Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord ATS 2.4 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord ATS 2.4 Check Engine Light

I recently bought this car and the engine light came on while driving last week.
I looked up for readers and bought this reader "Android Torque ELM327 v2.1 Mini ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD-II OBD2 Protocols Auto Diagnostic Tool"

After a scan i found that the light is on due to o2sensor (P0141 o2sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I tried to clear the fault code and then switch off the engine but the engine light still on can someone help me on how to clear the fault code and also the location of o2 sensor or a guide how to replace.

Any help will be highly appreciated!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord ATS 2.4 Check Engine Light

Your secondary o2 sensor is in your catalytic convertor. You will need a o2 socket to remove it. The plug for it is under your front passenger seat. You will need to pull back the carpet to access the connector. Adjust the front passenger seat all the way forward and pull back on the carpet (its just a flap under the seat) and unplug the sensor. Use your o2 socket and loosen the sensor from the cat and then unscrew it by hand. Take off your plastic cover that covers the harness going into your floor board and any small brackets that hold it on. I usually pull the sensor up through the floor board but you can do it either way. Reinstall in reverse order. Torque specs for the o2 sensor is 33 ftlbs. My computer at work wont let me upload photos to my photobucket so Ill have to get on my phone and do it. Its a very easy replacement. You should be able to clear the code with the key on engine off. If it doesn't clear that way before you replace the sensor then you more than likely have an open in the circuit.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I just had to take a picture of the screen.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Squeegee for the quick reply..

I will go and check the autoshop for o2socket and sensor. One more thing can you tell me the procedure of clearing codes with or without scanner.

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not familiar with the bluetooth scanners but you should be able to clear the code from the device connected. Key on engine off, scan for the code, then once the code appears, clear it. Turn ignition off and back on to make sure it does not reappear, and be sure to drive the vehicle a few miles to make sure the code does not come back. After clearing the code the check engine light will be on for about 20 seconds and then blink. This is normal, just check your scanner and make sure the code isnt stored. Without a scan tool you should be able to disconnect the battery and wait about 15 minutes and it should clear. I bought my o2 socket from autozone. Better than paying $40 off the tool truck for it.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again squeegee

I followed your method but the light is still on. I am afraid to remove the battery plugs cos I read that I need Radio for that also I read on forums that there is a fuse for ECU and if i just remove it and plug it back it should clear the code.

Unfortunately, I dont have the manual for accord nor I can't find it online.. do you have a manual or fuse box diagram?

Thanks again..

PS I am waiting for the denso 02sensor kit which I ordered online. I will let you know how did it go after I installed it..

Much appreciated!!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you have an open in the circuit. Typically when you have these and try to clear a code, it will come right back on. I will get you a diagram for the fuse box and post it for you.

Btw, unhooking your battery will reset your radio, but you can get the radio code from Honda owners link, or I can get it for you from the serial number.

Anyways, let me know. And I will get a picture of that diagram and post it for you.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the underhood fuse box and the under dash fuse box.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove both battery terminals and hold them together for about 2 minutes that will clear the code.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks squeegee for the diagram... you are great!!!
I have been told that fuse number 7 is for ecu but in the diagram its different...now I gotta google again :/

I don't know what is open circuit and how can i fix that?

where is the serial number located?

Last edited by macaan; 09-14-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks JoyBoy for the reply but I am kinda a new in this and don't want to remove battery plugs until I know how to restore if something happens...

I have been reading and checking forums and saw radio not working after battery died or unplugged. why radio doesn't work and how to restore after plugging battery back?

Last edited by macaan; 09-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just need to have the code for the radio. Look in the owners manual - sometimes it is written in there, or there is a "credit card" size information card with the code or look on the glove box for a sticker with the code.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
You just need to have the code for the radio. Look in the owners manual - sometimes it is written in there, or there is a "credit card" size information card with the code or look on the glove box for a sticker with the code.
Thanks mate.. unfortunately I don't have the manual as I bought this car recently also I looked everywhere for the code but no luck..
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 2003 Accord ATS 2.4 Check Engine Light

Originally Posted by SqueegeeJ
It sounds like you have an open in the circuit. Typically when you have these and try to clear a code, it will come right back on. I will get you a diagram for the fuse box and post it for you.

Btw, unhooking your battery will reset your radio, but you can get the radio code from Honda owners link, or I can get it for you from the serial number.

Anyways, let me know. And I will get a picture of that diagram and post it for you.
I tried unhooking the battery and the light is still on..
no idea what you mean by open circuit and how fix that...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for not getting back with you macaan. Been busy at work. An open circuit is a circuit that is not receiving the voltage from a break in the circuit. If you were to cut a wire with a pair of dikes it is no considered an open circuit. Have you replaced the o2 sensor already? Have you checked the connections to the circuit from inside the vehicle to the cat? Also to get your serial number after you unhook your battery. Hold 1 and 6 on the audio unit and press power and release 1 and 6. Youll have an 8 digit serial number come up it may pop up in a sequence of four at a time but just wait for the next for. Reply back with your serial number and ill give you your radio code.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SqueegeeJ
Sorry for not getting back with you macaan. Been busy at work. An open circuit is a circuit that is not receiving the voltage from a break in the circuit. If you were to cut a wire with a pair of dikes it is no considered an open circuit. Have you replaced the o2 sensor already? Have you checked the connections to the circuit from inside the vehicle to the cat? Also to get your serial number after you unhook your battery. Hold 1 and 6 on the audio unit and press power and release 1 and 6. Youll have an 8 digit serial number come up it may pop up in a sequence of four at a time but just wait for the next for. Reply back with your serial number and ill give you your radio code.

Hi mate.. hope you doing good... I haven't changed the sensor yet as it takes 3 weeks to get the sensor to Dubai from ebay. I ordered normal 02 rear sensor but should I check the connections before replacing it?? maybe the current sensor is fine and the connection is broken or unplugged??? how to check?? I unplugged the battery but light is still on radio didn't ask for code had to adjust the clock.
I tried to get the serial number by pressing 1 and 6, it just showed Diag and thats it..

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well usually if there is an open in the circuit there is damage to the wiring. Juat usually. If the radio shows diag then you dont need a code. Its already unlocked. You can check the connections if you want by the pictures I posted.