Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Transmission failure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 2003 Transmission failure...

I have 96k on a my '03 Accord EX. It has been very well maintained and Friday the transmission died. I'm passed my 72k extended warranty and the dealer is telling me "tough".

I paid $34k for loaded car that touts not even needing it's first tune up until 105k and my transmission fails at 96k and this is the response I get?

Anyone have any suggestions. Believe me I'm all ears. I haven't worked since May and I'm not exactly in a position to come up $3k for something like this.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing you have an automatic?

This is exactly what an extended (aftermarket) warranty is for. Especially if you have an automatic. It seems to me that the life expetency of automatics is shorter and shorter. I read threads like this everyday for all sorts of different car manufacturers, although I will say that Honda makes notoriously weak auto-trans!

Have you seen the inside of an automatic? Most of them nowadays can't even be overhauled. Half the innerds are plastic.

I realize that it's not for everybody - but if I were to ever buy a brand new car, it would most certainly be a standard trans. Much more reliable over the long-term.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Contact Honda Directly... 1-800-999-1009. They can tell you where you can go from there. I thougt the warranty was extended to 100K but I guess that's not true. If you took your car to the dealer for services, that would help your case, if pehraps they didn't perform all the maintenance required (such as changing the trans fluid) maybe Honda will hold them to fixing the transmission. At the very least, you might get honda to good will the parts and you pay the labor. That's what happend with my mom's 98. She paid around 1,300 for a rebuilt transmission from the Honda dealer. From day one she got the car it never shifted as well as it did once it had the remanufactured transmission. She had 92,000 miles on it at the time. And it was NOT part of the transmission extended coverage. So again I was very impressed that they did anything at all. It's not like it was a new car.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 PM

i would think that using a scan tool that reads live data and watching the voltages on the throttle position sensors and the sensors on the accelerator pedal assembly would be the first things to look at..
Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As kisses says that is something to look at, I had pretty much convinced myself that it was the TPS but it wasn't. Wishful thinking. Unfortunately Honda didn't do a very good job with it's transmissions.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BoogShell
I have 96k on a my '03 Accord EX. It has been very well maintained and Friday the transmission died. I'm passed my 72k extended warranty and the dealer is telling me "tough".

I paid $34k for loaded car that touts not even needing it's first tune up until 105k and my transmission fails at 96k and this is the response I get?

Anyone have any suggestions. Believe me I'm all ears. I haven't worked since May and I'm not exactly in a position to come up $3k for something like this.
If you can show records of your transmission being service per Honda maintance you could call honda to get some or all of it covered. How do you define well maintaned, to some people just changing oil every 3k counts as well maintained. I havent seen your car but most of the 03-up accords I do see with bad transmissions are because they were not maintained.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Icon3 What I mean by maintenance

DISCLOSURE: Nothing that appears "venomous" in this statement is aimed at anyone here. I realize all your queries are of an honest and helping nature. I'm simply so hot at this dealership that sometimes I can't be contained. My apologies in advance.

I understand that they are more inclined to back up their own work. I'm the same in my business. However, they are trained mechanics and service people. They can tell when a car has been maintained and when it hasn't. A few years ago the radio in this car died. Didn't just go "dark" as several others have reported. It died. I took it to this same dealer...my dealer...where I purchased this exact vehicle. They said, "Well, your warranty was for 36,000 miles and your extended warranty doesn't cover electronics so there's nothing we can do." Total cost to replace the radio, $1,127. Guess how many miles I had on the car? 37,200. Only after calling Honda of America did I get any satisfaction. They agent I spoke with there said, "This is a known issue and the dealer should be aware of that. Considering how close you are to your warranty mileage it should have been a non-issue. Take it back to them and we'll handle everything." When I returned they treated me like a un-wanted step child. I've never gone to them for service since that day.

So, "the problem" in Honda eyes is that their technicians are not the ones regularly servicing my car.

However, the mechanic that I use is a former Honda ASE certified mechanic, who has opened his own shop. The tranny in question has been serviced every 30,000 miles by him, using Honda transmission fluid. In fact, I was going to take it in this week when we got back from our short little jaunt upstate for the weekend for it's 3rd service.

Other than that, yes I change the oil, oil filter, air filter, etc regularly...actually every 2,500 because I live in NYC. I rotate tires, I have brakes and CV boots/joints checked, etc. I also recently had the radiator flushed and filled. I'm paranoid about fluid levels and such, especially in the stop/go environment we drive in around here.

I consider it simply arrogance on their part. I've kept every maintenance record since I bought the car and can document everything that has been done. I guess the Honda Stealer-ship has some special torque wrench or something that no one else possesses.