Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2007 Accord 2.4 SE (hit puddle) cranks but wont start

Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 2007 Accord 2.4 SE (hit puddle) cranks but wont start

Automatic with 56,000 miles like mint condition.

Drove through a big puddle not knowing how deep it was but it was deep enough to reach my exhaust opening and possibly the OEM intake. Car stalled then was later pushed out of puddle after water receded and car towed. Unfortunately, I'm very poor these days and only have liability insurance. An y help would deeply appreciated.

Here is everything Ive done and the situation in general.

1. I replaced the Air filter and Spark plugs. Does not seem like any water got into the intake. The air filter may have dried out a bit but its probable some water got through and into the intake passing the MAF sensor, so the plugs and filter looked good and there was no water in the engine considering the plugs were pulled and engine turned over and no water was found.

2. Checked compression and its perfect, 170 in each cylinder.

3. Fuel pump works fine and is delivering fuel, injectors were tested, pulse properly and fuel sample is perfect.

4. No codes and alarm system is working properly. Key icon when key turned on dash goes out as does engine light..when cranking .,System works as it should.

5. All fuses tested with test light and all good.

6. Car cranks as it should and spits, almost diesels to the point of running..I even pulled the plugs twice and shot a bit of oil in each hole, cranked a bit then replaced the plugs after cleaning them and cranked again.. What i get is a bit of smoke coughing hard out of the exhaust........the car seems so close to starting, almost as if some water has found itself in the CAT converter or exhaust and is preventing it from running...i would be so grateful for any advice or clue where to go from here ........thanks....

Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2007 Accord 2.4 SE (hit puddle) cranks but wont start

Nothing beyond the head out the exhaust will cause it not to fire unless it is plugged, which is doubtful based on what you describe.

Have you tried pressing the throttle while cranking it a bit, to get the throttle body to let more air in?? I know that goes against the grain of a fuel injected motor for starting, but at this point you may be a little flooded from cranking, and that extra air in the chamber will mix with the gas to get to a more proper air/fuel ratio. Now don't bury it to the floor and hold it, half throttle maybe, then stay on it when it starts to fire, and she just might come back to life......
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
Nothing beyond the head out the exhaust will cause it not to fire unless it is plugged, which is doubtful based on what you describe.

Have you tried pressing the throttle while cranking it a bit, to get the throttle body to let more air in?? I know that goes against the grain of a fuel injected motor for starting, but at this point you may be a little flooded from cranking, and that extra air in the chamber will mix with the gas to get to a more proper air/fuel ratio. Now don't bury it to the floor and hold it, half throttle maybe, then stay on it when it starts to fire, and she just might come back to life......
Yes, I already tried that and also today I tried disconnecting the MAF sensor and trying to start because I was told disconnecting it would set the ECU to a richer mixture mode that would provide a starting condition if the MAF sensor was faulty. Unfortunately that did not work either, the car still wont start
Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'm not sure what other road to send you down. When you say almost diesels to the point of running, does that mean you are getting an occasional fire in the cylinders?? .
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
Well, I'm not sure what other road to send you down. When you say almost diesels to the point of running, does that mean you are getting an occasional fire in the cylinders?? .
yes..

everything and I mean everything I can think of so far to start car works, including the basic elements to run:

1. battery power to starter to crank over the engine starter/solenoid

2. injector pulse- voltage reference from ecm to injector(s)

3. fuel (ecm sends voltage reference via relay to fuel pump)

4. no codes.

Also, Normally, the "check engine" light should come on for two seconds then turn off automatically when the ignition switch is switch to on. My car does that as does every car with a normal operating ECM.

I'm stumped, my mechanic is off today but Im going to pull the ECM out and inspect it internally for any water damage or corrosion, continue to trouble shoot from board suggestions, then wait for my mechanic to borrow the major scan tool.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure sounds like something is wet then......