Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord door locks not working

My 2003 4-door Accord door locks are not working properly. The remote key will unlock the doors, but not lock them. Even when using the interior door lock button on the door the doors will not lock, but they will unlock. I can manually lock them with the key though. This is the case for all 4 doors.
Also when I open the drivers side door, the indicator light on the dash does not show the door as being open. I can open any of the other 3 doors and the indicator light turns on showing the door open on the dash. This is also an intermitant problem as the locks do work some days.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working (wraydp)

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Funny thing, my 2003 coupe does the exact same thing.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working (fuzzballcadillac)

Check the door switch. When you open the door you should see a switch that closes when ever the door is closed. Sometimes the switch breaks and then you can only unlock but not lock your doors.

note: all doors have a switch
Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 PM

I would bet on the drivers door lock actuator.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM

do you find that the power windows are weak?

My girlfriends accord had this issue. It started with 1 door lock not working then the window motor was incredibly weak. Found out it was the door actuator. Fixed the door lock issue and the window rolled fast again.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working (MustangLX6.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MustangLX6.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the door switch. When you open the door you should see a switch that closes when ever the door is closed. Sometimes the switch breaks and then you can only unlock but not lock your doors.

note: all doors have a switch</TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked what I believe is the door switch(white plastic lever that closes around the metal U-bar bolted on the car) and it did not appear broken. That would explain the idiot door light not coming on when the drivers side door is open. Am I looking at the right switch?

One response said it could be the door loack actuater. Could this cause all of the doors to not lock? How do you test the door lock actuater?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working (vapor40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vapor40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would bet on the drivers door lock actuator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd have to second that - same thing happened on the wife's '02 CR-V. After I replaced the actuator, it was good as new.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working

I seem to be having the same problem but slightly different if you guys can help out it would be great.

2003 accord ex v6 coupe
passenger side lock will not engage when press my alarm remote to lock or unlock, it will however roll the windows down if I hold the button down. The drivers side locks and unlocks just fine, any clue? is it just the actuator on the passenger side? if it is, can some one point me to a "how to replace" that particular unit without sacrificing a limb? TIA
Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
New User

Icon2 Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working

I just purchased a pre-owned 2003 Accord Coupe and am having the exact same issue as you, Ken. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm with the driver door lock actuator....
Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
New User

Icon2 Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working

Originally Posted by bryse68
i'm with the driver door lock actuator....
Even though it is the passenger side that isn't working??
Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
New User

Icon6 Re: 2003 Accord door locks not working

I'm having the same problem with my 2003 Accord V6: door won't lock with remote, or when **** is pushed down, or when rocker switch on driver's or passenger's door is pushed. Driver's door mechanically locks when key is turned in passenger's door, but doesn't lock the other doors as it should. But when I manually lock all doors, the alarm sets. All other functions of the remote work: doors unlock, windows roll down, trunk opens, panic button, etc. Oh, and no codes displayed on my PGM tester. I actually checked the driver's door actuator by following the Honda service manual by applying 12 volts and ground to the plug and it worked (it locked and unlocked). I guess it could be getting weak (it is 7 years old and used daily, after all), but I don't understand how the other doors wouldn't be locking if it was just the driver's door actuator. Do the other 3 doors rely on the driver's door actuator somehow? Anyone else experience this? On autopartswarehouse.com a new actuator goes for about $25, so I might just give that a shot. Also, can anyone reccomend a better online honda parts retailer? Any help is greatly appreciated! Also, I'll follow up how this turns out.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an actuator for $25 dollars is dirt cheap.....the lowest was prolly on majestichondaparts for about $35-40. I bought mine from a dealer...ahem, i mean stealership, and the **** was $85 but i didn't want to wait...fixed my door...everything works now. Good luck man.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having similar problems with my 2003 coupe V6, remote wont lock or unlock the doors, neither will the button from inside (both doors), im having to do it all manually with the key in the door, or press down on the lock itself. I've listened when pressing the lock button, the driver door doesnt make a sound, but the pass door does. So im replacing the lock actuator in the driver side today or tomorrow, whenever I get the part, I'll let yall know if it fixes my problems... Oh, I also have a slow driver side window too.. I noticed someone else mentioned that... But I'll keep you posted...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K, I replaced the Lock Actuator in the Driver door of my 2003 V6 coupe. Cost $30 for the part & $82 for the labor. Not bad. I'd rather pay the $82 than do it myself. I watched the guy do it, and I wouldn't say it's hard, but its more than I'm interested in doing. A key part of the install is the window track, loosen it or remove it, makes things much easier. But now the locks work great but window is still slow. It's worth the $100 to have my remote working again. Hope this helps anyone. Feel free to ask me if you need something.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
New User

