Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord V-6 Timing Belt Service

Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord V-6 Timing Belt Service

I just dropped my 2003 Accord off at the dealer today for the 105,000mi service and timing belt change (I have 104,861 mi). Because I drive the car long distances weekly, I elected to have the alternator replaced during this service. (I purchased the alternator from another Honda Dealer several months ago because they had one in stock). The original Service Tech quoted an additional .5 labor to install. I thought since they were doing the timing belt anyway and that the alternator would be at least partially removed that seemed a little high but I agreed. Now they call and tell me it's going to be 1.5 hour labor to put the new alternator on.
For those of you who have done the timing belt yourself or a honda mech who does it regularly, How much extra work is it to install a new alternator during the timing belt replacement?????????????????????????????????
Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 PM

well just because they are doing the t belt doesn't necessarily mean that the alternator just a simple job to replace. I believe to replace the alternator on an accord like yours, you may have to remove the radiator fan to have enough room to get it out..... I think.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wannakno)

1.5 is a complete and total rip-off. IIRC the job only pays 1.3 by itself. I asked 3 techs about it while looking at a 2003 V6 and they all said half and hour would be fair but 1.5 is sticking it to you with no lube.

EDIT: I work at a dealership.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wannakno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well just because they are doing the t belt doesn't necessarily mean that the alternator just a simple job to replace. I believe to replace the alternator on an accord like yours, you may have to remove the radiator fan to have enough room to get it out..... I think. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Correct. The only common thing between a timing belt replace and an alternator is removing the serpentine belt, which literally takes 5 seconds. 1.5 is about right for an alternator. You can nickel and dime them to 1.3 to save you what? $20 in labor? And you supplied your own alternator? So Parts can't make money?
And how is 1.3 fair while 1.5 is a ripoff? You're in it for $750 and $20 is a ripoff?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord V-6 Timing Belt Service (bracer)

It has nothing to do with how long it actially takes, but rather now long the job is "supposed" to take. My brother is a tech at a Ford dealer and had to put a new V10 in a mobile home. The job paid 73 hours-yes, 73 hours. He did it in 38. Talk about crushing the customer...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord V-6 Timing Belt Service (wellinghurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wellinghurst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It has nothing to do with how long it actially takes, but rather now long the job is "supposed" to take. My brother is a tech at a Ford dealer and had to put a new V10 in a mobile home. The job paid 73 hours-yes, 73 hours. He did it in 38. Talk about crushing the customer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No thats called being a good tech, most techs dont get flat salaries like most people we have to actually work for our money. Also 1.5 for an Alt is normal on a V6 and you dont touch the Alt during a tbelt service. .5 for an alt. I highly doubt you were talking to techs not when you have to remove the rad fan to make clearance. I say if you dont like the price then do it yourself but when you put a hole in your rad. dont cry about it.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (someone else)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someone else &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.5 is a complete and total rip-off. IIRC the job only pays 1.3 by itself. I asked 3 techs about it while looking at a 2003 V6 and they all said half and hour would be fair but 1.5 is sticking it to you with no lube.

EDIT: I work at a dealership.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not trying to flame you. but if you can find someone to do it for half an hour of labor, then more power to you.

it is actually about an hour to an hour and a half of labor depending on if you run into seized bolts or what not.
on top of all that peope think that all techs are just out to rob you when it comes to getting your car serviced, flat rate time is not what it used to be for techs. But in reality its just like when you goto see a doctor and you may only see him for 10 mins but he still charges you the whole $x amount for the visit. Some lawyers charge somewhere around $60 just for an e mail and $100-$200 an hour for their services.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MustangLX6.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No thats called being a good tech, most techs dont get flat salaries like most people we have to actually work for our money. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

mustangLX is right, our work is very tiring, not to mention that we spend an outragous amount on tools to get the job done faster.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord V-6 Timing Belt Service (MustangLX6.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MustangLX6.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No thats called being a good tech, most techs dont get flat salaries like most people we have to actually work for our money. Also 1.5 for an Alt is normal on a V6 and you dont touch the Alt during a tbelt service. .5 for an alt. I highly doubt you were talking to techs not when you have to remove the rad fan to make clearance. I say if you dont like the price then do it yourself but when you put a hole in your rad. dont cry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I was saying is thats good for him, but he's obviously not the one charging the customer. The customer paid for 73 hours labor regardless of how many hours it actaully took. The bill was just shy of $9000 total for a used motor installed. I guess when you have a $200,000 camper it's not too big of a deal, but customers will always get the raw end of that deal. Customers pay with it's supposed to take, not what it actually takes.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wannakno &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not trying to flame you. but if you can find someone to do it for half an hour of labor, then more power to you.

it is actually about an hour to an hour and a half of labor depending on if you run into seized bolts or what not.
on top of all that peope think that all techs are just out to rob you when it comes to getting your car serviced, flat rate time is not what it used to be for techs. But in reality its just like when you goto see a doctor and you may only see him for 10 mins but he still charges you the whole $x amount for the visit. Some lawyers charge somewhere around $60 just for an e mail and $100-$200 an hour for their services.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to explain flat rate to me. I've been dealing with flat rate for a long time.

I asked 3 techs with a combined total of about 35 years working for Honda if .5 would be unreasonable labor time for doing the alternator while doing the timing belt and they all said that was entirely reasonable.

Of course I also work in an area where we have to be extremely competetive with the local independent shops. So to me if quoting the customer .5 instead of 1.5 is going to get me a t-belt job I'll take it and so would the techs in my shop.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (someone else)

Im sure there are good independent shops out there and that they charge less but beware when you think your getting a deal when you take it to a work on all cars shop. At the dealership I work at all to often people come in after having something done at an independent shop and they really mess up your car. Im not saying run to your local expensive dealership just do some homework before you ok work with somebody any good dealer will stand behind there techs work, most independent shops wont.

I understand competition but it shouldnt be a barter system. I would quote them warranty time which would be .9 anything less is taking money away from the tech.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (L8apex)

I tried to buy one from them but the didn't have one in stock. So I went online on bought one from another Honda Dealer. By the time I had it all said and done it cost more than if i bought one from the dealer