Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2006 Honda Accord V6, 72k miles, timing belt, water pump, tensioner

Old 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Trial User

Default 2006 Honda Accord V6, 72k miles, timing belt, water pump, tensioner

I have a 2006 Accord V6, approaching 72k miles. Obviously the car hasn't been driven much, but its been aging. Car is running good, except for chirping/whistling sound near the tensioner.

As preventative maintenance, do you recommend, I get any of the following (all of these have never been done before):

1. Timing belt
2. New water pump
3. Tensioner pully replacement

If I get all three of these done at the same time, will there be any labor savings?

What is a good price range for getting all three of these done -- at a local independent, trustworthy mechanic?

Currently, our Honda dealer is running a special for Timing Belt replacement for $400. I'm wondering how many additional hours on top of Timing Belt, does replacing the water pump and tensioner pully, require.

Anything else I should be doing while they are going in there?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Honda Accord V6, 72k miles, timing belt, water pump, tensioner

Originally Posted by xemi View Post
I have a 2006 Accord V6, approaching 72k miles. Obviously the car hasn't been driven much, but its been aging. Car is running good, except for chirping/whistling sound near the tensioner.

As preventative maintenance, do you recommend, I get any of the following (all of these have never been done before):

1. Timing belt
2. New water pump
3. Tensioner pully replacement

If I get all three of these done at the same time, will there be any labor savings?
Yes get all 3 done. The labor savings will come in the form of having all 3 done at the same time as opposed to going back in repeatedly for each component.

What is a good price range for getting all three of these done -- at a local independent, trustworthy mechanic?
Depends on your area. Google or Yelp will help locating a mechanic.

Repair Pal is fairly reliable for average prices in your area.

Currently, our Honda dealer is running a special for Timing Belt replacement for $400. I'm wondering how many additional hours on top of Timing Belt, does replacing the water pump and tensioner pully, require.

Anything else I should be doing while they are going in there?
That price is outstanding, shouldn't be more than $300 for the remaining components. Have both cam and crankshaft seals done as well. ASK for the old seals during the transaction. . Dealer mechanics have a bad habit of not replacing them and there is no way for you to check unless you tear into the vehicle yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: