Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2006 Accord V6 suspension noise after strut assy replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Accord V6 suspension noise after strut assy replacement

Was wondering if you fine people could help me. I have a 2006 Accord V6 with 232,000 miles on it, that is making a noise from the passenger side front wheel. You can hear any little bump of imperfection in the road. And on bigger bumps, it's obviously louder. I can only explain it as a "tight thud". Very frustrating. Here is what I've done to the Accord so far.
Summer of 2015 replaced inner and outer tie rods (Honda OEM) and stabilizer bar links (moog)
This past summer replaced upper control arm, lower ball joint (Honda OEM), and lower control arms (Moog).

After his car was sounding and handling very well. It did have over 220,000 on it at the time, so I figured I should go ahead and replace the strut assemblies. So, that's what I did. I replaced both strut assemblies in the fall with Honda OEM. Since then, I get a decent thud going over average and larger bumps in the road. And I also hear noise going over the smallest blemish in the road. I have taken off my wheel a few times to check and re-check looking for any loose nuts of bolts and everything is nice and tight. The noise didn't start till I replaced the strut assemblies, so I'm guessing it's something to do with that. But, as I said, they were new Honda OEM strut assemblies (checked to make sure correct part numbers for each side) and everything is securely in place. What in the world can be making this noise. I don't even want to drive the car anymore as I cringe every time I hear it. Thanks for any help
Old 01-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Accord V6 suspension noise after strut assy replacement

The stabilizer bar bushings can cause noise over bumps that is very similar to a worn out end link. The bushings are cheap and typically pretty easy to replace. That's where I would probably start. I always recommend them with the end links.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TyGuy88
The stabilizer bar bushings can cause noise over bumps that is very similar to a worn out end link. The bushings are cheap and typically pretty easy to replace. That's where I would probably start. I always recommend them with the end links.
Thanks for the reply. The bushing on this model do not appear easy (at least to me) to replace. The screws to hold the bushing brackets screw in from the top, not the bottom witch is more accessible. And the rear screw on for each bushing is nearly impossible to access. Otherwise, yes, I would have tried that. Having said that, I just don't think it's the bushing. It doesn't sound at all like that's what it would be. Also, since the noise started immediately after the strut assy replacement, I still have to think it's something with that.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you replaced the struts, were any of the other parts replaced - strut mounts?

Then just me, in one post you say the end links were replaced but then you say replacing them doesn't look easy? Are we getting the end link(s) and the bar bushings confused
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looked to me from the first post that the entire strut assembly (quick struts as my parts guys like to call them) were replaced.

As a side note on the top mounted bar bushings, they can be replaced without dropping the cradle. The front bolt isn't bad but, as you pointed out, the rear bolt is tricky. I generally use a combination of regular box end wrenches and sockets of varied length. Some models have just enough room to sneak a good quality wobble in just to break it loose with an impact and then follow up with a ratcheting wrench if you have one. I always start with the rear so that the front bolt holds everything in place and the rear bolt can come out without getting pinched. PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench are definitely your friends on this job.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
When you replaced the struts, were any of the other parts replaced - strut mounts?

Then just me, in one post you say the end links were replaced but then you say replacing them doesn't look easy? Are we getting the end link(s) and the bar bushings confused

Yes, just as TyGuy88 said, they were complete strut assemblies, also commonly referred to as quick struts. I think Monroe actually calls theirs "Quick Strut", that's why I didn't want to imply that I installed Monroe's since they were Honda Strut assemblies.
Also, I did replace the end links. However, I did not replace the sway bar BUSHINGS. Those are what I said are hard to get to. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to close the loop here, I figured out what the issue was. It turned out to be the passenger side motor mount was bad. I changed the strut assemblies in part because I would hear a slight noise every once in a while. After changing, I heard everything. So, I don't know if this was because the new stiffer struts and springs made the sound much more detectable or what. In hindsight, I should have guessed the motor mount was bad.

I was watching an Eric the Car Guy video on diagnosing suspension noises. He was driving around and the noise he was hearing was the same noise as I was hearing. And, in the video, it ended up being motor mount as well.
I bought an OEM Honda motor mount from hondaautomotiveparts.com and installed. It was very easy for the side motor mount. Took about 30 minutes, but I was really taking my time and making sure all was done right. If I had to do all over again, it would be about 15 minutes. I'm pretty sure my front motor mount is bad as well. That looks a bit harder, but that's another story. As of right now, I replaced the side motor mount and no more noises!
On a side note, after looking up motor mount symptoms, I did have some of those symptoms that I had no idea would be caused by a motor mount. So, check your motor mounts!