Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/)
-   -   2005 honda Accord 2.4l motor starter bolt (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/2005-honda-accord-2-4l-motor-starter-bolt-3333117/)

cool_io85 01-26-2019 06:02 PM

2005 honda Accord 2.4l motor starter bolt

My lower, thicker and shorter motor starter bolt (17mm head) broke inside the engine block while trying to unbolt it to replace the starter.
Now, besides the fact that I will need to extract the bolt, I also need a new one. Can someone tell me what are the exact dimensions of the bolt or the part number?

tech8 01-26-2019 09:34 PM

Re: 2005 honda Accord 2.4l motor starter bolt

Honda Part No.: 95701-12085-08

Bolt, Flange (12X85)

cool_io85 01-27-2019 06:27 AM

Thank you!

Tonezzmelodiess 12-15-2021 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by cool_io85 (Post 51844013)
My lower, thicker and shorter motor starter bolt (17mm head) broke inside the engine block while trying to unbolt it to replace the starter.
Now, besides the fact that I will need to extract the bolt, I also need a new one. Can someone tell me what are the exact dimensions of the bolt or the part number?

How did you EXTRACT it ?

cool_io85 12-16-2021 04:27 AM

I couldn't extract it at all. I ended up drilling through it and then tapped it to the next bolt size. I think I used 1/2" bolt with coarse thread.
Not the most fun thing to do, but it worked out in the end.

dac018 03-27-2022 10:24 PM

Hi, Im sorry you had to go through all that but glad you got it going. I recently discovered i need to replace my starter as well. It sometimes turns over after many cranks. Sounds weak/slow tyrning over. Sometimes just a click, sometimes nothing. Best results when i have all the electronics off( radio, ac, lights, etc..). Took to orielys and was told bad battery. After wire brushing all connections, and replacing battery same ol s***. Took back now it says bad starter. I removed negative cable from battery post and it died. So now im at replacing the starter.My question is, how common is it to break that 17mm bolt? Ive read quite a few posts about that same bolt breaking while replacing the starter. Im not talking shit by any means but did you by chance cross thread it and kept going? I know the bolt is going into an alluminum body, maybe the threads gaulded and the bolt siezed? Spraying kroil or wd40 wouldnt mess with the electrial system in the starter any way right? Not bathing the entire starter in it, just the head of the bolt?Again, that sux u went through all that and im not questioning your skills as a mechanic, just asking. Tryna avoid that situation if at all possible! Thanks,Daniel

cool_io85 03-28-2022 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by dac018 (Post 52561767)
Hi, Im sorry you had to go through all that but glad you got it going. I recently discovered i need to replace my starter as well. It sometimes turns over after many cranks. Sounds weak/slow tyrning over. Sometimes just a click, sometimes nothing. Best results when i have all the electronics off( radio, ac, lights, etc..). Took to orielys and was told bad battery. After wire brushing all connections, and replacing battery same ol s***. Took back now it says bad starter. I removed negative cable from battery post and it died. So now im at replacing the starter.My question is, how common is it to break that 17mm bolt? Ive read quite a few posts about that same bolt breaking while replacing the starter. Im not talking shit by any means but did you by chance cross thread it and kept going? I know the bolt is going into an alluminum body, maybe the threads gaulded and the bolt siezed? Spraying kroil or wd40 wouldnt mess with the electrial system in the starter any way right? Not bathing the entire starter in it, just the head of the bolt?Again, that sux u went through all that and im not questioning your skills as a mechanic, just asking. Tryna avoid that situation if at all possible! Thanks,Daniel

It didn't break when I tighten it, but when I was trying to take the bolt out. It's possible whoever put it in, to cross threaded it. Regarding the bolt being seized, I doubt, but wouldn't be excluded. Spraying WD40 (carefully) cannot hurt. Good luck!