksmith if everything works the same an dthey said yes.

The problem is the automatic transmission is locked in Park. I tried turning the wheel but I cannot get it out of Park. I asked the locksmith again and they said the key is not the problem. There is a little opening by the auto transmission shifter. The plate showing P, N, D etc. It almost looks like a key or dongle could go it there. The car seems great except hoses will need replacing soon and probably fan belts.

Any ideas on why I cannot get it out of park? Thanks. .
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Accord LX sitting for 2 + years - Can't get out of Park???

I found out you can push a screwdriver into the override which is a small slot on the base of the shifter. This is not a long term practical solution. Supposedly, there is a fuse that solves this problem. Does anyone know which specific fuse and if the Accords have just one fuse box under the hood or a second one under the dash? Thanks.

Search this Thread