Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

05 accord k24

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 accord k24

k24 has 116k on it. diagnose scored cylinder walls causing oil consumption. both of my cars are now experiencing this. 94 gsr and 05 accord lx. now my question is how does scored walls cause oil consumption. does the oil control rings no longer seal against the imperfection on the cylinder wall and cause the oil to build up on the top rings or what? if so oil would accumulate while going bdc since the oil control rings scrapes off the oil on the walls correct? someone that can explain it so i can understand and visualize. thank you
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 05 accord k24

bump
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2bdropped
k24 has 116k on it. diagnose scored cylinder walls causing oil consumption. both of my cars are now experiencing this. 94 gsr and 05 accord lx. now my question is how does scored walls cause oil consumption. does the oil control rings no longer seal against the imperfection on the cylinder wall and cause the oil to build up on the top rings or what? if so oil would accumulate while going bdc since the oil control rings scrapes off the oil on the walls correct? someone that can explain it so i can understand and visualize. thank you
Probably this:

"At ordinary engine speeds the inside of the crank case is in a condition of what can be aptly described as "oil fog," and although all the crankshaft bearings are fed directly with liquid oil, the cylinder itself should be supplied by "fog" only, which is much denser than one might imagine and quite equal to its work in this respect.

Any actual splash which gets on the walls simply leads to waste and carbonization through the oil getting past the rings into the combustion head and being burnt."

When an engine runs without oil, the cylinder wall may become scratched or "scored."

http://books.google.com/books?id=BtY...inders&f=false
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure how your cylinder walls got scorned but i bet oil dilution is from blowby of top rings, fuel byproducts getting into oil .
The oil rings are suppose to keep right amount of oil film on walls and if walls are scorned your emission would be bad (oil in exhaust, which also happens with bad blowby too ) .

PS: K24 have oil jets squirting oil at bottom of pistons .
Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i understand that part i cant visualize how the cylinder burns oil from the walls being scored. anyone can explain how the process start so that way i can try to picture it? does the oil ring no longer scrape it off the wall and the compression rings picks it off the wall and than burn it? idk trying to visualize anyone else knows?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Trial User

very simply, scored means a grove cut in the cylinder wall. That grove is an irregular imperfection that your rings cannot conform to and you have created a canal for the oil as well gases to escape, contaminate and burn your oil. Properly serviced the service life of the cylinder walls and rings are exceedingly long. The key is service inclusive of any requirements of reciprocating and cooling functionality. If your vehicle has experienced this particular type of damage, you should assume it's only the tip of the iceberg and the only logical choice would be another engine.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your first guess was correct:

" the oil control rings no longer seal against the imperfection on the cylinder wall and cause the oil to build up on the top rings or what?"

The oil ring can no longer push the oil down on the downstroke as it doesn't perfectly conform to the cylinder wall.

How much oil? Some consumption is also possible from the valve guide seals (unlikely in a car this new) or from a PCV valve stuck open.