Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   2005 LX radio needs to be replaced (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/2005-lx-radio-needs-replaced-2884936/)

SlavaD 01-14-2011 03:23 PM

2005 LX radio needs to be replaced

Hey guys,

I have 96k on my Accord, and the stock radio (1 CD/FM) needs to be replaced. It likes to randomly turn on and off after the car is off, the key is out of the ignition, and the doors looked. The radio and the lights in the center console flash for a while. I am worried that this will kill my battery eventually.
The dealer here was very helpful and explained the entire situation to me, saying that there is a short in the radio and it needs to be replaced. They quoted $700 for the radio, and 1 hour of labor. Unfortunately, I did not qualify for the service bulletin.

$800 or so is a little steep for a radio that doesn't come with anything but a CD changer and an AM/FM radio. They also mentioned that I could put an aftermarket radio in the car below where that storage compartment is, but they won't do that for obvious reasons. I don't even know where to begin with that, but do know people that are good at putting in aftermarket systems and I will ask them.

My question is whether the stock stereo is tied in the with the climate control system in the car and how would this work if you have to disable the power to stock unit because it has an internal problem?

Anybody in a similar situation? Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Targa250R 01-14-2011 03:46 PM

Re: 2005 LX radio needs to be replaced

Why not just buy a used LX radio/HVAC unit from a salvage yard and install that?

redbull-1 01-14-2011 03:57 PM

Here are some options.

1. An aftermarket radio can go in where the current radio is. You just need to get the kit. See this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/different-radio-dash-05-accord-2498760/

2. You can try to fix your OEM radio by replacing the circuit board from aftermarket electronic parts dealers or the Honda dealer. In this link, some people replaced a resistor on the board. I do not recommend just adding a wire or solder to jump or bridge the circuit, as that can cause more damage. In the same link, see the TSB for the circuit board number applicable to your car, then google search the part number for aftermarket distributors.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9540

3. You can get an OEM one from a salvage yard; but, you will need the code. Or take the circuit board from it and replace in your original one.

redbull-1 01-14-2011 04:11 PM

If you LX is a 4 cylinder, the circuit board part number may be 3917A-SDA-L11RM. Majestic Honda sells it for $64.75.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+---

Targa250R 01-14-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 44428733)
1. An aftermarket radio can go in where the current radio is. You just need to get the kit. See this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2498760

I've seen and used a few of those in person and the quality is horrendously bad. If I personally were going aftermarket, I'd unplug the OE radio, leave it in the dash, and use the OE Honda accessory kit to install a head unit in place of the center console storage box.

A reman circuit board from Majestic (or any other dealer) is probably the best option though.

SlavaD 01-16-2011 04:16 PM

Well I did find a stereo in a junkyard not too far from my house. They want $105 for it, which is much better than $700. It's a bit of a gamble I guess, as all these units have this problem from what I understand.

redbull-1 01-16-2011 04:34 PM

Did the salvage yard have the radio code? Otherwise, you might want to bring the actual unit into a Honda dealership to get the radio code first. That way you can explain it came from a salvage yard, so they know it is not stolen, etc. If you just called Honda or the dealership, without the car VIN and proof of car ownership, they may not give you the code.

sncobra331 01-19-2011 12:18 PM

I'm surprised the dealership even has "new" audio units available. Honda
tells us to take the radios out and send them back to the manufacture (clarion, Komtec, Etc) and have them repair it. The companies usually charge around $160-$200 to repair it and whatever the dealership charges to remove
and install it.

Edit: I now see that you purhchased a used audio unit...

frogvtech 02-15-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SlavaD (Post 44428534)
Hey guys,

I have 96k on my Accord, and the stock radio (1 CD/FM) needs to be replaced. It likes to randomly turn on and off after the car is off, the key is out of the ignition, and the doors looked. The radio and the lights in the center console flash for a while. I am worried that this will kill my battery eventually.
The dealer here was very helpful and explained the entire situation to me, saying that there is a short in the radio and it needs to be replaced. They quoted $700 for the radio, and 1 hour of labor. Unfortunately, I did not qualify for the service bulletin.

$800 or so is a little steep for a radio that doesn't come with anything but a CD changer and an AM/FM radio. They also mentioned that I could put an aftermarket radio in the car below where that storage compartment is, but they won't do that for obvious reasons. I don't even know where to begin with that, but do know people that are good at putting in aftermarket systems and I will ask them.

My question is whether the stock stereo is tied in the with the climate control system in the car and how would this work if you have to disable the power to stock unit because it has an internal problem?

Anybody in a similar situation? Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Hello OP,

Did you resolve this? And can you please share some advice?

I have the same car and same trim model. To my understanding, there is no need for a code? I have never been prompted for any codes before, even after battery changes.

I'm currently experiencing issues w/ my unit as well. The CD function doesn't work and a disc is trapped inside. The radio unit works after resetting the battery, but only does so for a bit before shutting off completely. Recently, the green light CD indicator stays on while the car is OFF. I'm afraid it'll drain my battery over time and I don't want to reset my battery every single time.
I was advised to change to an aftermarket CD unit w/ a dash kit.

Anybody with any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy, just something close to OEM. The Metra Dash Kit seems to be the only thing compatible.

Thanks.