Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   2007 Accord - transmission problems after starter repair (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/2007-accord-transmission-problems-after-starter-repair-3328167/)

jrotering 09-30-2018 03:26 PM

2007 Accord - transmission problems after starter repair

I have a 2007 Accord 4 cylinder VP package. Yesterday morning it wouldn't start; one click no turning over. I determined it was the starter and probably against my better wisdom I attempted the fix myself w/ youtube videos. I was finally able to get the new starter in place this morning, put everything back together, and it starts great but I seem to have messed something up with the transmission. The engine runs super loud, it kicks hard when you put it in reverse, and it drives but doesn't seem to want to shift gears. I drove it a very short distance and back to my driveway.

I went back and replaced the gasket for the intake manifold, which I hadn't done at first. That doesn't seem to have helped the transmission issue.

The one thing I can visibly see that I messed up with the repair is that a couple wires came out of a wire harness where the big black plastic pipe coming from the air filter connects to on the other end near the engine. Probably happened from shoving the intake manifold up & over to get it out of my way without having disconnected things on the right side. I will post a picture of the wires after I post this.

I'm hoping I didn't somehow mess up something big time with my transmission and that this is just some sort of sensor issue. If anyone can point me in the right direction or suggest what to check next I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

jrotering 09-30-2018 03:38 PM

Re: 2007 Accord - transmission problems after starter repair

tech8 09-30-2018 04:36 PM

The car has a drive-by-wire throttle control system. The broken harness connector wires are for the throttle position/throttle actuator.

The problems are probably related to the wiring.

DIYDom 02-04-2021 08:30 AM

2006 Accord EX 2.4

Similar thing going on with my Accord right now! After replacing the starter (which is working great btw) tranny kicks a little when put in Drive and kicks harder when put in Reverse. Got NO power at all when trying to accelerate from a complete stop. As I’m driving, it won’t shift gears, almost as if it’s stuck in 2nd gear or something.

During the install, the only issue (that I created) was when my hand slipped while holding the plenum/manifold, and the single red wire going to the knock sensor was ripped out of the harness connector. I spliced on a new pigtail, but the tranny issues haven’t changed.
I got ahold of my go-to mechanic to schedule bringing it to him, but after describing the symptoms, he thinks that it’s possible the transmission needs to be reprogrammed and recommended a shop (because he doesn’t do tranny work). Seemed odd that, that could happen, but he’s the mechanic, not me. *shrug
Other than that, I double double checked that all hoses and wiring was plugged back in. Granted after seeing the OP on this thread, I may have to check if any other wiring got pulled out of a harness.

Did the OP ever solve his issue? Are there any other possible causes? A friend of mine thought it might be possible that there is a connector underneath the starter location that may have taken a hit; because when I was getting the old one out, it was stuck in place and had to tap it with a hammer to break it free and it fell down on top of whatever’s beneath it.