Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord Coupe V6 Manual Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord Coupe V6 Manual Problems

hey guys i've had some luck visiting these forum in the past and was able to fix my accord before so i finally registered becausei need some more help.

1st problem is the my accord would not start this afternoon when i went to crank her up for work.

she did fine this AM but i came home for lunch and then needed to go back and she wouldn't even try to turnover.

i thought it was the battery but i've had dead batteries before and never had the car behave the way it did today.

today the dash lit up and all the dials went absolutely nuts when i tired to crank it, it made a terrible rapid clicking but didn't sound like it was trying to crank at all.

never had that happen before with a weak/dead battery but maybe the battery was just below the threshold for cranking and that was why.

2nd problem is the AC quit working a few months ago during the summer. I dealt with it because i was not ready to invest in a new vehicle and really didn't want to drop a ton of cash into the car. so this AM when i went to star the car the AC came on briefly for about 5 mins and then suddenly cut off again.

now mind you the AC/Heat has not worked in a good 3 months, the defogger doesn't even work. The panel on the radio works and i can adjust the controls but they don't have any effect at all. then suddenly this AM it decides to work very briefly and then cut off completely like before.

any help on these 2 issues would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord Coupe V6 Manual Problems

Are the battery terminals corroded? Is the main ground to the motor or the chassis corroded or cracking or fraying at the connection? Start there if you haven't.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The terminals were pretty corroded. I cleaned them up real good and then when trying to start it at least acted like it wanted to turn over. Got a jump in it and it started right up. Drove it around the neighborhood for about 20 mins because I didn't trust it and wanted to see if the battery would recharge.

Got it back home let it sit for a few minutes and went back to try and crank it back up and got nothing. So jumped it again with the intention of going to AAP for a new battery. As I was driving to the shop I noticed it was emitting a brief chirp/clicking sound from the steering column area. At first I thought it was my keys clicking together but then figured out it was definitely the car making the noise. Would happen at maybe 1 or 2 min interval and last for less than 2 seconds. Anyway it was getting dark so I went to turn on the lights and when I did the whole car shut off as I was driving. WTF!

Pulled over to the side of the road and waited a few mins with the car turned off. Tried to crank and got nothing but was close to a decline grade so I one legged it to get her moving and was able to pop the clutch and get her running. Auto shop was closed at this point, so I drove the 20 mins back home with no issue. Parked it. Let it sit. Tried to crank it and got nothing again.

So at this point still think its just a bad battery?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about the grounding cables/connections?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So did you replace the battery or not? What you are describing is pretty much the symptoms of a bad battery. When you get the battery, let them install it and check your charging system at the same time. Most auto parts stores will do a free install and check of your charging system. Let us know the results then.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've actually had a bad situation once with extremely corroded terminals in my 04.. I was flying down the parkway and went to turn my headlights on and apparently that was too much additional power for the terminals at the time because the car started bucking and flickering like crazy. I pulled over and clean the terminals and it was fine. They were really bad though I actually wound up replacing them. Don't know how they got that way