Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2008 Accord Coupe V6, 6 Speed Major Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Accord Coupe V6, 6 Speed Major Wobble

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Honda Accord, EX-L V6 6 Speed manual with 71k. I love it, its a great car. I am mechanically inclined and perform 90% of my car maintenance myself (CV's, brakes, trannys, clutches etc)

About 6 months ago I started to hear a "womp womp womp" noise coming from the front of the car and suspected a bearing issue. I pulled the front wheels and found major toe wear on the inside.

My OEM wheels were 18's but scratched up and I decided to buy a new set of 4 wheels and tires from TireRack. They were mounted and balanced by TireRack in a Hunter Road Force machine. These arrived and seemed to resolve the "womp womp" noise.

About a week after I installed these I stopped by a local NTB and got an alignment, so these tires wouldn't wear the same way. A day or two after this I noticed a wobble/vibration in the steering wheel at 60mph+, and it's extremely noticeable. The vibration feels like its coming from the front and can be felt in the seats, floor and even drinks in my cup holder jump around. If any of you have ever had 'death wobble' before it's similar to the onset of this, but not nearly as bad as full on death wobble.

I took the car back to the alignment shop and TireRack offered to pay for the wheels to be rebalanced here. They did this, but it did not make any difference. One of the techs claimed I had a tire out of round, and told TireRack (they were in communication). TireRack then mailed me two new tires and paid for NTB to mount and balance these, but it made no difference.

TireRack then shipped me two new wheels, with two new Hunter Road Force mounted and balanced tires on them. Unfortunately the problem is still there, and TireRack has done plenty at this point.

I just ordered OEM Honda hubs, bearings, left and right inner and outer tie rods and lower ball joints. If i'm going to tear it all down I'm only doing it once.

What do you guys think it is??

Last edited by 08Coupe6/6; 01-24-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Accord Coupe V6, 6 Speed Major Wobble

No upper ball joints/control arms
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Trial User

I dealt with this some time ago, the CV joint on my passenger side axle was toast. The car was noisy at all speeds but particularly bad under hard acceleration. I replaced the axle and all is good.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK All, everything has gone wrong haha.

Yesterday I replaced both front hubs and wheel bearings, tie rods inner and outer and ball joints. It has improved my handling but the wobble is still there.

I also damaged the ABS sensor in the right wheel (or the encoder ring is damaged on the hub, the orientation is correct) and now have to fix this too. I have ordered a sensor, and if this doesn't work I will have to order another hub.

Regardless, the wobble is still present. Any ideas? My buddy who worked with me suggested rotors, but it doesn't wobble when braking, only driving and they're only 6 months old!

I am going to the Honda dealer on Wed to have a four wheel alignment and i'm going to have all four tires dismounted, remounted and balanced again on another Hunter road force machine. This is driving me crazy!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 08Coupe6/6
OK All, everything has gone wrong haha.

Yesterday I replaced both front hubs and wheel bearings, tie rods inner and outer and ball joints. It has improved my handling but the wobble is still there.

I also damaged the ABS sensor in the right wheel (or the encoder ring is damaged on the hub, the orientation is correct) and now have to fix this too. I have ordered a sensor, and if this doesn't work I will have to order another hub.

Regardless, the wobble is still present. Any ideas? My buddy who worked with me suggested rotors, but it doesn't wobble when braking, only driving and they're only 6 months old!

I am going to the Honda dealer on Wed to have a four wheel alignment and i'm going to have all four tires dismounted, remounted and balanced again on another Hunter road force machine. This is driving me crazy!
So in summary the following has been replaced:

Six aftermarket wheels
4 OEM wheels
8 brand new BFG Comp 2 a/s tires
Left and right inner tie rods (OEM)
Left and right outer tie rods (OEM)
Left and right ball joints (OEM)
Front right and left hubs and bearings (OEM)
Three 4 wheel balance jobs (regular)

None of this has affected my violent steering wheel wobble past 55mph!

I just ordered new hub centric rings and am going to Honda dealer tmrw to do another alignment and road force balancing and remount if all four tires.

Help!!

Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi All,

Last night after posting I replaced my front rotors and rotated the tires (front to back, as they're directional).

It made ZERO difference, shake is still in the front end and steering wheel.

Anyone have ideas? I am thinking maybe axles as suggested by 8thV6-6
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I am doubting balancing because you can usually get past that point. I drove up to 100mph yesterday and the shaking gets progressively worse the faster you go with no relief.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

New OEM axles installed, did not make any difference. The shaking is the same at the same speeds!

I have literally done the whole front end, any other ideas?

Doing the upper control arms and ball joints now....

OEM Axles ordered. Will update when installed, probably be a week or two.

Anyone else on this forum lol?

Last edited by 08Coupe6/6; 02-24-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar problem. Replaced a wheel bearing, rotated and balanced tires twice, and still have wobble starting at about 35MPH. I also broke my ABS sensor and now have ABS and TCS warning lights on.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Trial User

Hi guys. I am on the other side of the world in South Africa. I have a 2009 Honda toruer. I am having the same problem the wobble starts at 110kmh or 70mph but then goes away when you hit 120kmh 80mph I have rotated and balanced the wheels done alignment changed break discs. Did any of you manage to sort your problem out?

Thanks