Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2008 Accord - Day Time Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon7 2008 Accord - Day Time Running Lights

this is on my 2008 Accord EXL Coupe:
I have a question about my DLR's (Day time running Lights) Being that they also function as the High beams....Also, being that the High Beams are at HALF POWER, to run the DRL's....
SO....I'm interested in changing those (stock-9005?) halogen...?...bulbs, with White LED's. The look I'm trying to achieve, ...when the DLR's are running....is what most modern car DRL are today....the white (LED) light.
SO....If I install LED's in those sockets.....will they still get HALF POWER to those bulbs...?.....and what would a HALF POWER LED...look like?
Has anyone tried this...and what results did you get...?
Thanks....I hope you can decipher what I'm talking about here.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Accord - Day Time Running Lights

It all depends on the design of the 9005 LED bulb. Many 9005 LED bulbs, when used as DRL/High Beam, give out lower lighting in high beam mode (for example, same low lighting in DRL or high beam modes) . Additionally, many require an aftermarket sub-harness with load resistors or some other configuration to power.

What seems to work without really sacrificing the high beam would be OLM LED MOAB or OLM LED MOAB Lite High Beam/DRL 9005 bulbs. You get the white DRL lighting and still usable high beams. I have the OLM MOAB Lite, as it is a little less lumens that the regular MOAB. (Some comments on the Subaru sites are the regular MOAB bulbs are a little too bright in DRL mode.) The OLM bulbs are plug and play, without any DRL, CAN bus errors, etc.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks....I checked out a couple web sites, (I have yet to price them on Amazon or Ebay) ...they all seem to come in around 75 bucks, that's a bit pricey for me....so I'll have to think about it for awhile. So, I am also concerned about them being to bright. The stock bulbs are 65W...if memory serves, and I do not want to blind oncoming traffic.when just running the DRL's...I thought that a lower wattage might be the way to go...
I am merely trying to save the expense of buying something that's to bright. As with most people.....I rarely find a need for my High beams.....so sacrificing those is no big deal.....maybe, just a cheaper LED, with about 30-40W....?
What do you think...? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator

Ultimately, it is your choice. In years past, I've seen too many aftermarket DRL LEDs on Honda and Acura that were just minimally bright or off-colored. It was only relatively recent that I found brighter LEDS (but, not blinding or glaring) that could give acceptable (to me) brightness, usefulness, and look similar to other OEM LED DRL lighting on other makes of cars.

Before you commit to any DRL/High LED bulb, check if the bulb/assemblies are plug and play or whether you need to purchase an additional sub-harness resistor set or power harness. For example, some need to use resistors sub-harnesses to prevent CAN bus errors and/or flickering, while others use an additional sub-harness to draw additional power from the battery during DRL mode to achieve functionality.

However, there are a few simple plug and play with no CAN bus errors, flickering, or sub-harness to connect directly to the car's battery.

Even if an LED bulb is very bright, in daylight settings, the contrast is usually not as bad versus overcast or darken settings. In overcast or darken settings, the regular low beam headlight should be used.

Last edited by tech8; 08-13-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a 5 min. video, that convinced me to go with the Auxbeam F16 9005.....which I just purchased a day or so ago....(have not yet received...35 bucks....on sale @ Auxbeam.com)
this guy starts out by replacing his current LED DRL's with the new Auxbeam F16's.....I looked under my hood yesterday....looks like it could be a P.I.T.A....can't really see what I'm working on....especially on the passenger side. I will NOT...be removing the bumper...or the headlight assembly. I did notice some flickering in his video...with the F16's...but he claims that...that was only due to his camera...?
I think he's working on a 2010 here....looks similar to my '08.....but mine has a lot less room to work....(much easier access on his) It shows a good (lower) amount of output in DRL mode...AND much brighter if I need the high beams......
....thanks for your help....& wish me luck.

Last edited by 92 Accord...man; 08-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Global Moderator

The DRL/high beam bulbs are relatively easy to replace. Instructions are from the owner's manual.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what's amusing about the owners manual...."Drawing"...is that removing the overflow tank is child's play...what it does not show is the very tight quarters of the bulb socket itself. (passenger side)
if you were to look at where my bulb socket is..(after removing the tank) ....there is a very small metal frame work space ...kind of looks like a metal framed box....and at the deepest part of the box is the socket...
so, I never said it couldn't be done....just that once you get your hand into this box area.....you can not see what your doing (your hand takes up the whole box, and you'll have to guess at lining up the tabs on the bulb base.
....therefore I will have to look through the front of the housing...and work by feel....IF I can...NOT impossible...just unfortunate. the video in my previous post, is NOT an '08....and his headlight assembly's are different, and his access points are different than mine...I merely posted that video to show what bulb type I'm going with...
I know I will have to remove the air intake, and maybe even the battery (maybe not the battery...?...but just for better access). Hell, I did HID kits on both my Low beams AND my fog lights a couple months ago....which wasn't so much of a pain...as it was time consuming....so I'm pretty sure I can knock these out of the park.....Bulbs arrive Monday....I'll try and post some photos....if possible.........