Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 coup headlight electrical odd behavior

Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 PM
JAD
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 coup headlight electrical odd behavior

Hi, and thanks for running this site,
There has been many threads about low and high beam problems and in searching I haven't found this exact problem. This accord had a botched HID fit. After buying it I have started to return to OEM light system. After replacing the headlight loom and hooking up the lamps I find I have high beams and low beams ONLY when I turn on the High beams. If I just use the low beam settings I have the Turn signal/ driving lights (I am assuming that is what they are) but no low beams. The fuses to the Left and Right low beams are dead. When I use high beam setting there is power to low AND high beam fuses. This is my first accord and I have looked at others but I never have seen/noticed Hi and Lo beams on together. Am I correct about this? I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad control module in the fuse block. I can hear a definite 'click' for high beams, but a very faint click for the lows. Again even after the 'click' on low beam setting, no power to corresponding fuses. I checked continuity from the stalk switch on column. There seems to be no problem there. No cross over from high to low beam terminals. Its seems to happen At or AFTER fuse block under hood. The loom has been replaced from the engine compartment connector forward from an exact model and year. I did this because the moron that had the car cut the crap out of the connectors for the OEM lamps. Any thoughts, or agreement on my conclusion? Thanks for your time.

Last edited by JAD; 08-14-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 PM
JAD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 coup headlight electrical odd behavior

Sorry forgot to give stats on car:
2003 Accord,
Coup
Rebuilt 3.0L 300hp w/Modified Fuel Injection System
w/ Rebuilt Auto Trans w/stall convertor
Black on Black Leather and all the whistles,

Other than this electrical problem and a few dings, its a nice car. Did most of the main work myself except the trans, not good with autos, Synchrotech did this one.
If I knew Honda electrical systems better This would probably be a no brainer question, but we all have our weaknesses, this one is mine, well this and a-matics.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 PM
JAD
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so after reading many informational pages I found the definitive answer to the hi and lo beams on at the same time. They have had this functionality since 1990 or so. I just never noticed it as I don't make it a habit of staring into the headlights of vehicles. So, my problem hasn't changed however. If I have checked the headlamp switch, checked the fuses, checked the bulbs, found no power to the low beam fuses for either side, replaced the headlight loom with a known working loom from an identical model, is there anything else in the circuit other than the headlamp control module in the fuse block? I have a hard time believing that Honda would put a non-serviceable relay system in a circuit so necessary to drivability... I cannot find a test procedure for this module either. Its not discussed in my service manual.. not a full service manuscript however. Any Ideas about how to test, or a foolproof way of making sure that I am not throwing money at a problem. Not my way of doing things, so I defer to others more experienced.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

1. Take off the steering wheel column cover.
2. Unplug Connector B (the 12 terminal connector).
3. Locate the terminal pin no. 2 (Blk/Red wire) and terminal pin no. 12 (Blk wire). Blk/Red wire refers to a wire with black colored insulation with a Red stripe running through it. Make sure you find the correct wires.
4. With a piece of spare wire, jump terminal pin no. 2 to terminal pin no. 12. Does the low beam headlights turn on?
  • If they do turn on, then it is probably a faulty combination light switch.
  • If they do not turn on, then the issue is further down the circuit.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
JAD
Honda-Tech Member

Hello tech8,
Thanks for your response and detailed image. It turns out that the switch is functioning correctly. However that led me down the circuit to the daytime sensor. That's where the problem is. I am deciding if I want to just bypass it or fix it. I jumped past it and the low beams are on now, Thank you very much. Look forward to conversing again sometime.