I have a 2003 Accord coupe, the door locks haven't worked since I bought it in 2007. The door rocker switch nor the key fob. I've checked the batteries in ther remote and replaced them. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I can hear a noise under the dash which I believe to be the relay. Nothing works lock or unlock on the door rocker switch and the key fob also the trunk switch on the key fob dose not work. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those were most the problems I had before I replaced the 'Lock Actuator' on the driver door. I think the trunk still worked tho??
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RedHonda: spray some silicone lubricant into the window run channel and your windows will be like new. OP door switch.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if this helps anyone, i just bought an CM8 like red. i had the same problem. but in my case it's both actuators that are shot. i just replaced the driver side and it works as good as new but, the passenger side still doesn't want to lock.

WARNING TO NOoBS: take your time because you will break something. if you are a bitch take it to someone who has the proper tools to do this procedure. Use fresh screw drivers because i almost stripped the screws that hold the latch to the door. the old screws/ bolts that have to come out are: the three on the latch, the one holding the manual lock thingy sticking out the top of the door, and the 10 mm bolt holding the window track. i almost took out the whole outside handle lol. be careful with the rods and the plastic loop things that hold them in place.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Trial User

So it sounds like a lock acuator problem on my 03 V6 6MT coupe, but I'll explain mine anyway and see what you all think. In my case, it's the driver's door lock that is the problem. It will not unlock with the key fob or rocker switch on the door panel, but it will unlock and lock with the key in the door or by pulling up or pushing down the lock manually. If the driver's door is manually unlocked, then the fob will unlock or lock the passenger door, but not until the driver's has been unlocked. Same with the rocker switch on either door - it will only unlock or lock the passenger door if the driver's has been manually unlocked. Pushing down the driver's lock will lock both doors as will the key in the door and both will "arm" the alarm. The one thing that confuses me is that the driver's side doesn't seem to be completely "dead." I can see it move about 1/2mm (very tiny amount) when I try to unlock it with the fob or rocker the first time I try to unlock it if it is locked only. But it won't move at all down if it's unlocked or I've already tried unlocking it once with power assist.

Also, does anyone have instructions for the procedure if it is the actuator? - I'd like to do it myself and save $$ at the stealership.

Thanks for helping a noobie.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Trial User

The doors won't lock or unlock with remote or switch but the trunk will open in my 03 accord. It seems like the most common problem is the actuator. If that don't work anybody got anything else
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced my driver side actuator cause it some times would work then stop. After I fixed it, the passenger side did the same thing. Replaced it and its good as new.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Trial User

I have a 2003 Honda accord Lx> I can unlock all 4 doors with the remote and interior switch. I cannot lock with either the remote or the interior switch. I hear an audible
click when the doors unlock not even a little noise when you try and lock them. I have replaced the drivers side door actuator. Any Suggestions?? Thanks
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Trial User

It has bulletin about this problem at Honda that need to replace the MICU, just for coupe model

Originally Posted by moebiius
I seem to be having the same problem but slightly different if you guys can help out it would be great.

2003 accord ex v6 coupe
passenger side lock will not engage when press my alarm remote to lock or unlock, it will however roll the windows down if I hold the button down. The drivers side locks and unlocks just fine, any clue? is it just the actuator on the passenger side? if it is, can some one point me to a "how to replace" that particular unit without sacrificing a limb? TIA
Ken

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord door locks not working